Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 3, 2020   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Did anyone grow the new Mountaineer tomatoes from WV?

I see that Southern Exposure has them listed under red tomatoes as Mountaineer Delight and Mountaineer Pride. I'd like to hear first hand reports on the effectiveness of the Septoria resistance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2020   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

You certainly caught my attention with the "S" word! I certainly will try one of those varieties. But my experience with "Septoria resistance" to date has been poor. (The best has been Stellar F1.) Hopefully one of these days I'll find one that works here. Thanks for posting about these!
-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; November 11, 2020 at 06:33 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2020   #3
snagged
Tomatovillian™

Since no one else has replied, I will share my experience this year. Not a great one and I hope there's others who had better luck who can share. I had one plant of Mountaineer Delight. In early fruiting, it stunted and gnarled. I suspect due to either wet soils from the heavy rainfall or straw mulch herbicide residue. It was the only variety I had that did that this year. To its credit, it did survive and bounce back. Ultimately, I found nothing remarkable in the fruit and do not plan to grow again. With regards to leaf diseases, it did avoid those longer than some other varieties, but ultimately ended up getting leaf diseases. Again, we had a very wet year here in Georgia.

Again, not trying to bash the variety since it was only one plant in difficult growing conditions. Sounded like a promising project at WVU. So I hope my experience was an outlier.
snagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2020   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Are they OP varieties or hybrids like Mountain magic?
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2020   #5
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

They are OP. I planted both but in that garden I had no disease issues. I tried several other disease resistant varieties like manalucie and tropic. Manalucie had very small fruits. Before I had a chance to taste them I sold the house and the garden was no longer mine.
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote