Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 14, 2010   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Accessible potting desk: features?

I have been sitting "Indian style" for some weeks now while potting and clearly need a design for a potting desk. I cannot stand in one place for more than about 15 minutes. It would need overhead bins probably for dispensing bulk materials like soil...thinking about some sort of shoot system like an overhead bin and attached flexible "something" like a dryer style hose. An overhead water bucket with a valve to a tube for watering. Overhead storage for spare cups.

Underneath the working top would be room for a comfortable chair. PLENTY of accessible surface space around the desktop, but not too deep. Storage for things like markers, knife, seedling separating fork, etc..

On the left of the worktop would be the seedling tray. On the right, the finished potted plants. Not sure what would be the best surface area, but it should be easy to clean and impervious to water. Probably a surround on three sides to keep things from falling off while working. GOOD overhead lighting beneath the bins. Other ideas for features? Optimal dimensions? Materials?

Your thoughts, ideas or sources of information would be greatly appreciated!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2010   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensplace View Post
I have been sitting "Indian style" for some weeks now while potting and clearly need a design for a potting desk. I cannot stand in one place for more than about 15 minutes. It would need overhead bins probably for dispensing bulk materials like soil...thinking about some sort of shoot system like an overhead bin and attached flexible "something" like a dryer style hose. An overhead water bucket with a valve to a tube for watering. Overhead storage for spare cups.

Underneath the working top would be room for a comfortable chair. PLENTY of accessible surface space around the desktop, but not too deep. Storage for things like markers, knife, seedling separating fork, etc..

On the left of the worktop would be the seedling tray. On the right, the finished potted plants. Not sure what would be the best surface area, but it should be easy to clean and impervious to water. Probably a surround on three sides to keep things from falling off while working. GOOD overhead lighting beneath the bins. Other ideas for features? Optimal dimensions? Materials?

Your thoughts, ideas or sources of information would be greatly appreciated!
You mention that you have problems standing for any length of time. But what about lifting anything into an overhead position? Or do you want overhead storage that swings down for filling/accessing and then swings back and locks? There are systems for kitchen cupboards that do this now for accessible use. But the frame that allows it to swing down has to be wall anchored. So your potting bench would have to find a permanent place to have something like that. Is this something you want to be portable or permanently installed wherever? Let me know your thoughts on that...and I'll try drafting up something....I've done some accessible designs in the past for clients....but granted not potting benches. LOL

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2010   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Getting into overhead storage etc. is way too complicated for me, and since I only need it with any intensity maybe 4-6 weeks out of the year, I personally could not justify the expense of building anything too elaborate. Perhaps a work area made of low tables in a semi-circle, or a U shape, with a swivel stool in the middle would be a simple solution. Extra bags of soil/transplant mix store under the table, the current working tub of soil is on the center table in front of you, incoming trays to your right, transplanted pots to your left. I keep pre-warmed buckets of water on the floor near me, scoop up as needed with a large plastic cup.

I wish I did have a swivel chair, I just sit on a little green "weeding" stool. The problem is getting the height between the chair and the work surface just right to alleviate back strain, yet provide enough knee room. Wish I had one of those old fashioned spinning piano stools so I could go from near standing to sitting to help stretch out the old spine.

I like to browse in stores like Home Depot and imagine gardening uses for various huge utility tubs and coated wire closet racks.

Zana, I'd love to see what you come up with. One of these days I'm going to build me a new greenhouse! Though really, it could be ok to have the potting area outside and let the mess fall where it may, at least in areas that warm up faster than it does here.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2010   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

You two are probably right in that I would prefer for this to be able to be moved. It just seems to be a major hassle having to wrap myself around a huge Rubbermaid container and I couldn't come up with a desktop that would allow me to work without making a real mess and having to reach over a desktop container. Maybe a two piece unit like some computer desks where the top unit sits atop the desk? My earlier thought was for a bin on the top that would dispense the soil through a flexible tube, but filling it would probably be a multi- stage process rather than lifting a huge bag. maybe a Rubbermaid bin on a shelf? I had the idea of using one of my beer brewers that has a spigot and hose for filling bottles, but a separate rubbermaid bin next to the soil bin could also be use for water with a simple spigot & hose added. Fortunately the potting soil is not all that heavy, but it could be set on a shelf and filled with a bucket and the movable step ladder with deep steps that I already have. This way, the top unit could be taken down if and when it is not needed, but as much as I will be using the bins for other projects like working with my orchids, I bet it would stay up most of the time. Too, the lights could be mounted beneath the shelf or even a second shelf for plants during the off season. THANKS so much for your thoughts and assistance! mensplace@bellsouth.net
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2010   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'd think about the chair first: comfortable and rolling, maybe an old office chair, adjustable height so you could fit it ergonomically to the table.

Table: size would be determined by your available space. I like tables to be as large as possible.

Soil: You could make rolling carts for soil by attaching one or two of those wheeled platforms (made for large container plants) to the bottom of a plastic bin. You could roll this bin under your table when not in use, and cover it. You could roll it over to where you store your unopened bags to refill. Make a scoop from a plastic gallon jug (from detergent or whatever) to transfer soil from the storage bin to your smaller bin on the table. Or instead, you could make a platform for the bin so it's the right height for reaching into as you sit in your chair.

Water: if you have a hose bib and a hose, add a hose-end sprayer that you could shut off at your end.

Supplies: Rather than reaching across the potting area or risk knocking things off the edge, I'd position my potting table next to a wall so that I could put small supplies (pens, labels, etc., as well as seeds) on shelves attached to the side wall, or on a bookshelf against that wall. They'd also be out of range of stray sprays of hose or soil. If I had a shelving unit, I'd use the bottom shelves (under the table) to store empty containers.

Do you want everything overhead because it's easier to reach up than to reach down?
If all the heavy items were overhead or if I had to reach across a wide table a lot, I'd worry about overworking my shoulders.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote