Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 11, 2011   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Garlic in Zone 6

Last year I planted garlic from heads (hardneck Italian something or other)I bought from an organic farmer in NY State at a market, allowed it to grow all winter underground, and then in July harvested a few heads of garlic. It was delicious, but small. I had 4 large cloves on each head. I wondered if I should have waited later to harvest them, but the leaves were dying, so I assumed it was time (we did have a terribly hot July so it could have been a false reading). I didn't do much to the soil, but it was in the garden.

So now I have some garlic I got from Territorial which just arrived last week. A Spanish variety, and a California variety (no idea how they will do in NJ). I am going to re-amend the soil, should I add some amendments to increase root development? I really would like to have more than 4 cloves per head of garlic next year!

Thanks for any suggestions
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote