Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 10, 2012   #1
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee Coir Pellets versus Jiffy Peat Pellets

I had several of the Jiffy branded 12 cell seed starter "Greenhouse" kits from last year. I was very dissatisfied with them as the materials were paper thin and the covers fall off everytime you move or handle them. I picked up several Burpee branded 10 cell seed starter "Greenhouse" kits at Lowes to try because I liked the look of how the clear covers attached or rather snapped into the bases. These use coir pellets instead of peat.

I give the Burpee bases and lids an A+ for their quality and fit of the materials. I know I will be using those trays and lids for starting seedling for years to come. However, I must give a D- to the coir pellets that came in them. They were great in that they expand very quickly. However, I started the same variety of Buttercrunch lettuce on Feb. 11 in the Burpee coir pellets and Jiffy peat pellets. Four weeks later the Jiffy started plants are full, happy and ready to set out with a few days hardening off first. The Burpee started plants are less than a fourth their size. I am now starting to feed them. Hopefully in another three weeks I can have them ready.

I will get a few more of the Burpee trays but their pellets will go into the composter

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coir , coir pellets , peat , peat pellets