Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Best Light Spectrum for growing seedlings

This year I will be growing less seedlings due to space limitations and since my lighting setup is to big for my growing space I decided to look into LED lighting. As I will be using this unit for seedling growth only I wanted to find out what wavelength would be the best as one nice thing about LED's is it is very easy to select different light spectrums just by getting the appropriate color LED's.

Here is the wavelengths for the different colors.

470nm=Blue
525nm=Green
590nm=yellow
625nm=Red

I found this site that breaks down the different Wavelengths and what works best for the different phases of plant growth.

http://blog.globalhardwarestore.com/...row-system.pdf

So for my unit I will select one with Blue LED's which are in the 470nm range.
Ami
Old March 14, 2012   #2
Michael
Tomatovillian™

Default Michael01 / LED Lighting VS Fluorescent

I have sold lighting for 40 years, but only into gardening for 10 years (I am pretty serious about my gardening). I like to use fluorescent, using 4-lamp 2 x 4 troffers with no lens, alternating between 850k and 830k lamps. These are pendant mounted with chain, 2" above plants, once germinated. This has worked very well for me in the past several years. LED is pretty expensive, and depending on which lamp you use, can be concentrated, with much lower light output. While I may not have as much experience as some of you, I have a lot of information available to me.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #3
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I am new to gardening really. Over the years I have Planted a few basic dirt gardens that mostly did well. I live in So.Cal. so its pretty easy really. That being said, I find these days that heirlooms from seed really appeal to me. I would like to figure out a "Good" general setup for seedlings and young plants. Are there any setups that "Harden" the young plants a little better so that when I take them outside to harden off I do not have to be quite as paranoid?

Thanks all for any assistance!
Gary
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #4
Michael
Tomatovillian™

I don't know of any magic for hardening off. I have a deck with an 8' overhang, and set them out in a shaded area for a day or two. Then, put them on our picnic table a few hours at a time in the sun. The sun time increases, as they get older. I take about 10 days to get them ready for the garden. Bringing them in at night when the forecast warrants.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I don't know of any magic for hardening off. I have a deck with an 8' overhang, and set them out in a shaded area for a day or two. Then, put them on our picnic table a few hours at a time in the sun. The sun time increases, as they get older. I take about 10 days to get them ready for the garden. Bringing them in at night when the forecast warrants.
I do the same. I also try to grow them outside in nicer weather, bringing in when nights are cool.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2012   #6
Diriel
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys, I will just be extra careful with them. Even my wife is getting excited about having a garden, and normally she is just kind of "Meh" about such things. This might just turn into a nice year!

Gary
Diriel is offline   Reply With Quote