Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2012   #16
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

BTW, I'm using a potting mix comprised of 1 part FoxFarms Light Warrior 3/4 part FoxFarms Ocean Forest blend. I haven't added any fertilizer to the seedlings yet, but I'm considering a dilute application of a kelp/fish fert I have, as I've noticed a prevalence of purple on the underside of the leaves of most of the seedlings. I believe that is a sign of phosphorus deficiency, the uptake of which can be hampered by cold roots, which I do not have in this room that runs ~65-85F.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2012   #17
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStPaul View Post
"I know that those of us in the colder climes won't even be sowing seeds until around the first of April."

Call me crazy, a gambler, or both, but this colder climes guy is sowing this weekend--with tunnels and soil-warming cables waiting in the wings. I intend to have a lot of late-ripening bicolors by mid-August this year or know the reason why (I expect I'll know the reason why, ha). Gary
I started sowing seeds a few weeks ago. I have an unheated GH that the seedlings/plants will be moved out to permanetely, after the final transplanting. If I want to have the later maturing tomatoes ripen before a heavy frost they need to be started early.

Getting back to the thread, I sowed seeds from Carolyn's offer on Feb. 8th. Most were up in seven day's. But one of the varieties only started germinating four days ago. So it took almost 4 weeks to see any germination of one seedling. All were presoaked in green tea for 24 hours prior to sowing. I usually dont presoak my seeds unless they are fairly old seeds, but I just wanted to help the germination along. So dont give up hope yet. i am still hoping for a few more to germinate.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #18
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I was able to germinate Indian Stripe no problem. Russian Queen I sowed all seeds, 0 germinated, Hoy I sowed all seeds, 0 germinated, and Lucinda I thought I had 1 seed germinate, but looking at the leaves, I think it was a stray from the cell next door as it does not have the SFT foliage I thought it would have so most likely, it did not germinate either. All seeds were sown 2/19. Thankfully I did have a few Hoy from another member here at TV and those did germinate for me.

Only those, and one from the dwarf project, and one commercial seed from Mariannas that I have started several times to no avail, are the ones that never germinated out of 35 varieties of tomatoes started.

Peppers on the other hand, are being much more finicky as are my onions. Kale and Chard are troopers as always!

I have them on heat mats 24 hours a day in the house so I know the temps are nice and warm. I'm bringing them into the basement once true leaves appear to slow down the growth under lights.
Old March 7, 2012   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I was able to germinate Indian Stripe no problem. Russian Queen I sowed all seeds, 0 germinated, Hoy I sowed all seeds, 0 germinated, and Lucinda I thought I had 1 seed germinate, but looking at the leaves, I think it was a stray from the cell next door as it does not have the SFT foliage I thought it would have so most likely, it did not germinate either. All seeds were sown 2/19. Thankfully I did have a few Hoy from another member here at TV and those did germinate for me.

Only those, and one from the dwarf project, and one commercial seed from Mariannas that I have started several times to no avail, are the ones that never germinated out of 35 varieties of tomatoes started.

Peppers on the other hand, are being much more finicky as are my onions. Kale and Chard are troopers as always!

I have them on heat mats 24 hours a day in the house so I know the temps are nice and warm. I'm bringing them into the basement once true leaves appear to slow down the growth under lights.
Since the germination thread is now up why don't you post your results there and then you can compare with what others got with the same seeds.

But since the seeds for the Indian Stripe and Indian Stripe Potato Leaf ones were produced by different folks it's good to be sure that you specify which one you were working with so I know if there are problems with one of them.
Old April 3, 2012   #20
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

This was my first year starting tomatoes from seed. I was blown away by how variable the germination times were for a couple of varieties. Most varieties germinated in 4 days, but two varieties (Blondkopfchen and Paul Robeson) took between 5 and 60+ days. I planted 12 varieties, 3 to 6 seeds each. All the seeds were from Tomatofest except one variety (Sungold). Out of 48 seeds planted, 47 germinated -- not too shabby: 98%. The only variety that didn't have 100% germination was Druzba, with 2/3 germinating. But why half the Paul Robeson seeds and half the Blondkopfchen seeds took 36-60+ days, whereas the other half of these seeds took 3-6 days is a mystery to me. Same 72-cell tray, with the same potting mix, on the same heat mat, etc. I had decided the 30+ day ones were no shows. I was wrong!
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote