Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 3, 2012   #16
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I think it is really neat to watch the different varieties as they grow. Some germinate and come up strong and hardy as if to say "hey, look at me, I've arrived and I can't wait to grow big and strong" and others seem to say "are you crazy? Why are you doing this to me? I was warm and cozy and sleeping until you came along" lol....

I am also re=growing Little White Rabbit which I got from Tania. My original plant I'd given a friend who eventually killed it from too little light. I agree, it's so pretty and the leaves have a fine cut look to them when they are small. Definately remind me of ferns too in a way. Red Barn is very slow to germinate for some reason, I see germination, but it's taking it's sweet time to move along into anything recognizable. The Indian tomato seeds I'd gotten from someone are FAST .... out of the gate first in the tray, and growing like weeds, very hardy little guys. Japanese Black Trifele just doesn't seem too strong of a grower at all. Some seedlings are getting HUGE already and when you compare them to their cousins who were sown at the same time, you would think they had a couple of weeks head start. Czech Dwarf Bush seems to be the hardiest of all the seeds I've sown so far, and a fast grower at that. Venetian Market is another strong fast grower as is Gildo Pietroboni and Bulgarian Rosa Riese. Sungold is growing too fast and is now my tallest of all.

I think it's fun to geek out at the differences in each plant and cheer them on