Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 14, 2014   #1
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Default Grrrrrr - frustrated with my pepper plants

They are growing well enough but they are harboring aphid fugitives and I can't get rid of them.

This is the only picture I have... taken about a month ago and the plants are bigger and bushier and more leaves closer together now. Hundreds or thousands of aphids are hiding under the leaves. Have sprayed every single leaf top and underside several times now with neem oil and water mixture and with soapy water mixture. Works for a few days and then they are back.

What to do? My tomato plants don't have the aphids like this YET... but I am about ready to burn the pepper plant aphid hosts. But then the aphids won't have the peppers to suck dry.

Help!

Thanks,
Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

They do that to my peppers too, but mine are nowhere near as lush as yours are. I spray with soapy water, then come back and blast them off with a hose on the underside of the plant. All I can say is that for some reason their population seems to stabilize at an acceptable level by early summer.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...light=ladybugs

Raybo found a good deal in #22 by Hirts(Ladybugs).I just did my peppers,gardenias,citrus two weeks ago.They do work,and is less expensive,eco friendly and they eliminate a lot more than just aphids.
Old May 15, 2014   #4
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Two fellow Floridians.... :-) thanks for the input. I will try the ladybugs.

Ginny
Old May 15, 2014   #5
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

How well did the ladybugs handle shipping?

Ginny
Old May 15, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

They come in a mesh net,box with holes punched,a sticker with "Live Ladybugs".When you get them it is recommended to put in fridge or cool place.I use some designer water(no chlorine tap)mix some of the nectar (comes with)and sprinkle some for the thirsty little buggers.Then in the evening when cool spray some nectar mix in the target spots(underneath leaf infestation areas )Cut corner of bag,keep one of those office type clamps handy.When you turn the cut end open and upwards they will stream out.Usually at base of plant at stalks and underside of leaves.If you need a break to move to another area shake off the emerging babys turn over the mesh and clamp then move on.I do this almost every other year to keep a good poulation in the area.I do it when my nieces are around they really enjoy it and it is a great introduction to nature for them.
Old May 16, 2014   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I was very lucky this year as the ladybugs arrived early and that was a surprise with the cold we had. As a result I have not had to spray my peppers one single time this year. Usually by the time I am setting them out to harden off they are starting to get aphids but not a ladybug in sight. If you have a light infestation the soapy water and neem work okay; but if it is very heavy then I hit them with a very soapy water mix with Permethrin in it and wait 3 or 4 days and do it again making sure to get the underside of every leaf both times. Five years ago I kept using the soapy water and neem and each time they returned with more aphids til they ended up ruining some of my pepper plants. This is the first year in a very long time where I haven't seen a single aphid on a pepper plant yet. If they are on them the ladybugs are getting them before they get large enough for me to spot.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #8
Kazfam
Tomatovillian™

Check out this link for ladybug info...also tels how to make a ladybug feeder to attract them to your garden.

AND ladybugs eat pollen - article lists some flowering plants that will attract them.

Here is the link: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-...-garden-169681

We have lots of the Pink Spotted Ladybug - a great little creature - see info here: http://www.urbanwildlifeguide.net/20...d-ladybug.html
I mention it because we first thought it was a pest - but thankfully it is not.

Last edited by Kazfam; June 2, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Kazfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2014   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I find that the praying mantis does a much better job. Lady bugs eat , lay larvae and leave. The larvae eats the bulk of the aphids. But when the aphids are gone they to leave. The praying mantis however eats a broader range of bugs including aphids and tends to stay on one plant most of its life. Plus the mantis is just cool looking.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote