Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 11, 2014   #1
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Default Burmese Looking To The Sky Peppers

Has anyone grown these before? I had never heard of them until I was asked to grow them. From what I have read they are medium hot but I have yet to see their scoville rating to figure out how hot they really are.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2014   #2
Hermitian
BANNED

Typically peppers with this growth habit (peppers upward) have their origins in the Tabasco region of the Mexican Yucatan peninsula. It wasn't until 1526 when a Spanish galleon made port in Manilla that the eastern hemisphere had seeds and plants from the new world. Since then of course, many cultivars have been raised across the globe. My estimate is that since this is a Tabasco type plant, it has the capacity to produce peppers in the 30k to 50k scoville range depending upon your environment.

Last edited by Hermitian; March 11, 2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: when
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #3
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the information. I always like to know as much of a seed's history as I can. It is usually easy to find a lot of information about a pepper but this one does not get mentioned in the usual pepper sites. I guess it is not a popular pepper but I will grow it out and see what it is like.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote