Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 12, 2014   #16
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Salt Peter is what they use in stump rotting solutions, it breaks down cellulose. The seed hulls on pepper seeds tend to be very hard. The salt peter softens the outside of the seed making water penetration easier and seedling break through easier.
Old June 21, 2014   #17
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Saltpeter is commonly used in seed germination testing with peppers and other nightshades -- better helps the seeds germinate in the sterile environment of paper towels.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #18
Axixic
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
I forgot to add that I recently read an article that touted using Hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 1 tablespoon to 1 cup water. The article soaked seeds from the same pod in plain water, salt peter solution and the HP solution for 24 hours. Article said the HP soaked seeds germinated faster and more of them germinated that the others in the water and salt peter solution soaks. I think I will give this a try next season and do my own comparison.

There are also those that proclaim that Camomile tea or regular tea also makes an efficient soak (supposedly, it's the tannin in tea..)

I've been soaking seeds in HP and water this month and I'm getting almost 100% germination. I especially soak seeds that I have very few of so that I don't waste them.

I bought more butterfly bush seeds because the ones I didn't soak didn't sprout. I soaked the new ones ad they sprouted in a few days. The instructions were to refrigerate the seeds for 4 weeks and it still could take 3 months to germinate. Soaking and not refrigerating made them sprout in less than a week.

I planted Sea Kale last year and none sprouted. This year I soaked and all seeds are sprouting.
Axixic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2014   #19
TerpGal
Tomatovillian™

I had a heck of a time with my hot peppers this year. I put about 3 seeds each in peat pellets, under a dome on top of a heat mat. Never had a problem terminating this way before. None came up, and I used my last Corne De Chevre seeds that were about 3 years old. Then I decided to do the paper towel method on top of the fridge. All seeds were new this year. The Padron seeds sprouted in about a week. The Cayenne and Scotch Bonnet however took almost 3 weeks. No Corne De Chevres this year, super bummer. We are growing Ancho instead.
TerpGal is offline   Reply With Quote