Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 11, 2006   #1
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Jersey Barkolyn [more pics 8-3-06]

Okay, here are three photos of a Ramapo F4 tomato from F4 seeds Barkeater sent me in late 2005. He got his F3 seeds from Carolyn. Barkeater said his seeds were tough to germinate, but I got four started, and planted two at home and two out in my seed garden.

The tomato is almost round, but ever so slightly oblate at 3.25 inches wide by about 3.0 inches tall. Ignore the caption "F5" on the background ... my mistake ... this is Ramapo F4.

Here is a shot of the blossom end:

Okay, ignore the "F5" designation again ... well the seeds are F5 anyway ... but the tomato is the same F4 in the other shots.

This tomato was the first to ripen off the four Ramapo F4 vines I have. It ripened all the way through, but just had a little white membrane inside the seed cells toward the top of the tomato. Boy, was it juicy and delicious. And I'm sure they'll get tastier as the summer goes along.

Thank you Carolyn and Barkeater for a great Jersey Tomato

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2006   #2
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

They definitely got better for me last year. I was very disappointed with my first one. The later ones shouldn't have such a large blossom scar as the one in your picture, but your's have the distinctive lobes, segments, or whatever they are called that I had. Very meaty tomato too!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #3
honu
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic,
Thanks for sharing the photos and descriptions.
Do you have a photo of the plant as well?
I'd like to compare to the one I'm growing.
Does it stay low and bushy?

Bark,
Thank you so much for letting me try Ramapo F4.
I finally spotted the first fruit set yesterday, even with our high humidity, so I am so excited.
I am impressed with this plant's ability to stay healthy here, and it's so pretty, I just love looking at it every day!
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Honu,

I have some more photos that I'll post up maybe in the middle of the week.

I have three plants left. Two at home and one left at the seed garden.

They all are very robust but not necessarily any taller than any of their neighbors. One of the ones at home is a little more robust than its Big Beef neighbor on one side and definitely taller than the Cherokee Green on the other side. But all in all, the only one that stayed what I would call short was the one at the seed garden ... and it's put out some smaller fruit that appears a different shade of red ... a more yellow skin I think ... but that may be due to hours of sun and some harsher conditions.

All three plants are putting out fruit that has that kinda white membrane holding the gel pack to the core walls in the seed cells. And all three have a rather tart taste with the one plant that put out the one in the photo above having the sweetest undertones of the three (and the only one of the three with that pinkish look).

Wait and be the judge of some other very minor appearance differences yourself when I post the pictures mid-week. Like I said, the differences could possibly be related to growing conditions which are different for each of the three plants.

PV
Old August 3, 2006   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

Okay, here are some Ramapo F4s that were grown out in all day, full sun, under harsh conditions, in shallow soil, sparse straw mulch, high heat, heavy rain, all the adversity one could pray for.

As you can see, they run 2.5 to 3 inches or so, have redder skin tone, and the skins are a little more thick than the one in the first picture in this thread.

Here are those same tomatoes taken without a flash.

Here's another tomato from a vine grown right next to the vine that bore the tomatoes above. Same harsh conditions.

Here's that single tomato sliced up.

PV
Old August 4, 2006   #6
honu
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Papa Vic! My mouth is watering!
Looking forward to seeing your whole plant photos.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote