Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2018   #361
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations on getting tomatoes in May!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #362
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Great results! So early fruit!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #363
bower
Tomatovillian™

Really amazing, Vladimir!
Hope all your health diagnostics go well.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #364
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir,

Excellent results - especially since you had reported a late start due to a long cold winter. It will be interesting to see if your selection for early flowering pays off after a few years.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #365
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The weather from mid-April as extremely warm (record) and dry. No frost, so I did not need to put windows on the cold bed. I do not know how it would look if the weather was worse. I'll see next year.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg April.jpg (62.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg May.jpg (51.3 KB, 271 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #366
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday, it was 15 days since I harvested the first ripe tomato. Meanwhile, I had 15 tomatoes - 3 Sophie's choice, 2 Sarayev Shtambovyi, 1 Mongolskyi karlik, 1 Sarayev Otbor 1, 5 Sarayev Gruntovy and 2 - I forgot the variety of those mentioned. Dmes I tasted three varieties - Sophies Choice, Sarayev Gruntovyi and Sarayev Otbor 1. All I tasted very much. The taste of S.Otbor and S.gruntova was very similar, which did not surprise me, since they came from the same stable. Taste a balanced acidity with sweetness. In S. Choice I felt more sweet at the end of the tasting, which suits me.
Quite disappointing is that no tomatoes have ever been found on allegedly frost-resistant varieties of sarayevs - M-22 and 0-33 and also Jagodka. I do not need frost-resistant tomatoes for my cold bed, so I will not try these tomatoes anymore. I will also not cultivate varieties that I have already discarded last year: Sarayev Stoikyi, Sarayev Druzhnyi, 46 days, Kalinka, Latah, Maglia Rosa, Mountain Princess, Polarnyj Skorspelyj, Sarayev I-2 and Urbikany.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2099.jpg (314.6 KB, 231 views)
Old June 7, 2018   #367
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for sharing your results and conclusions, Vladimir. So important to distinguish between cold or frost tolerance and the ability to produce early fruit under cool conditions. Also great to know you found those early ones tasty enough.
Old June 7, 2018   #368
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I grow several of the same varieties outside in AK
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #369
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Maybe that someone will seem early, but I'm already preparing for the season in 2019. I know that I will grow in the deep pastures of Sarayev Gruntov, Saryev Otbor 1 and Sophie's choice, a total of about eight to ten plants. The remaining seven plants should be for me new determinant varieties with a height of about 2 feet, fruit slicer, early. One of them will certainly be Polish variety Poranok. For the second hotbed (low, height only one and a half feet) I still have two varieties (Mongolskyi karlik and Sarayev Shtambovyi) I would like to try another four unknown to me yet. One of them will surely be Polish Betalux.
I made a small selection of Tatiana's Tomato base:
Siletz, Manitoba, Bush Chabarovsky, Demidov, Early Annie, Klusha, Morden Yellow, Naliv, New Yorker, Ondraszek, Oregon spring, Peremoga 165, S4cotia, Superbec, Volgograd, Zaryanka, Ida gold.
I would like Tomatovillans to express these varieties or recommend me another. I would like Tomatovillans to express these varieties or recommend me another.
Vladimír
PS.:Cultivating the new ones will be the real fun for me.
Old June 8, 2018   #370
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Maybe that someone will seem early, but I'm already preparing for the season in 2019. I know that I will grow in the deep pastures of Sarayev Gruntov, Saryev Otbor 1 and Sophie's choice, a total of about eight to ten plants. The remaining seven plants should be for me new determinant varieties with a height of about 2 feet, fruit slicer, early. One of them will certainly be Polish variety Poranok. For the second hotbed (low, height only one and a half feet) I still have two varieties (Mongolskyi karlik and Sarayev Shtambovyi) I would like to try another four unknown to me yet. One of them will surely be Polish Betalux.
Siletz, Manitoba, Bush Chabarovsky, Demidov, Early Annie, Klusha, Morden Yellow, Naliv, New Yorker, Ondraszek, Oregon spring, Peremoga 165, S4cotia, Superbec, Volgograd, Zaryanka, Ida gold.
I would like Tomatovillans to express these varieties or recommend me another. I would like Tomatovillans to express these varieties or recommend me another.
Vladimír
Listing what I know something about

Siletz, grew it but if it was great I think I'd remember more

Manitoba, from that Canadian site where lots of varieties are listed and were bred,OK,nothing special for me

Early Annie,yes,a good one

Naliv,I have it as Beyli (sp?)Naliv, ver ygood

New Yorker, this New Yorker of course knows it well,a standard market variety, very reliable,but I don't see it as being an early one.

Oregon Spring, is pretty good but is parthenocarpic so don't look for many seeds to be saved

Scotia, again I think from Canada and their breeding program

Superbec, I received seeds for Superbec, Petibec,and several other becs from Raymond Tratt in Canada and sent them all to Glen Drowns at Sandhill Preservation and I'm sure he still lists them with more info at his new Sandhill Preservation site.All the becs are early and quite good, so says Glenn.

Volograd,I was sent seeds and none of them germinated

Zaryanka, I have as Zolotaya Zanareka, seed production done by Bill Minkey, who says...indet,RL, 3 oz yellow paste, teardrop shape,point on blossom end, good to very good flavor,high yields.I still have seeds here at home.

Your Guntovi one I have as Gruntovii Griboskii(sp?), and isn't Sarayev whose name is part of several varieties the one who bred them,that's what I remember Tania once saying.

Finally,I need to check my data book since there are a few varieties that were always somewhat early and delicious and I need to find them for you.

And of course Sophie's Choice I do like very,I was the lucky one to whom seeds were first sent and the history is at Tania's website.

Carolyn
Old June 8, 2018   #371
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

I can comment on Oregon Spring, growing it for the first time this year and this is only from my limited experience..

Cold tolerance -- Very good

Earliness -- I don't think it will be very early, it's listed as 70-75 days from one of the local seed suppliers. I have some fruits set but I think other varieties will come in earlier

Size -- My plant is at about 3ft already and it seems to have more of a compact indeterminate habit. It will likely get to 4-5 feet..

The earliest tomato that I've grown is definitely Gold Nugget, it's a cherry though.. I usually expect to get ripe fruit in June from that plant, which is pretty good for out cool spring climate.
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2018   #372
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir,

Tatiana is currently distributing a superior version of Sasha's Altai from Mark Oathout of Wasilla, Alaska (AKmark?), and you may want to consider trying these. I was pleasantly suprised by them in 2017 & am growing multiples this season. I have original seeds if you want to try them. Another to consider is Arctic Fire.

I was not impressed by Siletz, Manitoba and Oregon spring when I tried them here.

rg

Quote:
Vladimír

Last edited by RJGlew; June 8, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018   #373
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Vladimir,here are some suggestions for you ,
I told you I'd get back to you and I hope I can find the links I saved to transfer to here.

First,from Jeff Casey's in Canada,his list of red ones.

http://caseysheirloomtomatoes.ca/see...--red.html#top

for early mostly det ones

Bloody Butcher
Kimberly
Lyana
Mano

And my personal fave

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Danko

And now a really interesting one in my opinion.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...irdrie_Classic

This one I find very interesting since I was sent seeds by Stanley Zubrowski in Canada and he had crossed some earlies with Brandywine,the only earlies I remember were Glacier and Siberian,but there were three more.

He had done what most don't do and that's to use for instance Glacier as the female recipient and had pollinated with Brandywine pollen,and then did the reverse.

I grew all of them out and offered them in seed offer at the original Garden Web,now Houzz. Jeff Casey requested several of them,they needed to be grown out to stabilize them,he did and named one of them after his daughter and son, as indicated in the link above.

I hope that some I've noted above you will consider and might work well for you for next summer.

Carolyn,who forgot to mention that Tania has a HUGE long list of earlies, too long for me to go through and Jeff Casey also has the same but the ones I referred to are DET, and that's what you asked about since not all earlies are Det.
Old June 16, 2018   #374
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Season 2018
I want to sow very early determinant tomato varieties already on November 21st. It's a month earlier than last year when I sowed them on December 21st. At the beginning of April, I want to plant plants with already small fruit (not just flowering).
Beyond the Mongolskyi Karlik variety I will not try any new variety. I will cultivate the varieties that have proven to me this year (0-33, M-22, Sarayev Shtambovyi and Sophie's Choice) as well as some varieties from the unsuccessful year 2015 when the bacterial spots destroyed all of these determinant tomatoes.
They will:
Iceberg (Glacier)
Sarayev Gruntovyi
Jagodka (favorite tomato of Joseph)
Stupické polní rané
Sarayev Otbor 1 (tomato, whose seeds have brought me a bacterial spots)-
I need to clean the seeds of Sarayev Otbor 1 by dipping in bleach or in warm water according to the following instructions:
„ If it is not possible to acquire disease-free tomato seeds, your seeds should be submerged for one minute in 1.3% sodium hypochlorite, which helps eliminate bacteria on their surface. Another option exists in submerging the seeds in 122-degree Fahrenheit water for 25 minutes. This will affect surface and inner seed bacteria, but might adversely affect the plant’s germination.“
Vladimír
Seeds of Otbor 1 I have been treated with hypochlorite. They germinated well. Now they repayed me (see picture). All three plants I had to rip. I just hope the others do not. Tomorrow, I'll do everything by spraying.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2135.jpg (335.7 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; June 16, 2018 at 01:04 AM.
Old June 16, 2018   #375
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have not grown Scotia myself nor tasted it but I've seen it growing at my friend's farm. It is a reliable producer here, as far as I know. Lots of medium sized red tomatoes. Another farmer grew this one here for years.