Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 22, 2018   #211
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Might not be enough volume in the buckets to do it with okra or many other reasons.
Hard to tell from this far away.
But they do have to have a drain hole, whether you use it or not is up to the amount of water (if any water) in the container.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #212
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Salt,
In your words.
Gardening has helped me tremendously even through the years of RKN and Fusarium Wilt 3. It has kept me busy, and this year's new-to-me container gardening has kept me busy learning. This garden is/are just baby steps.
I can only give you words on a page. But I feel that my garden is not only an outlet for my mind to explore, but a way to put those thoughts to work. I enjoy a challange. Container gardening for me has been a rollercoaster. It can make your buttcheeks tight, but when you get off the ride. It's a whole new world. I feel we will all fail or at least stumble. But if we continue, we'll all learn and be a better person for it.
Aloha & Best wishes,
Tom
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #213
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Aloha

My mind is saying, "Yes, do it." My body is saying, "No @#$% - not yet" ...I'll see the doctor tomorrow.

I didn't want to show pictures until I had the garden fully put together, but my body isn't agreeing. The first picture is of the super hybrids grown in infected ground. What looks like weeds are dwarf French marigolds.

The second and third picture are of the container gardens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01302.JPG (158.3 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01303.JPG (170.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01304.JPG (175.1 KB, 167 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #214
Tomzhawaii
Tomatovillian™

Looks great. Nothing to be ashamed of there. Marigolds are great for pests and vermin too. Good choice. Have a good one.
Tomzhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #215
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you, but it is far from what I want it to look like. I just spent money on fixing our quarter mile long driveway - the money I had for buying the cypress mulch. Picture #2 in post #213 shows where I ran out - that's bare infected soil - I hope to pick up some No Float cypress mulch tomorrow. I have $24 left until the first of June.

Today there was more tomato plant wilt during the hot and humid part of the day. An hour after the plants were in shade, I watered them (Watering always means using 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate.)

Picture #2 in post #213 also shows why I jokingly call the 5 gallon buckets, "Texas-sized Beer Cups" I have a problem with plants growing leggy when in solo cup stage...and now I'm feeding them in a bigger similar shaped container...
Old May 23, 2018   #216
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Frankly, I envy your setup. I wish I could have even half of what you've got going on! If I were you, I'd be proud.

All I can do is have a handful (typically four or five) 5-gallon buckets sitting on the driveway... and I have to carry them into the garage at night and bring them back out in the morning so the deer don't eat them.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #217
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Great job, it all looks fantastic!

"There are only two ways to live your life: as though nothing is a miracle, or as though everything is a miracle."
Albert Einstein
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #218
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Well done!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2018   #219
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you again
I found where the wilt was coming from...a broken branch. It was literally hanging on by a thread. The cage was propping it up. I think the dog did it.
Old May 23, 2018   #220
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just watched the local weather forecast. This May could very well be the hottest on record here - at least since pre 1898. What a year to try container gardening, but it makes things interesting. As I have written many times before - I will let you know how things grow or not.

As a side note: I did see our family doctor today. He prescribed Tylenol 3 with codeine 30MG for me to take whenever I feel it is needed (Every 8 hours apart). I feel comfortable with that prescription. I didn't want a pain medicine that I have to take daily. As each day goes by, I hope to get the new cages built and in place tomorrow. I never know what tomorrow is going to be like until it happens health-wise.

Something special: Many people have written here and on other threads and PMs that they like the way I write. That is beyond special to me, and I thank you very much.
Old May 24, 2018   #221
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am glad you will have some recourse for the pain if you feel you need it, Salt.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #222
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, your plants seem to look like they are healthy by the pics you posted.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #223
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I just need to get out there and give them the attention they need. I've been feeding the yellow summer squash with the 4-18-38 / 15.5-0-0 Calcium Nitrate / Magnesium Sulfate too.. Mark, you know I had to give it a try - they are growing like weeds.

Sue, I'm glad I have the meds too. I really didn't want them, but I'm glad that this day is finally over. I felt horrible for breaking down to ask for them.
Old May 24, 2018   #224
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Asking for pain medicine- I don't see that as a sign of weakness, Salt.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #225
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you Nan,

There's a very long story behind why I didn't want to ask for pain medicines. Easiest put - been there, done that, and don't want to go down that road again. My doctor fully understands - he's been my doctor since 2001.

The containers, I didn't water this evening. The mix didn't feel dry or too wet, but I plan on checking on them first thing in the morning. I do not water if the sun is shining on the plants unless I have no other option which hasn't happened with the containers.

I'm going to post this part here and on the Weather thread:

The ten day forecast is for five more days with highs around 96F 35C, and then five straight days of temperatures of 100+ 38C and hotter. It is way too early for that kind of heat, and I may lose my garden to it.

Back to this thread only - I have some old bed sheets to create shade for the plants. It will not look good, but it could keep the plants alive. There is really no way to know what the weather will be like in June through September. You can't go by averages, because this year has already proven that big-time. If the summer turns out to be a record setting hot one - I may reverse my sleeping habit to sleeping in the day and awake at night.