Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2023   #46
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Only just started to look in the direction of my boxes of seed and thinking of what to grow this year and where--I try to rotate where I'm planting crops. I think tomatoes are going to go in a plot that's never had solanaceous plants in it, just corn and squash. For tomatoes I am going to try out the 3 new bicolor beefsteak F1 hybrids from Artisan Seeds. I almost never grow F1 hybrids but I'm a fan of Artisan. Repeats for me will probably include Taiga, Lucky Tiger (in spite of its tendency to split, I love this tomato!), Ananas Noir, Old Carolina (a.k.a. Nell Bryson) which was outstanding for me last season, Regina (woolly yellow tomato from Carolyn Male's collection, thanks to @FarmerShawn), and Atomic Fusion. Have to leave room for new-to-me varieties!
Please let me know how those bicolor beefsteaks do!
Old March 18, 2023   #47
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Please let me know how those bicolor beefsteaks do!

I absolutely will!
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2023   #48
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

A late addition to my growing list: Holy Myrrhbearer

https://snakeriverseeds.com/collecti...-myrrhbearer-1

Anyone familiar with these? I like heart-shaped tomatoes, so couldn't resist these (plus, the name!). I looked up the monastery but they do not seem to have seeds for direct sale.
Old April 6, 2023   #49
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

This is what I've started so far (many thanks to the generous individuals who shared seed with me):

Arbuznyi
Pertzevidnyi Zeltnyi
Gypsy
Streets of Broken Lanterns
Brandywine Cowlicks
Orange Banana
Kimberley
Lucid Gem
Tastiheart
“Parika”
Heshpole
Estler’s Mortgage Lifter
Holy Myrrhbearer
Atomic Fusion
Regina
Rebel Starfighter Prime
Midnight Sun
True Colours
Ananas noir
Bread and Salt
Barry’s Crazy Cherry
Byche Serdtse Oranzheyoye Ostroye
Bugtussle Buttermilk Wonder
Marmande Garnier Rouge
Taiga Polaris
Artisan Seeds: Bicolored beefsteak #1
Artisan Seeds: Bicolored beefsteak #2
Artisan Seeds: Bicolored beefsteak #3
Raya Rey
Karma Purple Multiflora
Carolina Dusk
Daifuku
Harvard Square
JD’s Special C-Tex
Faworyt
Gary’O Sena
Xanadu Green Goddess
Sun Gold F1

Most of these have at least one or two seedlings already popped up (now at 4 days from starting).

Plus I'm having another shot at germinating old seeds from Carolyn Male's collection (via FarmerShawn)--Trees Bottom Yellow, Delano Green Ripe, Carrie Claxon Yellow, and Spike's Belly Button. Last year I had only a couple of weak seedlings come up, and they failed to thrive, but I hadn't done anything special to them. This time I soaked them 36h in a solution of Jack's all-purpose fertilizer before planting. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by DK2021; April 6, 2023 at 09:15 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old April 7, 2023   #50
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
A late addition to my growing list: Holy Myrrhbearer

https://snakeriverseeds.com/collecti...-myrrhbearer-1

Anyone familiar with these? I like heart-shaped tomatoes, so couldn't resist these (plus, the name!). I looked up the monastery but they do not seem to have seeds for direct sale.
I love heart-shaped tomatoes too. I had only 2 Granny Heart Tomatoes Seeds to work with this year as I sold out. Those two plants are growing great. I will never let my inventory get that low again, Amen!!

Everyone have a Happy Easter, on this Good Friday Amen!!

I have learned so much from everyone over the years here as I Still Misses Dr. Carolyn.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2023   #51
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I started my first batch March 17; Sunsugar was my first up as always. * marks the first try in my garden

Under lights I have:

Sunsugar (a staple for us)
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Kosovo (a staple for us)
1884 - a repeat try from last year - the chipmunks sampled every tomato that appeared so I figured it must be tasty - they left others alone!
Rozovyi Myod
Dester
Cowboy *
Tundra *
Buffalosteak F1
Anana's Noire
Kellog's Breakfast
Howard German
Neves Azorean Red (a staple for us)
Lynnwood *

Just started yesterday:

Pomodoro Cuore Antico di Aqui Terme * seeds just arrived yesterday - VERY excited to grow this!

I also started Peppers, Jalapeno's, Pepperocini, and 3 different types of Eggplant but still having trouble with germination; think my seed may be getting a tad old.

I LOVE this time of year!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2023   #52
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm having another shot at germinating old seeds from Carolyn Male's collection (via @FarmerShawn)--Trees Bottom Yellow, Delano Green Ripe, Carrie Claxon Yellow, and Spike's Belly Button. Last year I had only a couple of weak seedlings come up, and they failed to thrive, but I hadn't done anything special to them. This time I soaked them 36h in a solution of Jack's all-purpose fertilizer before planting. Fingers crossed!
Well, I planted 25 seeds of each of these varieties and got a whole bunch of Spike's Belly Button come up in a week. Germination rate was around 60%. I don't know how old those seeds are; the others are 2010 or 2013, but given the not-too-bad germination rate of these, I'm thinking the SBB seeds might be more recent than 2013? (Although I just had another batch of 2013 seeds germinate at a similar rate.) I'm going to move the SBB seedlings to individual cells this week-end.

Nothing yet for the other three varieties, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. At least for these I think there may be other sources.
BTW, does anyone know the story behind Spike's Belly Button?
Old April 22, 2023   #53
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

* Cherokee Chocolate
* Dwarf Eagle Smiley
* Uluru Ochre
* Sweet Scarlet Dwarf

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2023   #54
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Amish Golden
Astrakhansie
Berkeley Pink T-D
Big Rainbow
Big Zac (for my daughter and her boyfriend)
Brad Atomic Grape (every year)
Bonny Best
Buzau22
Chocolate Cherry (Every year)
Clementine F1
Costoluto Fiorentino
Damsel F1
Delicious
Dwarf Johnson Cherry (every year)
Early Willamette
Early Wonder pink
Estate
Faribo Gold (every year)
Giant Belgium
Glacier
Golden Treasure
Hahn's Gelbe (hanging basket on our deck)
Heshpole
Hillbilly
Home Stoop
Ink Spot (hanging basket)
Kotlas
Kitaysyi Oksamitovy
Koroleva Rynke
Mac Pink
Marglobe
Marisol Red
Martin's Super Roma
Martino's Roma
Matina
Mingold
Minibel (pot or basket)
Nebula
Orange Russian Doukhobors (remember Zabby?)
Orange You Glad
Parika
Permoga 165
Pervaya Lyobov
Pruden's Purple
Pozhar
Pollock
Purple Zebra
Roszovyi Saraeva
San Marzano
Saraeva Gruntovyi
Saraeva Lesovyi
Saraeva Vesseni
Siberian (red)
Siletz
Speckled Roma
Starburst Nebula
Sunchocula
Sungold F1
Sungold F4 (see what is lost)
Superbec
Sweetie Cherry
Ted Globe
Ted Steak
(Ted's and a ridiculously rampant cocktail tomatoe came out of a Betters Boy and Big Boy dehybrid project, looking for Teddy Jones. I had as many as 300 tomato plants growing looking for segregates. "Teddy Globe" looks like a pink Nepal, "Teddy Steak" resembles German Pink. I gained zilch for the effort, but it kept me out of the bar.)
Totushka
Ultrabec
Usabec.
UEOO (maybe a report later)
Whippersnapper (another hanging basket sort)
Wisconsin 55

Not all will grow here. Some are asks from others...but the heirlooms will have to surrender a tomato or two to retrieve seeds.

Sent from my motorola edge (2022) using Tapatalk
Old April 23, 2023   #55
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Eyolf -- so you were able to find seed for Orange Russian Doukhobors? Any germination yet?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2023   #56
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Eyolf -- so you were able to find seed for Orange Russian Doukhobors? Any germination yet?
Yes, I did. Gary (Tormato/Mostly Mystery swap) found some in the PNW. Old seed, sickly seedlings that never did well...but a couple dozen seeds showed up in January.
Planted 3, two are potted up and growing on.

I'm over the moon!

If the snow ever melts. You're near Bemidji, I think. Did you get snow this week?
Thursday here in beautiful semi-subtropical north-central MN.

Old April 24, 2023   #57
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Snow? You betcha! Can't seem to get rid of it. Even this morning there were some anemic flakes before the sun came out.
I think we are being set up to go directly into the heat of summer with no real spring. Sort of like last year.

Glad you got the ORD seeds, will be waiting for a report on taste and earliness!

Old April 25, 2023   #58
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Snow? You betcha! Can't seem to get rid of it. Even this morning there were some anemic flakes before the sun came out.
I think we are being set up to go directly into the heat of summer with no real spring. Sort of like last year.

Glad you got the ORD seeds, will be waiting for a report on taste and earliness!
My notes from years ago suggested a similarity to Azoychka in growth habit, etc. But about 5 days earlier than Azoychka.

I like to can tomatoes and enjoy the sight of a few jars of mixed colors. Especially on gray days like my pic above.

Here's progress on the ORD:

For those that don't enjoy "chatty convo" I apologize, but we need some color.

Old April 25, 2023   #59
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful colors, indeed! A taste of summer! I think we all love pictures anytime.

Old April 25, 2023   #60
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Most of us are thrilled by summertime in a jar.

Here are the varieties I have in the ground so far with 4 rows across the garden. This totals about 95 varieties. I have 8 plants of Orange Bell peppers. They are so good I wanted plenty for the freezer. I still have about 250 tomato and pepper plants waiting in trays. I have a row of peas, a row of potatoes, a partial row of potatoes grown from seed, a row of brassicas (cabbage, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli), 2 rows of sweet corn, and a row of carrots, radishes, and turnips. I have a tray on the light stand filled with different types of squash (Red Kuri, Luffa, crookneck, straight neck, tromboncino, etc). They will be planted later this week. Okra is soaking in water to plant tomorrow. Watermelons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, and cotton will be started in trays later this week.

Pepper:Aconcagua, Alma Paprika, Big Bertha, Chinese Giant, Chocolate Bell, Cowhorn, Cubanelle, Ducky, Feher Ozon, Fooled You, Gatherers Gold, Giant Marconi, Golden Cayenne, Golden Marconi, Griller, Karma, Mulato Isleno, Orange Bell, Petri, Purple Cayenne, Purple Jalapeno, Sarah's Sweet Orange, Sarah's Sweet Red, Sarah's Sweet Yellow, Sirenevyi, Stocky Red Roaster, Stocky Yellow Roaster, Sweet Banana, Tam Jalapeno, Trinidad Perfume, Zavory

Tomatoes: 1884, Absinthe, Akers West Virginia 2, Amana Orange, Amish Paste, Ananas Noire, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Anna Russian, Aunt Ruby's German Green, BBXEPB, Berkeley Tie Dye, Bisignano #2, Black From Tula, Bloody Butcher, Box Car Willie, Brandywine, Calvin's Green, Carbon, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Purple, Costoluto Genovese, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Cuor di Bue, Gary'O Sena, German, German Johnson PL, German Johnson RL, German Red Strawberry, Giant Syrian, Glacier, Goose Creek, Grandpa Charlie, Grandpa Willie, Green Zebra, Gregori's Altai, Grubs Green, Guernsey Island Pink Blush, Halladay's Mortgage Lifter, Healani, Heatherington Pink, Hege German Pink, Heinz 1350, Hillbilly, Hog Heart, Hughs, Indian Stripe, Italian Gold, Italian Red Pear, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, J.D.'s Special PL, Jaune Flammee, Jersey Devil, KBX, Kelloggs Breakfast, Kewalo, Kimberley, King Humbert, Large Pink Bulgarian, Ponderosa, Principe Borghese, Prue, Red Orange Stuffer, Red Zebra, Stump of the World

Last edited by Fusion_power; April 25, 2023 at 10:32 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote