Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 15, 2023   #31
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Only just started to look in the direction of my boxes of seed and thinking of what to grow this year and where--I try to rotate where I'm planting crops. I think tomatoes are going to go in a plot that's never had solanaceous plants in it, just corn and squash. For tomatoes I am going to try out the 3 new bicolor beefsteak F1 hybrids from Artisan Seeds. I almost never grow F1 hybrids but I'm a fan of Artisan. Repeats for me will probably include Taiga, Lucky Tiger (in spite of its tendency to split, I love this tomato!), Ananas Noir, Old Carolina (a.k.a. Nell Bryson) which was outstanding for me last season, Regina (woolly yellow tomato from Carolyn Male's collection, thanks to @FarmerShawn), and Atomic Fusion. Have to leave room for new-to-me varieties!
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2023   #32
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The time has come when I have to start limiting the number of tomato plants (for health reasons). This year I will try to manage about 24 bushy and 64 tall plants. I assume that next year I will have to reduce the numbers even more, I hope that it will not be necessary to go below 32 indeterminate. I already have the determinate seedlings outside the window, and I will sow the indeterminate ones sometime next week. Of the varieties I will grow this year:
Early determinante:
Nizhegorodskiy Kudyablik, Severok, Vspyschka, Sophie´s Choice, Beaverlodge Slicer, Lyana, Lyana Rozovaya, Sanka, Kermerovets, Zolotse, Forest Fire, Bezrassadnyi, EM Champion, Betalux, Siletz, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Sarayev M22.
Indeterminante:
Tundra, Midnight Sun, Brad´s Black Heart, Kukla´s Portuguese Heart, Fresa, Alice, Russian Orange 117, Joe´s Pink Oxheart, Reinhard´s Chocolate Heart, Herman´s Yellow, Zamorano, Salobre, Rosao de Ayerbe, Gigante Castilla, Rosado Zapaton, Rosa Melilerd, Roteňo Andalu-cia, Gordo de Patones, Opalka, Gilbertie, Cherokee Jumbo, Mountaineer Pride, Mikado, Start F1, Bejbino F1, Mandat F1, Odat F1, Philovita F1, Aprikola F1, Green Bee F1, Datlo, Ra-mallet Pequenito Mallorquin, Ramallet Iboza Bianca, Piennolo del Vesuvio, Goldkrone, Zlata-va, Creamsicle Grape, Blumko.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2023   #33
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; February 25, 2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old February 25, 2023   #34
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír[/QUOTE]
Old February 25, 2023   #35
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The time has come when I have to start limiting the number of tomato plants (for health reasons). This year I will try to manage about 24 bushy and 64 tall plants. I assume that next year I will have to reduce the numbers even more, I hope that it will not be necessary to go below 32 indeterminate. I already have the determinate seedlings outside the window, and I will sow the indeterminate ones sometime next week. Of the varieties I will grow this year:
Early determinante:
Nizhegorodskiy Kudyablik, Severok, Vspyschka, Sophie´s Choice, Beaverlodge Slicer, Lyana, Lyana Rozovaya, Sanka, Kermerovets, Zolotse, Forest Fire, Bezrassadnyi, EM Champion, Betalux, Siletz, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Sarayev M22.
Indeterminante:
Tundra, Midnight Sun, Brad´s Black Heart, Kukla´s Portuguese Heart, Fresa, Alice, Russian Orange 117, Joe´s Pink Oxheart, Reinhard´s Chocolate Heart, Herman´s Yellow, Zamorano, Salobre, Rosao de Ayerbe, Gigante Castilla, Rosado Zapaton, Rosa Melilerd, Roteňo Andalu-cia, Gordo de Patones, Opalka, Gilbertie, Cherokee Jumbo, Mountaineer Pride, Mikado, Start F1, Bejbino F1, Mandat F1, Odat F1, Philovita F1, Aprikola F1, Green Bee F1, Datlo, Ra-mallet Pequenito Mallorquin, Ramallet Iboza Bianca, Piennolo del Vesuvio, Goldkrone, Zlata-va, Creamsicle Grape, Blumko.
Vladimír
An interesting list, with many that are unfamiliar to me. Are any of them new to you this year? I always enjoy seeing your photos of your seedlings in their windowsill home. Good luck with your season!
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2023   #36
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Early determinante:
Indeterminante:
Vladimír

Many of these are unfamiliar to me. I believe the "Ramallet" tomatoes are Spanish long-keeping or storage types? Can anyone comment on their texture/flavour after storage? I imagine they are thick-skinned, maybe better for cooking than fresh eating?
Old February 25, 2023   #37
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaClay View Post
An interesting list, with many that are unfamiliar to me. Are any of them new to you this year? I always enjoy seeing your photos of your seedlings in their windowsill home. Good luck with your season!
Of the indeterminates, only two Czech varieties, Blumko and Aprikola F1, are new to me. Of the determinants, all the Russian ones I got from Andrey.
Vladimír
Old February 25, 2023   #38
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Many of these are unfamiliar to me. I believe the "Ramallet" tomatoes are Spanish long-keeping or storage types? Can anyone comment on their texture/flavour after storage? I imagine they are thick-skinned, maybe better for cooking than fresh eating?
Growing Ramallet varieties (originating from Mallorca) for long-term storage is not easy. It is necessary to grow them with minimal watering and on soils with a high potassium content. High humidity can also be a problem. It doesn't work out for me in the same way as with Pienollo del Vesuvio.
Vladimír
Old March 1, 2023   #39
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I love seeing your lists. Have a great growing season!
Heide
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2023   #40
WoodSprite
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a lot this year. I love comparing varieties of the same crop so I'm growing some old favorites and some new varieties to compare them. And I'm growing some new-to-me crops.

Garlic - German White Sitffneck, Siberian, Chesnok Red, Georgian Crystal, Music.

Onion (Bulbing) - Ailsa Cragi Exhibition.

Onion (Bunching) - Heshiko.

Pea (Shell) - First 13, Lincoln and maybe Patio Pride and Petite Pois Procoville.

Pea (Snap) - Cascadia, Sugar Snap, Super Sugar Snap, Spring Blush.

Fava Bean - Broad Windsor.

Kale - Black Magic, Judy's Kale and maybe Lacinato, Siberian, White Russian (my favorite so far).

Bok Choy - April White, Heat Winner, Hotau Improved F1, Jade Star, Sanfu.

Fennel - Florence.

Mitsuba (Japenese Parsley).

Spinach - Gigante d' Inverno (my favorite so far), Gangbusters, Summer Perfection.

Lettuce - Little Gem, Dragoon, Newham, Jericho, Tennis Ball, Tom Thumb, Red Butter Romaine, Parris Island.

Carrots - Aranka F1, Autumn King, Coral, Oxheart, Yaya F1 (my favorite so far).

Peppers (Sweet & Frying types) - Little Bells, Earlired, Jupiter, Red Wonder, Frank's, Nick's Thin Skin, Carmen F1, Corno Di Toro, Tangerine Dream F1?, Italian Sweet Frying, Early Perfect Italian, Holy Italian Red, Stocky Red Roaster.

Tomato (Slicers - mostly"black") - D.B. Cooper, Daniel Burson, Paul Robeson, Margaret Curtain, Boronia, Tasmanian Chocolate, Goose Creek Black (though I suspect this is actually something else), Goose Creek, Brad's Black Heart, "Bob's" (which is 22 year old seed that a friend grew for 40+ years saving his own seeds. I hope I can get at least one to germinate this year.).

Tomato (Paste) - blue Beech, Rocky, Cow's Tit, Santa Maria, Shannon's, seeds that I harvested last year that appeared to be from my Opalka plant but the tomato was huge, very sweet and didn't look like the other fruits on the plant.

Eggplant - Antigua, Listada De Gandia, Rosa Bianca, Aswad, Kamo, Shiromaru.

Parsley - Triple Curled, Krausa.

Basil - Basilico Finissimo Verde a Palla, Dwarf Greek, Piccolino, Blue Spice, Italian Genovese, Italian Pesto, Lemon, Mrs. Burns' Lemon.

Cilantro - Large Leaf, unknown variety that I harvested from purchased plant.

Other Herbs - Chervil 'Brussels Winter', Lovage, Marjoram, Sage 'Broad Leaved,' Summer Savory 'Compact,' Dill (unknown variety).

Bean (Pole) - blue Coco, Blue Purple Pod, Lazy Wife, Super Marconi, Uncle Steve's Italian.

Bean (Bush) - Provider, Strike, Wyatt.

Radish - White Icicle (Grown as a companion plant to deter squash bugs.)

Cucumber - Lemon, Morden Early, National Pickling, Wisconsin SMR 58.

Zucchini - Black Beauty, Cocozelle, Long White Of Palermo.

Cutting Celery - Chinese Pink, Kintsai Dark Green.

Molokhai (Egyptian Spinach).

Flowers to draw beneficial insects: Alyssum 'Carpet of Snow,' Nasturtium 'Alaska Mix,' Tagetes lucida, Tagetes tenuifolia 'Lemon Gem' and about 36 other species to add to the flowers that are already planted.

Last edited by WoodSprite; March 9, 2023 at 05:49 PM. Reason: To try to fix the odd spacing from the first time.
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2023   #41
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

Last year I joined Tormato's MMMM swap and sent about 25 packs. I got about 40 in return. I tried about a dozen last year, probably will try another dozen this year, and some next year.

A couple will return; they are very good. A couple I didn't bother to increase seed for. And a couple on the list were already known and rejected in the past.

But in 2021 a handful of multiplier onions sent up flower stalks. Knowing onions cross easily, I allowed a few other sorts to bloom to attempt to get new and different kinds.

I planted about 100 seeds, which resulted in about 70 little onions. Some were uninteresting, but I managed to get about 30 multi-centered onions in a half-dozen different shades, including nice pink ones and a few deep copper-colored ones. There were some so pale they were almost white, too.
The remainder of the seeds were stored in the freezer, and are coming up now.

I'm excited because multiplier/potato onions seem to be dissappearing from the marketplace.

Sent from my motorola edge using Tapatalk
Old March 12, 2023   #42
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

I like doing comparisons by growing multiple varieties of something. A couple of years ago I did seven types of pole bean, and I have to recommend Trionfo Violetto for its earliness and productivity. Of the 7 varieties which I direct-sowed on the same day, Trionfo Violetto was the first to germinate, and was well on its way up the trellis by the time the last beans popped out of the ground. It produced heavily all the way to frost, and the beans were excellent quality. I got my seed from Fruition Seeds.
The other bean I really liked was Crochet de Savoie (from Secret Seed Cartel). This was my last to germinate, last to flower, last to set pods--but once it started, there was no stopping it. The remains of a hurricane partially collapsed my trellis, so harvesting became a bit of a challenge late in the season, but this was possibly the most productive of the 7 varieties. It's a delicious bean.
Old March 12, 2023   #43
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just tomatoes and peppers,

1884, Absinthe, Aker's West Virginia, Amana Orange, Amish Paste, Ananas Noire, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Anna Russian, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Aunt Ruby's German Green, BBXEPB, Bear Creek, Berkeley Tie Dye, Bisignano #2, Black Cherry, Black From Tula, Black Krim, Bloody Butcher, Blueberry Sugar, Blush, Boronia, Box Car Willie, Brandywine, Red, Brandywine, Sudduth, Calvins Green, Camp Joy, Captain Lucky, Carbon, Cherokee Chocolate, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Jumbo, Cherokee Purple, Costoluto Genovese, Coyote, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Cuarentina, Cuor di Bue, Cuostralee, Daniels, Dester, Dot's Delight, Dr. Carolyn, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Dr. Wyche, Druzba, Earl of Edgecombe, Earl's Faux, Estlers Mortgage Lifter, Fernleaf, Fruity, Galina's, Gary'O Sena, German, German Johnson Potato Leaf, German Johnson Regular Leaf, German Red Strawberry, Giant Belgium, Giant Syrian, Glacier, Goose Creek, Grandpa Charlie, Grandpa Willie, Green Dr's Frosted, Green Giant, Green Zebra, Gregori's Altai, Grubs Green, Guernsey Island Pink Blush, Halladay's Mortgage Lifter, Healani, Heatherington Pink, Hege German Pink, Heidi, Heinz 1350, Hibor, Hillbilly, Hog Heart, Hughs, Indian Stripe, Indigo Cherry Drops, Indigo Rose, Italian Gold, Italian Red Pear, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, J.D.'s Special PL, Jasper F1, Jaune Flammee, Jersey Devil, Jubilee, Katinka Cherry, Kellogg's Breakfast Potato Leaf, Kellogg's Breakfast Regular Leaf, Kewalo, Kimberley, King Humbert, Kosovo, La Roma, Large Pink Bulgarian, Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, Little Lucky, Liz Birt, Lorelei Cherry, Lucky Cross, Lynnwood, Maglia Rosa, Maidens Gold, Mano, Marianna's Peace, Marmande VF, Martino's Roma, Mexico Midget, Millionaire, Missouri Pink Love Apple, Mortgage Lifter RC, Mortgage Lifter Red, Mountaineer Pride, Moutaineer Delite, Muleteam, Nebraska Wedding, Nepal, Neves Azorean Red, New Big Dwarf, Old Brooks, Olena Ukrainian, Omars Lebanese, Omars PL, Opalka, Orange Minsk, Orange Oxheart, Orange Russian 117, Paul Robeson, Peacevine, Perth Pride, Picardy, Piennolo, Pink Ping Pong, Pink Ponderosa, Polish C, Polish Linguisa, Ponderosa, Principe Borghese, Prudens Purple, Prue, Red Orange Stuffer, Red Zebra, Reisetomate, Riesentraube, Rose de Berne, Russian 117, Russian Red Dwarf, San Marzano, Shackelford Giant Pink, Silvery Fir Tree, Sioux, Soldacki, Sparks Yellow, Sprite, Strawberry Margarita, Stump of the World, Stupice, Sunrise Bumblebee, Super Sioux, Surprise, Sutton, Swamp Sweet Pink, Sweet Baby Girl, Tasmanian Yellow, Tastiheart, Thompson Seedless Green Grape, Tidwell German, Traveler 76, Tropic, Wes, West Virginia 63, Wisconsin 55, Yellow Brandywine Plat, Yellow Pear, Yellow Submarine, Yoder's German Yellow, Zeiglers Fleisch

Pep 7 Pot Douglah,Aconcagua,Alma Paprika,Amnesia,Anaheim,Ancho Gigantea,Apocalypse Chocolate,Bhut Jolokia,Big Bertha,Black Habanero,Black Pearl,Bolivian Rainbow,Carolina Reaper,Chinese 5 Color,Chinese Giant,Chocolate Bell,Chocolate Bhutlah,Cowhorn,Craigs Purple Hot,Cubanelle,Death Spiral,Dougs,Dragons Breath,Ducky,Fatali,Feher Ozon,Fooled You,Gatherers Gold,Giant Marconi,Giant Red Habanero,Golden Cayenne,Golden Marconi,Griller,Italian Frying,Jamaican Chocolate,Jolene,Karma,Mulato Isleno,Numex Big Jim,Orange Bell,Pepperoncini,Petri,Poblano,Purple Cayenne,Purple Jalapeno,Red Savina,Relleno,Sarah's Sweet,Sarah's Sweet Orange,Sarah's Sweet Red,Sarah's sweet yellow,Sirenevyi,Stocky Gold Roaster,Stocky Red Roaster,Stocky Yellow Roaster,Sweet Banana,Sweet Rainbow,Tam Jalapeno,Thai Dragon,Thor's Peach,Tobago Seasoning,Trinidad Perfume,Trinidad Sc Moruga,Umorok Chocolate,Umorok Red,Zavory

I have a large garden planned with Beans, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Brussels Sprouts, onions, Turnips, carrots, radishes, peas, cowpeas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, okra, peanuts, and a lot more.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2023   #44
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

A round speckled roman from saved seeds.
Normally a plum type tomato.
Some unknown wispy foliage tomato that was mixed in with a tray of store bought mortgage lifter plants.
The plant croaked before getting very large but I was able to salvage seeds from a green tomato that finally turned pink indoors.
Probably a pink russian type of some sort.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2023   #45
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Just tomatoes and peppers,

1884, Absinthe, Aker's West Virginia, Amana Orange, Amish Paste, Ananas Noire, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Anna Russian, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Aunt Ruby's German Green, BBXEPB, Bear Creek, Berkeley Tie Dye, Bisignano #2, Black Cherry, Black From Tula, Black Krim, Bloody Butcher, Blueberry Sugar, Blush, Boronia, Box Car Willie, Brandywine, Red, Brandywine, Sudduth, Calvins Green, Camp Joy, Captain Lucky, Carbon, Cherokee Chocolate, Cherokee Green, Cherokee Jumbo, Cherokee Purple, Costoluto Genovese, Coyote, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Cuarentina, Cuor di Bue, Cuostralee, Daniels, Dester, Dot's Delight, Dr. Carolyn, Dr. Carolyn Pink, Dr. Wyche, Druzba, Earl of Edgecombe, Earl's Faux, Estlers Mortgage Lifter, Fernleaf, Fruity, Galina's, Gary'O Sena, German, German Johnson Potato Leaf, German Johnson Regular Leaf, German Red Strawberry, Giant Belgium, Giant Syrian, Glacier, Goose Creek, Grandpa Charlie, Grandpa Willie, Green Dr's Frosted, Green Giant, Green Zebra, Gregori's Altai, Grubs Green, Guernsey Island Pink Blush, Halladay's Mortgage Lifter, Healani, Heatherington Pink, Hege German Pink, Heidi, Heinz 1350, Hibor, Hillbilly, Hog Heart, Hughs, Indian Stripe, Indigo Cherry Drops, Indigo Rose, Italian Gold, Italian Red Pear, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, J.D.'s Special PL, Jasper F1, Jaune Flammee, Jersey Devil, Jubilee, Katinka Cherry, Kellogg's Breakfast Potato Leaf, Kellogg's Breakfast Regular Leaf, Kewalo, Kimberley, King Humbert, Kosovo, La Roma, Large Pink Bulgarian, Lillian's Yellow Heirloom, Little Lucky, Liz Birt, Lorelei Cherry, Lucky Cross, Lynnwood, Maglia Rosa, Maidens Gold, Mano, Marianna's Peace, Marmande VF, Martino's Roma, Mexico Midget, Millionaire, Missouri Pink Love Apple, Mortgage Lifter RC, Mortgage Lifter Red, Mountaineer Pride, Moutaineer Delite, Muleteam, Nebraska Wedding, Nepal, Neves Azorean Red, New Big Dwarf, Old Brooks, Olena Ukrainian, Omars Lebanese, Omars PL, Opalka, Orange Minsk, Orange Oxheart, Orange Russian 117, Paul Robeson, Peacevine, Perth Pride, Picardy, Piennolo, Pink Ping Pong, Pink Ponderosa, Polish C, Polish Linguisa, Ponderosa, Principe Borghese, Prudens Purple, Prue, Red Orange Stuffer, Red Zebra, Reisetomate, Riesentraube, Rose de Berne, Russian 117, Russian Red Dwarf, San Marzano, Shackelford Giant Pink, Silvery Fir Tree, Sioux, Soldacki, Sparks Yellow, Sprite, Strawberry Margarita, Stump of the World, Stupice, Sunrise Bumblebee, Super Sioux, Surprise, Sutton, Swamp Sweet Pink, Sweet Baby Girl, Tasmanian Yellow, Tastiheart, Thompson Seedless Green Grape, Tidwell German, Traveler 76, Tropic, Wes, West Virginia 63, Wisconsin 55, Yellow Brandywine Plat, Yellow Pear, Yellow Submarine, Yoder's German Yellow, Zeiglers Fleisch

Pep 7 Pot Douglah,Aconcagua,Alma Paprika,Amnesia,Anaheim,Ancho Gigantea,Apocalypse Chocolate,Bhut Jolokia,Big Bertha,Black Habanero,Black Pearl,Bolivian Rainbow,Carolina Reaper,Chinese 5 Color,Chinese Giant,Chocolate Bell,Chocolate Bhutlah,Cowhorn,Craigs Purple Hot,Cubanelle,Death Spiral,Dougs,Dragons Breath,Ducky,Fatali,Feher Ozon,Fooled You,Gatherers Gold,Giant Marconi,Giant Red Habanero,Golden Cayenne,Golden Marconi,Griller,Italian Frying,Jamaican Chocolate,Jolene,Karma,Mulato Isleno,Numex Big Jim,Orange Bell,Pepperoncini,Petri,Poblano,Purple Cayenne,Purple Jalapeno,Red Savina,Relleno,Sarah's Sweet,Sarah's Sweet Orange,Sarah's Sweet Red,Sarah's sweet yellow,Sirenevyi,Stocky Gold Roaster,Stocky Red Roaster,Stocky Yellow Roaster,Sweet Banana,Sweet Rainbow,Tam Jalapeno,Thai Dragon,Thor's Peach,Tobago Seasoning,Trinidad Perfume,Trinidad Sc Moruga,Umorok Chocolate,Umorok Red,Zavory

I have a large garden planned with Beans, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Brussels Sprouts, onions, Turnips, carrots, radishes, peas, cowpeas, lima beans, sweet potatoes, okra, peanuts, and a lot more.
I can't imagine taking care of all those tomato & pepper plants !!!

Dan