Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2012   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Polar series, Gem, Beauty,Baby,Star

I have had this set of seeds for a while and not grown them. The descriptions are very similar, is there anyone out there who has grown all four or does anyone have any more detailed info in them,. I have read the net and various sites

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Jeannine. I usually grow at least 1 Polar Baby each year. It's quite a small tomato, and quite a small plant, and it's wildly productive for me (in container, outdoors). I've grown Polar Beauty, which as I recall was a larger plant and larger fruit, but I didn't care for it. Sadly, I don't remember why I didn't like it ... I don't know if it was the taste or performance. Not much help I'm afraid!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2012   #3
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, Does Polar Baby taste good, or just that awful phrase, "Good for an early tomato?" Talk about gosh darnoodleying with faint praise! I run from anything with that description. My first Oregon Spring's were such spitters, and I thought they'd improve way more than they did.
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #4
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Sherry, Does Polar Baby taste good, or just that awful phrase, "Good for an early tomato?" Talk about gosh darnoodleying with faint praise! I run from anything with that description. My first Oregon Spring's were such spitters, and I thought they'd improve way more than they did.
j
I'm not actually sure I could even say that they are "good for an early tomato," however, they are "dependable" and not too bad on a salad! One of the few tomatoes I can count on here to produce fruit outdoors every year.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If I was still growing early varieties every year, which I'm not, I'd still choose Moravsky Div for a better than early darn good tasting variety as compared with other earlies I've grown through the years.
Old February 20, 2012   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I know that phrase too.

Thanks for the help, I can't make up my mind wether or not to grow all 4 or just give them up along with the others I am letting go soon...it is that all important word "space"

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote