Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 18, 2014   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Onions in garden

I just got through setting out between 80 and 100 onion seedlings into the garden today. They are all Bermudas which are the only onion I have found that grows good here and also is a decent keeper. Vidalia types do great here but they don't keep well at all. I love good red onions but after trying about a half dozen different ones with little or no luck I have just decided to stick with the Bermudas from now on.

I start my seed in DE in a medium size flower pot in October. Once they come up I try to give them a little mild fertilizer every week or so until they get larger and then I give them a full strength dose once they get 8 to 10 inches tall. With over a 100 plants growing in the single pot you have to keep them watered and fertilized well in order to get decent sized seedlings to set out. Around two weeks before I am going to set them out I clip the tops back so they are between 4 and 5 inches tall then fertilize them well. I let the DE dry out pretty good the last few days so they will separate easily. The shorter clipped plants are much easier to handle when setting them out and much easier to set in an upright position. As I am planting them I drag a bag of pine bark fines behind me and mulch them well as soon as I get them planted. I then water them well and give them a dose of Miracle Grow or some other liquid fertilizer within a few days of planting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2014   #2
yopper
Tomatovillian™

24 below zero last night & 20 inches of snow on the garden .... onion plants still in texas!!! YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2014   #3
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this info, Bill! I'm trying onions from seed for the first time this year, and plan to use DE because it worked so well on the tomatoes last year. It looks like you start your onions about 3 months prior to plant-out? If so, I should probably get mine going soon. Do you think a 3" deep tray will work for them? Or do the roots need more depth than that? Any other helpful hints?

Oh, and while I'm at it, a huge THANKS for all the info you've posted on bleach spray for tomatoes. It's become my go-to for clearing up gray mold and septoria...works like a charm!
Old January 22, 2014   #4
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I'm impressed by all the care you give to your onion seedlings, I wonder if you have ever tried buying very small bulbs and bury them in line in your garden. You can find different varieties -white, red, purple. They will start growing as soon as the temperature is warm enough and they will require only some weeding. Good luck !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longlake View Post
Thanks for posting this info, Bill! I'm trying onions from seed for the first time this year, and plan to use DE because it worked so well on the tomatoes last year. It looks like you start your onions about 3 months prior to plant-out? If so, I should probably get mine going soon. Do you think a 3" deep tray will work for them? Or do the roots need more depth than that? Any other helpful hints?

Oh, and while I'm at it, a huge THANKS for all the info you've posted on bleach spray for tomatoes. It's become my go-to for clearing up gray mold and septoria...works like a charm!

It usually takes them about 3 months to be ready. You need to put them in a much deeper container or the roots will be too bound up. I usually use a 8 inch deep or larger pot. I put something in the bottom so the DE will not slip out of the drain hole and then fill it up and thoroughly soak the DE before seeding and then cover with a thin layer of DE and wet that. The biggest problem with the deeper pot comes when you try to bottom water. It can take a long time so once the onion seedlings are well established I carefully water from the top.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #6
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It usually takes them about 3 months to be ready. You need to put them in a much deeper container or the roots will be too bound up. I usually use a 8 inch deep or larger pot. I put something in the bottom so the DE will not slip out of the drain hole and then fill it up and thoroughly soak the DE before seeding and then cover with a thin layer of DE and wet that. The biggest problem with the deeper pot comes when you try to bottom water. It can take a long time so once the onion seedlings are well established I carefully water from the top.

Bill
Thanks for the additional info...I'll grab some of my deeper pots and put landscape fabric in the bottom so the DE doesn't just fall through.
Old January 10, 2015   #7
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a Bermuda onion this year, Crystal Wax. I care more about sweet flavor that storage ability.
Old April 20, 2015   #8
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Hey guys! My question piggy backs on this onion post so I thought I would ask vs starting a new thread... How do you know when the onions are ready to harvest? I have about 40 red and 40 yellow onions, that I started from transplant in early Feb. Some of the stalks are big and perkier then others so its hard to tell if those are ready and maybe the others aren't? Or just pick one and see? 3 mos from Feb 15th ish would put me in mid May. Thanks in advance!
Old April 20, 2015   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Typically with onions you want to wait until the tops flop over and dry up if you want to store them for any length of time.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #10
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Interesting... With our heat I suppose they will be ready by June?? Its in the 90's here already... Gah!
Old April 20, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Interesting... With our heat I suppose they will be ready by June?? Its in the 90's here already... Gah!
Keep them moist, they are probably starting to bulb now? Don't drop the ball here in the last inning.

I read somewhere that the perfect sweet onion will have 13 leaves by the time its ready for harvest.

Edit: here is where I read about 13 leaves:
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/T...id=o9DKJ2s5Ioo

Last edited by Stvrob; April 21, 2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: add a link
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2015   #12
troad
Tomatovillian™

The tops of the onions will start to fall over as they near the end of growing.
If the perkier onions have a solid talk in the center of the bulb they are probably trying to go to seed.
If you can keep them well watered and as little stressed as possible as they are bulbing you will get fewer plants growing seed stalks and more storage bulbs.
Old April 21, 2015   #13
beeman
Tomatovillian™

For all the DE users around. Can I suggest you have a look at the video towards the bottom of this page for an automatic watering idea?
I am in the process of using it and it's working well.
http://www.bigelowbrook.com/Products...p/Default.aspx
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #14
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Well I only have 2-3 leaves, still. This is 2 months after planting. So apparently I'm not watering enough? I will give them some fish emulsion today, as its supposed to rain tonight. Hopefully.
Old April 25, 2015   #15
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Well I only have 2-3 leaves, still. This is 2 months after planting. So apparently I'm not watering enough? I will give them some fish emulsion today, as its supposed to rain tonight. Hopefully.
Mine usually have 2 to 3 leaves when I transplant them. Are they short day onions? What variety are they?

Last edited by Stvrob; April 25, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote