Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 31, 2011   #136
tedln

I grew Mr. Snow, Emerald Giant, and Beryl Beauty this year from the project as well as New Big Dwarf. All four grew with enthusiasm until they were about 36" tall with blooms. Then the heat of late May, early June arrived along with some septoria. The Septoria caused the lower leaves to drop. The heat (105 degrees today, 107 forecast for tomorrow) has attempted to kill all four dwarf plants. While the main stems and branches have succumbed, they have also produced new growth from the root balls or low on the old main stems. The new growth is producing blooms, but I think it is a wasted effort until the weather cools a little. If the new growth can survive until cooler weather, I expect to again have healthy plants blooming and producing fruit.

I didn't get too sample any tomatoes from the spring plantings, but hope for better from the fall crop.

Ted
Old July 31, 2011   #137
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Thanks for the info on Rosella Purple (and others) folks. Rosella Purple is one of the more compact children of the Sleepy family, and maybe a determinate? Not sure, maybe semi-determinate... but the Sneezies by comparison get rather tall yet are still of the dwarf-type with thick stems and rugose foliage. My daughter's Snowy F2 plant was so heavy it bent the stake, a thick recycled plastic stake that can't break. That plant needed a cage!

Ted, sorry to hear of your troubles there in TX! In your climate you might need to do fall planting like Michael, who grows for the project each year during the Southern Hemisphere growing season. He's on the SH team in fact

Maybe you could try rooting some cuttings from your plants and planting them in a month's time? Anyhow I hope you get an opportunity to sample some tomatoes after all the hard work!

Good luck!
Patrina
Old July 31, 2011   #138
tedln

Patrina,

Thank you, but I don't consider my experiences a problem; only a learning opportunity. I received my commercial seed to late too really expect productive plants within the growing window between last frost and early heat. I am growing some plants as cuttings for fall plantings, but not the dwarfs. My interest this year is to see how well they grow and produce from secondary growth. My hope is the fully developed root balls will result in larger, healthier fall plants. If it doesn't work, I will grow the dwarf plants earlier next year and possibly grow from cuttings in the fall. This has been an unusual year. We typically have some hot weather, but the extreme heat and duration of the heat is unprecedented. Hopefully next year will be more normal.

I love the dwarfs!

Ted
Old August 5, 2011   #139
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

This should put a smile on Patrina's face. I picked my very large Rosella Purple tomato yesterday (nearly ready but picked to ensure it's continued safety) and it weighed in at over 1 1/2 pounds. Right there in between 1 1/2 lbs and 2 lbs, so 27-28 ounces, that sort of range.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #140
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
This should put a smile on Patrina's face. I picked my very large Rosella Purple tomato yesterday (nearly ready but picked to ensure it's continued safety) and it weighed in at over 1 1/2 pounds. Right there in between 1 1/2 lbs and 2 lbs, so 27-28 ounces, that sort of range.
How tall is the Rosella Purple plant and how many fruit are on it?

Thanks

Ted
Old August 5, 2011   #141
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Oh, and photos too. We must have photos!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011   #142
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
How tall is the Rosella Purple plant and how many fruit are on it?
The plant is 35 inches tall, about 28" wide. It has five other fruits on it and a bunch of tiny just starting to form tomatoes and is still blooming. One of the fruits is almost ready to pick and is probably in the 8 ounce range. One still green is in the 12 ounce range. Two are small, maybe still growing and developing.

We've been having that ridiculous hot, humid weather that has impeded fruit set, but that gap in fruit production may have allowed that early produced tomato to get so big.

There's no special feeding or secret methodology. It did it all on it's own.
Old August 5, 2011   #143
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Oh, and photos too. We must have photos!

Lee
I took some pictures of the fruit with my old-fashioned 35mm camera (film, remember film?) and when I finish the roll and get it developed I'll post a picture or two.
Old August 6, 2011   #144
Patrina_Pepperina

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
Oh my giddy aunt..... (do you have that expression?) Truly MINDblowing!!! I really can't imagine it, but would LOVE to see a pic when you get that film developed. This is the 2nd time in just a few hours that I've come across someone who uses film - the other person uses a box brownie camera!

Patrina
Old August 6, 2011   #145
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE= This is the 2nd time in just a few hours that I've come across someone who uses film - the other person uses a box brownie camera![/QUOTE]

I would use a brownie if the film weren't so hard to get and I could find a place that I trusted to develop something exotic.
Old August 8, 2011   #146
Patrina_Pepperina

She told me that she just uses regular film and that the reason she collects box brownies is because the lens is so good in them!
Old August 9, 2011   #147
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

It's the size of film and the spools that are hard to come by. The brownie used 620 film, I think. It isn't available anymore, as far as I know. You can use 120 film, but you usually have to respool it onto old 620 spools to fit the camera. At least here in the States that's the situation.
Old August 11, 2011   #148
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

These are my impressions and tasting scores for the first 7 Dwarfs. I leave a little room at the high end of the scoring scale for tomatoes I haven't tasted yet. For reference, the best tomato I've ever tasted would score 8.5 on my scoring scale, the best tasting tomato in my garden this year (JD's Special C-Tex) would score an 8.0.

My scores:

Dwarf Beryl Beauty - Delicious, not quite as sweet as Green Giant but more balanced flavor. Scored this at 8.0, 7.5, and 7.5. Great producer.

Dwarf Emerald Giant - Very good, not quite as much flavor as Dwarf Beryl Beauty. Three scores of 7.0, 7.5, and 6.5

Dwarf Jade Beauty - This one needs to be ripe. When slightly green it was tart and I only scored it 6.0. When fully (over?) ripe I scored it 7.0. Heavy producer.

Dwarf Mr. Snow - Wonderful flavors, almost as sweet as Summertime Gold but more complex. Also, about 2 weeks earlier than Summertime Gold and more productive. Scored 7.5, 7.5, and 7.5

Rosella Purple - Very good flavor. Scored this 7.5, 7.0, 7.5

Summertime Gold - Nice sweet flavor. Scored 7.0, 7.5, 7.0

Tasmanian Chocolate - Again, needs to be very ripe for best flavor. Probably a notch below my best tasting black tomato this year(JD's Special C-Tex). Scored 6.5, 7.0, 7.0. Very heavy producer.

Plant height at time of first ripe fruit:

Rosella Purple - 3'
Tasmanian Chocolate - 3'6"
Dwarf Jade Beauty - 3'9"
Dwarf Mr. Snow - 4'
Summertime Gold - 4'
Dwarf Emerald Giant - 4'3"
Dwarf Beryl Beauty - 4'9"

Production by Weight:

- Tied for heaviest yield were: Dwarf Jade Beauty, Dwarf Beryl Beauty and Tasmanian Chocolate.
- Rosella Purple and Dwarf Mr Snow were the average for this group.
- Summertime Gold and Emerald Giant were the least productive, about half that of the top 3 producers (by weight).

Overall, these new dwarfs are an outstanding offering by the project group - congratulations to all involved. I'm looking forward to trying out future releases.

Here are photos of Dwarf Mr. Snow at our trial garden in Sacramento, CA. My sister did a great job with her growouts and the first picking from this "Dwarf" yielded 3 lb. 14 oz. worth of tomatoes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dwarf_mr_snow_plant.jpg (298.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg dwarf_mr_snow_1.jpg (294.8 KB, 104 views)
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #149
Patrina_Pepperina

Thanks so much for the feedback Steve! It's fantastic to know that we've already achieved these sorts of results in the project, and truly satisfying to know that there is a whole LOT more to come. Next season I hope you will trial some other new ones

Patrina
Old August 11, 2011   #150
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Fantastic Report.....and just the type of feedback we need and are looking for. When considering we are comparing these short growing plants with some of the long time standard setting indeterminates (flavor wise), I have to say I am very pleased indeed!

And as Patrina says, we are just getting started!