Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2019   #16
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

pretty much organic here.

chicken coop clean out that goes into the garden in the fall and gets tilled in.
fish emulsion, and kelp. couple neighbors with horses get their pile reduced once in awhile by me. a guy in town has three miniature sheep. he wants to move his manure pile, so it may come here provided i get to use some in my garden. not sure how serious
he is about moving it though.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #17
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I don’ always do things the same, but this year in my regular containers I have been putting bonemeal, chicken poop, lime. Later When they get bigger I will add Gardentone.
I do don’t normally use liquid fertilizer’s out of laziness.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Usually it's Tomato Tone in the planting hole. This year I'll be using chicken poop manure aged for a year .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019   #19
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

Throw in some new multipurpose every year and mix in with old.

Use liquid tomorite style feed in the past but this year threw in a load of dry chicken manure pellets that say 6x strength on the bag.

Will see what happens, I don't want to use too many chemicals year after year or I feel there will be a build up of something bad in the ground ( salts or whatever it is )

If I get good results with chicken manure I may only use tomorite on rare occasions.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I plant in raised beds. At the beginning of the season I work in cottonseed meal, any compost I have ready, alfalfa pellets, some chicken manure if I can find any, and a small amount of chemical fertilizer high in trace elements. Once the tomatoes start blooming I try to feed them every 7 to 10 days with Texas Tomato Food.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #21
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Plant tone good for later not now, needs a little time to do it's thing under the soil.
MG so so but not the best.
By far ((my)) best results have been 13-13-13 or something like it in containers or in ground.

I took Worth's advice last year, along with his comment that it takes a lot of nitrogen to burn up plants. I fertilized all containers with 10-10-10 bought on clearance sale at Walmart the year before. I added a good bit of 10-10-10 along with calcium nitrate to the pots about 7-12 days before I set plants in them. I had zero blossom end rot problems with the San Marzanos and Romas last year. And yields from everything were superb. My Brandywine Reds looked like Jack's beanstalk and the Brandywines were plentiful and *huge.* Everything grown in containers, and everything grew far better than when I used organic stuff and Osmocote and Alaska fish and all the other find products that people swear by. Just cheap 10-10-10 and some calcium nitrate worked for me. :-)
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #22
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
I took Worth's advice last year, along with his comment that it takes a lot of nitrogen to burn up plants. I fertilized all containers with 10-10-10 bought on clearance sale at Walmart the year before. I added a good bit of 10-10-10 along with calcium nitrate to the pots about 7-12 days before I set plants in them. I had zero blossom end rot problems with the San Marzanos and Romas last year. And yields from everything were superb. My Brandywine Reds looked like Jack's beanstalk and the Brandywines were plentiful and *huge.* Everything grown in containers, and everything grew far better than when I used organic stuff and Osmocote and Alaska fish and all the other find products that people swear by. Just cheap 10-10-10 and some calcium nitrate worked for me. :-)
The waiting period must be key. Did the containers and media get rained on during that time?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2019   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It scares the living daylights out of me when people do what I do.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I use MG while still seedlings or in small pot.
Once planted out i use granulars like 10 10 10 and some high K granular.
Talking about organic , i use horse poo. That is just as soil conditioner and amender, way before planting.
You want quick action from granular ?
Soak some in a bucket, keep stirring, for couplje of days. Then take some and add to watering can and water/fertilize your tomatoes with.
Sure you can top dress and scratch the soil a bit. It will act slowly.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019   #25
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I use MG to water my seedlings in when I plant them. I've always thought it gives them a very light nitrogen boost and a mineral boost at plant out.. If some plants don't have the dark green color I like to see as the plants grow, I give the weaker plants another MG boost. It works for me. I sometimes add a scoop of Epsom salt to the MG in my watering can for really anemic looking plants.

Last edited by DonDuck; April 27, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019   #26
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I used to use a little MG during the growing season and had good results. Then 3 years ago I quit using MG and only used organic TT, fish emulsion and rabbit manure and honestly my tomatoes didn't do nearly as well. I am sure there are many factors that have effected these results. This year I decided to go back to what seemed to work the best, only growing proven hybrids (Celebrity, Big Beef and Golden Girl) and not trying to go only organic. I loved the flavor of Heirlooms, but their production numbers and susceptibility to disease lead to disappointment. Fingers crossed!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019   #27
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

We use MG on the tomatoes (blue version) for planting out and also throughout the growing season and they've done really well.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #28
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I used to use a little MG during the growing season and had good results. Then 3 years ago I quit using MG and only used organic TT, fish emulsion and rabbit manure and honestly my tomatoes didn't do nearly as well. I am sure there are many factors that have effected these results. This year I decided to go back to what seemed to work the best, only growing proven hybrids (Celebrity, Big Beef and Golden Girl) and not trying to go only organic. I loved the flavor of Heirlooms, but their production numbers and susceptibility to disease lead to disappointment. Fingers crossed!

Steve, that is almost the duplicate of my experience over the years.
Old May 1, 2019   #29
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Steve, that is almost the duplicate of my experience over the years.
Don, we got hammered by pounding rain (6.5 inches) last night and while my raised garden drained well, my plants leaves were covered with dirt from splash back. I didn't know what to do other than turn on the hose and rinse them off. More thunderstorms forecast the next 3 days. Only thing I know for sure is I won't have to water for a while.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #30
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

We must be in a drought, we only got four and one half inches the last two nights. My raised beds are covered in mulch, so I didn't get any splash up. Yours should be okay if you hose them down a little. I'm beginning to worry a little about root rot on some of my veggies due to all the water. I lost some pepper plants last year due to excessive water. They are forecasting rain for next week similar to this week. My wife and I throw a party when the sun comes out for a couple of hours.