Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 4 Days Ago   #8611
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not one to waste much,when I drained the juice from the kidney beans garbanzo beans, canned wax beans, green beans and reserved it.
This from the four bean salad for tomorrow.
Then I cooked some shell pasta in it with the cut off ends of the peppers I used in the four bean salad.
Added was a pinch of my homemade red sauerkraut and some caraway seeds.
Topped with Parmesan cheese.
Made a nice soup.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8612
PlainJane
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not one to waste much,when I drained the juice from the kidney beans garbanzo beans, canned wax beans, green beans and reserved it.
This from the four bean salad for tomorrow.
Then I cooked some shell pasta in it with the cut off ends of the peppers I used in the four bean salad.
Added was a pinch of my homemade red sauerkraut and some caraway seeds.
Topped with Parmesan cheese.
Made a nice soup.
Sounds pretty good.
PlainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8613
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I've always had cheap, quick; and easy meals when I was fishing a river, riding my ATV in the mountains or just camping out. I would usually choose three out of the following items as a meal, small can of pork and beans (cold), small can of Vienna sausage's, chunk of hard cheese, saltine crackers, candy bar for quick energy if needed, fresh or dried fruit and nuts, smoked or dried meat like tasso or jerky, I usually had at least one campfire meal of either a traditional breakfast with coffee or a dinner of beef stew or potato soup. My lunch meal usually only required a can opener and a spoon to eat. Few utensils to wash and carry. Fry pan to wash with breakfast or stew pot to wash in the evening. I've always tried to use the kiss (keep it simple stupid) philosophy on meal prep.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #8614
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My hours are going to be long I have no idea how I am going to have time to feed myself.
Probably just going to have to go into survival mode and eat more canned stuff at home too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #8615
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

On days when I had absolutely no time for dinner, I'd have what I called "fake supper" -a Snickers bar.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #8616
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

home canned baked beans, home canned green beans and porkchops pan fried from the meat on sale at the grocery store today.
Old 1 Day Ago   #8617
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Grilled a burger on the Weber yesterday for lunch. 1/2# fresh ground local farm raised meat. I mixed in a chopped roasted Hatch chili and a couple of slices of diced red onion and 3 tabs of cold butter. Mixed it all up and made sure the butter was inside the meat and grilled. Topped it with a slice of. Oars Head BluMar cheese, homemade whole seed mustard and butter lettuce. Loved it.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Hours Ago   #8618
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
On days when I had absolutely no time for dinner, I'd have what I called "fake supper" -a Snickers bar.

I eat at least one of those "fake" meals each day. I don't eat candy bars so it will usually be some peanut butter or a hunk of hard cheese.

The Army had a rule requiring all the troops to eat at least one meal per week of C rations. For efficiencies sake and to follow the rule at the same time, all the meat and vegetables were dumped into giant pot's, mixed, heated; and served. I was always surprised they didn't toss the cigarette packages and the instant coffee packets, and the canned deserts into the pots. I always thought it would have tasted better if they had tossed everything into the pots.
Old 11 Hours Ago   #8619
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I cooked some hamburgers on the grill on Easter Sunday. The hamburger was 85% Angus beef. I don't like the 90% ground beef for burgers. It cooks too dry for me. Someone told me to start laying an ice cube on each pattie after the first flip and it will keep the meat moist. I haven't tried it, but I will someday.

I also cooked some venison ground meat patties and venison breakfast sausage patties. I expected them to be dry, but they were actually more moist than the beef patties.

My wife has a little hand press to make beef patties with ground beef. She can press the meat into patties as thick or thin as you want. I like it because the patties hold together well on the grill and they cook evenly and they are large enough to fit properly on a large bun.

Last edited by DonDuck; 11 Hours Ago at 09:04 PM.
Old 6 Hours Ago   #8620
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to quit cooking. I've been giving the warnings. It's past time.