Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 19, 2019   #1
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Default Pink Ping Pong Potato Leaf

My Pink Ping Pong seeds didn't germinate this year, so I was pleased to find seedlings of Pink Ping Pong at the local nursery. I inspected the whole flat of seedlings looking for the healthiest plant. I noticed one plant in the flat that was potato leaf. I thought that it couldn't possibly be Pink Ping Pong. It must be a mistake.

I bought a regular leaf Pink Ping Pong and also the potato leaf marked Pink Ping Pong. The first flower truss on the potato leaf plant had only two blossoms. I thought it must actually be a large fruit variety. However, the newer flower trusses on the potato leaf have multiple flowers and look just like the flower trusses on the regular leaf. The two little tomatoes on the first flower truss have grown to the size of a Pink Ping Pong and seem to be getting ready to blush.

Unfortunately, both plants have suffered from over-spray of Roundup (or some other weed killer) applied by a city maintenance crew on a slope below my property. Good job spraying Roundup on a windy day. The new growth is all stunted and gnarled.

Has anyone come across a PL version of Pink Ping Pong?
If I can get fruit to ripen, is there a chance to save seeds and segregate for PL in F-2. Might I be able to develop a stable version of PL Pink Ping Pong?
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #2
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

I've come across RL and PL mutants every now and then. On the other hand, I've also come across stray seed, so you'll never really know till it the fruit fully ripens.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote