Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2019   #196
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Potato

Starting the clean up of the garden and transition to winter vegetables. Lifted the white skin, purple flesh sweet potato to fond not a lot under them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3098_resized.JPG (128.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3099_resized.JPG (100.2 KB, 132 views)
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2019   #197
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Potato

I also had a scratch around one corner of the compost bin taken over by sweet potato and did not take long to find one and I stopped there. My boot is 12 inches long, this one weighed 610 grams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3101_resized.JPG (84.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3102_resized.JPG (113.1 KB, 130 views)
Old April 28, 2019   #198
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic

Garlic planting is pretty much up to date know, with just the one Artichoke left to plant, a couple of Creoles the Standard Purple Stripes and a Silverskin or two to go.

Final list will look like this

Porcelain Group
Music

Creole Group
Ali de Pays du Gers
Mariposa de la Tierra
Spanish Tierno
Spanish Rojo
Rojo de Castro

Turban Group
Wilde Pearl
Wilde Ruby (actually Ruby Ann renamed by seller)
Master Jack
Iris
Italian White
Monaro Purple
Italian Stripe
TWT a white skinned turban that I am not sure of the true varietial name

Artichoke Group
French Messidrome
Kisswani
Bulgaria 49
Late Italian
Dolovsky
Bulgaria AGIA 52
Germidour
Yabroudi
Italian Late, don't know if the Italian Late / Late Italian are the same clone or different. They are from different growers.

Silverskin Group
Lokalen

Standard Purple Stripe
Dunganski
Marbled Blush
180-4, an as yet un-named variety from TGG received during our visit.

Russian/Elephant garlic

Plus another un-named variety that I uncovered while preparing ground.

A number of the Turbans are already up. By rights I should have planted the Turbans before our Tasmania trip, but I ran out of time. Two missed Monaro Purple cloves from last season are about 8 inches high already

Last edited by Whwoz; April 28, 2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old April 28, 2019   #199
PlainJane

Wow! Garlic heaven!
Old April 28, 2019   #200
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Yes, not high numbers of any one variety, I think max 24 down to about 8 as a low, but with that many varieties, and I may sneak in a few more yet, one does not need big numbers to have heaps. No I just need to set up a good curing area, a small fan might come in useful me thinks.....
Old April 30, 2019   #201
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Garlic starting to come up, Italian White mulched with sugar cane, planted Monaro Purple still to be mulched and missed Monaro Purple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0005_resized.JPG (138.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006_resized.JPG (150.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007_resized.JPG (145.8 KB, 107 views)
Old May 2, 2019   #202
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Mud Wasps

We have a range of native wasps here that go under a variety of groupings. Most are solitary and peaceful unless overly annoyed. This one is a mud wasp, which made its nest one the side of the house several years ago, found these while checking the Tassie photos. The female builds multiple chambers, stuffs each one with a paralysed grub, lays an egg on it and seals up the chamber. For size reference, the blocks are 190 mm high. Unfortunately I did not have the camera in hand whenever she returned with a grub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.jpg (235.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0510.jpg (139.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0530.jpg (119.5 KB, 86 views)
Old May 23, 2019   #203
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Butternut Pumpkins

We grew Waltham Cross butternut this year, producing 48 off 15 plants plus 5 round fruit from one plant. Thought that I had a seed mix up at one stage, but not the case, mum and dad, who saved the seed from a commercial fruit also had a couple of round fruit, albeit different to what I grew. Cut the first one tonight, probably the smallest at 1.88 kg, 4 lb 3. Knife blade is 7 cm long. Seed looks to be good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0061_resized.JPG (71.4 KB, 74 views)
Old May 23, 2019   #204
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Pretty squash! Planting out that seed should be interesting. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. Did your parents say anything about that?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019   #205
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

My parents squash, from what I recall, are different to mine, larger and greener when immature, have not seen them since they picked them. The cut one above is one that I grew and cooked as part of a curry for work lunches, so have not eaten it straight yet. I will be saving seed and are looking forward to seeing what comes out of the grow out.

Photo of immature fruit in post 194

Last edited by Whwoz; May 23, 2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added photo reference
Old May 23, 2019   #206
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
We have a range of native wasps here that go under a variety of groupings. Most are solitary and peaceful unless overly annoyed. This one is a mud wasp, which made its nest one the side of the house several years ago, found these while checking the Tassie photos. The female builds multiple chambers, stuffs each one with a paralysed grub, lays an egg on it and seals up the chamber. For size reference, the blocks are 190 mm high. Unfortunately I did not have the camera in hand whenever she returned with a grub.
She looks like she could be quick on the draw if annoyed.
Old May 24, 2019   #207
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
She looks like she could be quick on the draw if annoyed.
Yes, agree with you, just timed our moves around hers. She buzzed us a couple times if we were to close to the nest when she was there, just backed off and she was happy.
Old May 24, 2019   #208
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a gorgeous wasp, Whwoz, and a beautiful nest. We have some spectacular parasitoids even here in the north. The fancy back end is generally an ovipositor not a stinger, and they are not a bit aggressive as the predatory wasps tend to be. Very welcome in my garden, and lots of different species mostly nameless.
Wonderful diversity of garlic you're growing! I am trying out some of the French softnecks here as well, thanks to Svalli who generously shared the bulbils they produced. Germidour from last year is one of the first rounds to come up outdoors after a pretty challenging winter. And I have Thermidrome and Messidor from bulbils in the greenhouse - the Messidor are really large plants, I have high hopes for them. Softnecks don't do as well this far north, but these may beat the odds. Always nice to have something to braid.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2019   #209
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Potato

harvested the Sweet Potatoes a week or so back, for all the tops that were there, not much was under them apart from one good nest, if that's what you call them of seven or eight around the 2 lb mark, a few scattered roots of usable size and some small roots about half an inch thick that I will throw into a pot kept under cover to see if they shoot for next season. The purple skin, white fleshed variety they was mixed in was a dead loss. Can see I will have to find some other varieties or hope I can get seed from somewhere....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0064_resized.JPG (161.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0066_resized.JPG (137.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0069_resized.JPG (137.8 KB, 30 views)
Old June 18, 2019   #210
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Long White Cucumbers

We grew two varieties of cucumbers this season, spacemaster, which was a waste of time and Long White, aka Redlands long white which did exceptionally well in the heat, especially considering that they only received a bucket of water every other night during the worst of the heat, with 4 plants producing over 120 fruit. Looking at them made me recall that the variety Large White Russian, which can grow to 4 lb, is actually a storage cucumber and will hold for months in usable condition, so I decided to put 5 long whites in the shed on the 15/2/19 to see how they would go. About the start of June I noticed that one had a spot of rot starting on it and cut another one today (18/6/19). It was starting to go a bit soft, but otherwise was as good as they day it was put in the shed 4 months ago! They are about 8 inches long for size reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0085_resized.JPG (44.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0086_resized.JPG (61.2 KB, 30 views)