Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 11, 2011   #31
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Matt's Wild Cherry takes over your bed because the blueberry-sized fruit tend to split open and drop seeds which readily re-sow themselves. Too small, in my opinion, to really enjoy them much, and too easy to end up with hundreds of seedlings.

Jaune Flamme is apricot-sized. I like them quite a lot. They have different degrees of ripeness so try them at different states until they are of the right taste and texture.

As for pink/red cherries, I too have looked far and wide for a decent-tasting one. I had given up until I grew Sweet Quartz F1. The flavor totally blew me away. I will never be without it in a garden.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I'm anxious to try Matts Wild Cherry which is sometimes called Mexican. I understand it will take over a bed it grows so fast and large. I guess I will wait till next year.

I don't know if it is considered a cherry, but I am growing Jaune Flamme this year. If it is as small as I think it is, it should be a cherry.

I'm also growing Black Cherry, Sungold, and Juliet. Juliet is a hybrid that I have grown for many years. It is always the most productive plant in my garden. Unfortunately it is almost tasteless for me, but my daughter loves it. She says it is sweet. For me, if I can't get an acid bite in the taste, it is tasteless.

Ted
Ted, I've never heard of Matt's being called just Mexican for there are many small fruited ones from Mexico just named Mexican.

If you go to Johnny's seed site you can read why it's called Matt's Wild Cherry, they introduced it, and I wouldn't consider it a cherry. As they note, it's a cerasiforme which means it's half way between a currant type and a cherry, b'c while being in the regular tomato genus/species it doesn't have exherted stigmas as do many of the currant types which are a different species.

I wouldn't say Jaune Flammee is a cherry. It's a variety I got from a Frenchman in a trade back in 1992. Fruits are usually in the 2-3 oz range , about 6 to the truss, and IMO larger than a cherry.

But I do love Jaune Flammee and it has a deep vibrant orange color that's just a bit lighter than that of Earl of Edgecombe, which is similar and which I also love.
Old May 11, 2011   #33
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I wouldn't say Jaune Flammee is a cherry. It's a variety I got from a Frenchman in a trade back in 1992.
I would hope it was not the Frenchman who made the unfortunate misspelling.

Jaune Flamme is French for Yellow Flame.

Jaune Flammee isn't a French word for anything.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #34
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Two more great cherries are Haley's purple comet and Evan's purple pear from Wild Boar farms. The flavor is excellent. I would not go without them in my garden.
Old May 11, 2011   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I would hope it was not the Frenchman who made the unfortunate misspelling.

Jaune Flamme is French for Yellow Flame.

Jaune Flammee isn't a French word for anything.
Actually is was Norbert the Frenchman who spelled it that way. The seeds were sent on math square paper with the seeds taped to the paper with scotch tape and the names carefully spelled below the seeds.

So maybe he should have put one less e there, but I speak little French and can read, with some difficulty, only scientific articles in French so I wouldn't have recognized that two e's was wrong/

I've also taken some hits on the spelling for Cuostralee for those who insist that there's no "uo" in the French language, but some have come up with some French ou words. And yes, Cuostralee was the spelling that Norbert used.

I plead not guilty by reason of semi-ignorance and just copying down what Norbert wrote all those years ago. Several of us were in on that same trade and I tried to reach him with a few questions for several years but with no luck at all.
Old May 11, 2011   #36
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Jaune Flammee is an excellent small tomato. It's a bit bigger than a cherry. It has been early in my garden...usually the first to ripen and very tasty for me. Good choice.
Old May 11, 2011   #37
tedln

Carolyn,

Someone recently posted his admiration for the fruit and growth habit of the "Mexican" tomato. Not being familiar with the variety, I asked him about it. His reply stated the Mexican cherry tomato is sometimes called Matts Wild Cherry. I researched Matts Wild Cherry and it does have the growth habit he was attributing to the Mexican tomato. I really have no idea what it is, but thought it might be interesting to grow a plant that seems to grow with wild abandon.

Ted
Old May 11, 2011   #38
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Nothing grows with more "wild abandon" than Yellow Pear. It grows "wild" and after you taste it you will "abandon" it!!!!!!

MikeInCypress
Old May 11, 2011   #39
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7932-ma...ld-cherry.aspx

AS I said above Johnny's introduced this variety and when you read the above blurb you'll see why it should be called Matt's Wild Cherry and not just Mexican.

And note the cerasiforme notation next to the name of the variety.

In the SSE YEarbook and elsewhere there are lots of varieties named Mexican or Mexico but they aren't all the same and don't all have specific origins.

So, Matt's Wild Cherry is, trust me, the only proper name for this variety.
Old May 11, 2011   #40
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Nothing grows with more "wild abandon" than Yellow Pear. It grows "wild" and after you taste it you will "abandon" it!!!!!!

MikeInCypress
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #41
tedln

Mike,

When I was a kid, the yellow pear tomato was literally a "wild" tomato and it did grow with abandon. In almost any field of weeds, you could find yellow pear plants mixed in with the weeds. I thought the tomatoes on the wild plants tasted great. I've never grown it as a cultivated variety, but I do wonder if the cultivated plants produce fruit as tart and tasty as the wild tomatoes I used to eat.

Ted
Old May 11, 2011   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Mike,

When I was a kid, the yellow pear tomato was literally a "wild" tomato and it did grow with abandon. In almost any field of weeds, you could find yellow pear plants mixed in with the weeds. I thought the tomatoes on the wild plants tasted great. I've never grown it as a cultivated variety, but I do wonder if the cultivated plants produce fruit as tart and tasty as the wild tomatoes I used to eat.

Ted
Anyone want a truly rampant variety, much more than even Yellow Pear although Red Pear isn't so bad, then get thee the variety Pasture.

This was one that was bred by Joe Bratka's father along with Box Car Willie, Mule Team, Great Divide and Red Barn.

Pasture can be used to cover outhouses, cover fences, whatever, and is know to compete well with kudzo vine in the south. Well, I did make up that last one but not that far from the possible truth.