Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 2, 2011   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

There's a elderly gentelman just a mile or so to the south of me that I met in the local Flea Market last Saturday. He has raised a very diversified home garden that has fed him and his family (extended family, too) for the past 65 years. He does not plan to slow down anytime soon.

Now, that's my idea of a "Master Gardener".

Book learning only gives a foundation. Experience is where it's at. However, experience and "on-the-job" training needs some book learning to steepen the learning curve.

I had two buddies back in my military days and I think it shows the point I'm trying to make. Charlie was a scholarly type and Larry was all hands on. Charlie could design you a custom power supply and quote parts prices. Larry couldn't pass a written test. Charlie would stand in front of a B-52 and scratch his head and really didn't know what kind of tool to use to change an electronic box. Larry would just go and fix the thing.

In the end, I put Larry and Charlie together as a team. Larry started passing tests and Charlie knew which tools to use.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011   #17
Tomaddict
Tomatovillian™

"Only y'all flatlanders think about the direction the rows run. We plant so that tall stuff don't shade the short stuff too much." - ContainerTed

There's a elderly gentelman just a mile or so to the south of me that I met in the local Flea Market last Saturday. He has raised a very diversified home garden that has fed him and his family (extended family, too) for the past 65 years. He does not plan to slow down anytime soon.

Now, that's my idea of a "Master Gardener". - Container Ted

Ted, you've nailed these so perfectly! Thank you!!

As for heirlooms vs hybrids, most of the heirlooms we grow outperform the hybrids, every year. While there are some specific exceptions, usually the "Superiority of hybrids" is mostly a marketing-driven myth. Don't fall for it!
Old May 2, 2011   #18
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, here in the hills of Appalachia, we pay attention to the slope of the hillside. Rows run across the hill so as to keep erosion down (ain't nothing like planting a tomato on the side of the hill and then watching it slide down into the creek).
I thought they said "crick" down South...?

Quote:
. We plant so that tall stuff don't shade the short stuff too much.

Ted
Good point.
Old May 2, 2011   #19
Toemader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
There are many many reasons why I have no interest in Master Gardener programs.
Yikes, then I will assume it's caveat emptor.
Toemader is offline   Reply With Quote