Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 12, 2011   #1
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default Repotted to 4 inch pots

Hi All, I started everything from seed this year and am afraid I might have been a little too rough when replanting. I tried the thumb method of pushing the sprout into the grow mix with my thumb. With the first tray it was definetly a learning experience and the second tray I did better I think. I am going to try and add pictures. I am just wondering if with the first tray did I do unfixable damage? Or should I just be patient and see how if they pull out of it. I love these smiles by the way. The first three pics are the struggling flat. Almost all of the first leaves are drying up. The true leaves on most look ok so far. In the "good" flat, all the leaves still look good. Hopefully you can see what I am talking about. Thanks for any advice you can share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg The bad flat.jpeg (77.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg Tomatoes with issues.jpeg (70.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpeg Close up of tomatoes with issues.jpeg (61.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpeg Good Flat.jpeg (74.4 KB, 106 views)
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #2
bullish
Tomatovillian™

They look ok to me! Goodluck!
Old April 18, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

As long as the stem doesn't snap in half you can pretty much man handle seedlings and they will be fine. They may look sickly for a few days until they recover from transplanting and start sending out new roots. Just make sure they don't dry out and once they recover in a few days you will notice them starting to take off more and more every day. I don't know if anyone else does this but once they recover I will cut off the seed leaves and any lower leaves or leaf tips that hit the dirt when they are watered so no part of the plant ends up lying in or touching damp dirt.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2011   #4
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the responses

They are picking up now. Also, I think it was the wind as opposed to my manhandling. I put them out for a while to get some sun and forgot they were there and the wind picked up. The very next weekend I did the same dang thing with the "good" flat and the first leaves started the wilty thing. I don't think it was the sun as it wasn't overly warm. So I now have lights set up in the house and I rotate them in the house until the winds stop their dang blowing. They are all looking good again and hopefully the lights will stop their leggyness. Thanks for your responses. I appreciate the encouragement!!
Old May 7, 2011   #5
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Is it possible that the damage to your seedlings came from sun rather than wind? If they have been raised under lights or in a window where the sunlight comes through glass, you have to introduce them to unfiltered sunlight gradually, aka the process of "hardening off".
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2011   #6
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
Is it possible that the damage to your seedlings came from sun rather than wind? If they have been raised under lights or in a window where the sunlight comes through glass, you have to introduce them to unfiltered sunlight gradually, aka the process of "hardening off".
Thanks for the reply Cleo88. I'm not really sure. We haven't really had any strong sun yet but the wind was really blowing so I think it could have been a combination. I still have some leaves that show signs of damage but mostly everything is picking up. Luckily I had the foresight to plant lots of extras so I think I will end up with way more than I need.
Old May 9, 2011   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ah, good to see people using the "tough love" approach! Tomatoes, peppers and eggplant seedlings are incredibly resilient to the transplanting step. The impact of weather afterwards is a bit tougher on them, esp until they adjust a bit - I now use a 2-3 day resting period in my garage for the flats after transplanting, then ensure they are well watered once they go out.
Old May 9, 2011   #8
whistler
Tomatovillian™

nctomatoman:

What temp water is preferable for potting up? Room temp? Warm?

I know that hot water is bad, given that the seedlings on which I used hot water wilted and died... Oops. Hot must only be for wetting the mix when starting the seeds. Oh well.

Thanks for your help.
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote