Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 13, 2011   #1
Gumbysqueak
Tomatovillian™

Default Cat poop

We built a raised vegetable bed a few months ago and have an indoor/outdoor cat. We planted last weekend and found he had been pooping in it. We removed the feces and planted some peppers, chives, carrots and arugula. They all seem ok right now. What effect will cat poo and possibly pee on my garden? Is there a way to keep him out?
Gumbysqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #2
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

You should research Toxoplasmosis and decide for yourself whether you want to eat root crops from any soil that has come in contact with cat feces. Also, consider wearing gloves anytime you work in the soil with your hands.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

if the cat did it a few times you might be ok otherwise i'd be concerned. pregnant women especially are at risk. dog and cat feces contain worms and parasites you don't want around food. carnivore manures are not ok to use.
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I have a small wood frame covered with hardware cloth that I lift on and off my root crops and greens. It not only keeps out my 5 cats, but also keeps out other small varmits.
Old May 14, 2011   #5
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

in Greece they put little sticks upright in beds & flower pots to dissuade the cats. think pungi sticks
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #6
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I think people get carried away reading about things and create nonexistent problems through too much info. We have always had cats, anywhere from 1 to 7 at a time. I have never come across cat poop buried in my garden although I am sure it has been at times. Use common sense. Don't stick your dirty hands in your mouth, wash your hands when you are done gardening, wash your vegies before you cook or eat them, etc. Do you think the farmers who grow your store bought vegies don't have any animals roaming their fields? I think people need to worry more about what's in store produce than what you grow in your garden even if a cat happens to be roaming there. Just look at the e-coli scares that always seem to show up every year in store bought produce.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011   #7
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

100% concur cloz. Interestingly, most toxoplasmosis in Americans comes from eating contaminated meats. Almost 1/3 of us in the US have antibodies demonstrating previous exposure. Female immigrants to the US who are naive to exposure (& do not carry antibodies) & get exposed during pregnancy have the highest risk of complications to them & their offspring.

Almost seems another case in point arguing for eating that dirt while one is young & healthy.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/parasi...demiology.html
(gotta love Dr. Petri's name FTR - destiny?)

and the classic tome (for those who enjoy classic Old School "Medical Detectives"-style parasitology) -
www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/6/4/305.pdf

Last edited by stormymater; May 14, 2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: one for for the LOLs
Old May 14, 2011   #8
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

back with the meat again already -
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol9no11/03-0098.htm
Old May 15, 2011   #9
platys
Tomatovillian™

Gumbysqueak and I grew up with cats, and have had various numbers all our adult lives. Growing up, we had indoor/outdoor cats. So, it's hard to imagine we haven't caught the toxo. I'd be more worried about my nephew, who is just 2.
platys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011   #10
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I didn't mean to send Gumbysqueaks's thread off into a parasite thread, but I think it is something to be aware of, and didn't know if GS was (aware of it) or not. I'm sure there are thousands of two year olds who have played "Lincoln Logs" in the family litter box and have never been affected. Personally, I eat radishes without washing them and I made a steady diet of dirt when i was a child. (albeit, clean dirt.)

To answer GS's original question:
I don't think the amount of urine or feces involved would affect the plants adversely.

Thanks, Stormy, for the links, it is an interesting condition.

Steve
Old May 17, 2011   #11
Gumbysqueak
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the good advice. Since we planted and removed the poo our cat has not been back (I check everyday). I am not pregnant and like my sister said it is highly unlikely I have not been infected with toxo and unfortunately babygumbysqueak was found with cat poo in his mouth when he was one (send me to mommy jail). So he might have exposure as well. The spikes seem like a great idea as well as fully washing any veggies. Our arugula just started to sprout yesterday!
Gumbysqueak is offline   Reply With Quote