Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 13, 2010   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default Good Looking Plant

My prettiest plant.

It is Remy Rouge. Not only is it nice and bushy, the foliage is in scale with the plant size. The tomatoes will be small red cherries.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2010   #2
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Very nice Remy. Do you do anything special to keep the foliage so green?
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010   #3
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Great picture.......What kind of plant is this?
Old July 14, 2010   #4
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

very very nice. that looks like a happy plant
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If it's named Remy Rouge I think we have to ask Remy how she developed it and the whole story, not just a teaser.

Or perhaps it was bred by someone else and named for Remy.

So what's the story here Remy?
Old July 14, 2010   #6
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
If it's named Remy Rouge I think we have to ask Remy how she developed it and the whole story, not just a teaser.

Or perhaps it was bred by someone else and named for Remy.

So what's the story here Remy?
Carolyn,
It is called Remy Rouge. I didn't develop it. If I developed a tomato, I think I would name it for someone else not me. It would be much to strange to do that. Terry(Tomatoaddict) got seeds from France a couple years ago and sent them to me. Remy is a very popular name in France. I've seen it on a French site. I guess there is also a Remy Jaune. I'm assuming that it is the same tomato but yellow

KYGreg,
I've done nothing except add organic fertilizer to the potting mix when I planted it, no spraying of any kind.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old July 14, 2010   #7
tomatoaddict

There is a Remy Jaune... I had seed but I just looked and it is gone. I thought I sent it to you??? Not sure.
Old July 14, 2010   #8
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoaddict View Post
There is a Remy Jaune... I had seed but I just looked and it is gone. I thought I sent it to you??? Not sure.
Hi Terry,
No, you didn't send them my way. That's ok. If I decide I need it, I know you got connections with the French peeps as you say.
Remy

Old July 14, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Carolyn,
It is called Remy Rouge. I didn't develop it. If I developed a tomato, I think I would name it for someone else not me. It would be much to strange to do that. Terry(Tomatoaddict) got seeds from France a couple years ago and sent them to me. Remy is a very popular name in France. I've seen it on a French site. I guess there is also a Remy Jaune. I'm assuming that it is the same tomato but yellow

KYGreg,
I've done nothing except add organic fertilizer to the potting mix when I planted it, no spraying of any kind.
Remy
Remy, I didn't think you'd name a variety after yourself but I know quite a few who think that I najmed the variety Dr. Carolyn, which of course I did not.

I didn't know there was a variety called Remy Rouge.

i have in my faves links to many sites in France and elsewhere in Europe but I usually don't go there unless I'm trying to do research on something and Google doesn't pick it up.

So Terry, my last name Male, is supposed to be associated with my ancestors coming from France to England and suffering from mal d" merr in the crossing, ahem, at least that's the story I was told.

So if you see any varieties assoiated with sea sickness you know how to contact me.
Old July 14, 2010   #10
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Like the leaf shape
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2010   #11
remy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Remy, I didn't think you'd name a variety after yourself but I know quite a few who think that I najmed the variety Dr. Carolyn, which of course I did not.

I didn't know there was a variety called Remy Rouge.

i have in my faves links to many sites in France and elsewhere in Europe but I usually don't go there unless I'm trying to do research on something and Google doesn't pick it up.

So Terry, my last name Male, is supposed to be associated with my ancestors coming from France to England and suffering from mal d" merr in the crossing, ahem, at least that's the story I was told.

So if you see any varieties assoiated with sea sickness you know how to contact me.
Carolyn,
I reread my post, and I think I might have sounded snippy in my post and that's not how I meant it! It just would be odd to have a tomato named after me. I suppose you may have felt that way about Dr. Carolyn. Though I have no problem lying to small children and telling them that the Remy the Rat from Ratatouille is named after me.
That's an interesting family name history.

Paul,
They are quite nice, almost potato leaf.
Remy

Old November 4, 2010   #12
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Having just received Remy Rouge seeds as the bonus pack in a Sample Seeds order, I am tickled to find this thread about the history of how this tomato found it's way to Buffalo from France via a vacationing Ohioan. Thanks Girls.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2010   #13
Bama mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelacedredhead View Post
Having just received Remy Rouge seeds as the bonus pack in a Sample Seeds order, I am tickled to find this thread about the history of how this tomato found it's way to Buffalo from France via a vacationing Ohioan. Thanks Girls.
Where did you order from to get a bonus pack of these?

Does the Peace bridge cross into Sarnia or is it on the Buffalo side?
I know I've crossed it several times years ago taking my son to play in the silverstick, acouple years in Sarnia and a couple years in Pelham.
Bama mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2010   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama mater View Post
Where did you order from to get a bonus pack of these?

Does the Peace bridge cross into Sarnia or is it on the Buffalo side?
I know I've crossed it several times years ago taking my son to play in the silverstick, acouple years in Sarnia and a couple years in Pelham.
Bama, Remy is on the NY side near Buffalo.

Here's her website:

http://sampleseeds.com/

There's also a thread about the Sample Seed Shop in the plant and seed resource Forum and since I've know Remy for many years, she even sent me some old time candy from a famous place near Buffalo, LOL, I wrote many positive things about her and not b/c of the candy.

She's the Produce Manager at a local Wegman's which was rated tops by Consumer Magazine, but only here in the East and not even as far East in NYS as me, drats, and when she isn't there she grows prize roses, see some of them at her website, and spends a lot of time with her tomato growouts and the flowers that she also sells off her website.

All small packs for everything for a very reasonable cost, cheap, some would say, and a huge listing of tomatoes.
Old November 4, 2010   #15
remy

Thanks Carolyn!
Parkside candy was the chocolate place. I haven't been there in awhile now that my grandmother is in the nursing home. It has great sponge candy. The original location, which is still open, was featured in the movie 'The Natural'. It is really cool looking. http://www.agilitynut.com/10/10/parkside3.jpg
Remy