Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2012   #16
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

You may also like Eva Purple Ball.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #17
materlvr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I will always remember the story a lady told on a different forum about Druzba. She said she could always smell the Druzba plant when she went to the garden and she loved it. It seemed to have a much stronger tomato plant odor than other varieties. Her young son once commented how good her hands smelled when she went into the house after picking Druzba. She also commented on how the Druzba plant was so huge. Mine have only been medium sized plants surrounded by huge plants of other varieties.

My Druzba produced beautiful, almost blemish free; fruit with a great taste this year. I am surprised that someone is harvesting Stupice and Druzba at the same time. My Druzbas were mid to late season producers. It was one of the varieties I had almost given up on when it suddenly started setting fruit.

Ted
Ted, Druzba was my first (and only) tomato besides Stupice I've harvested. I have a Kelloggs Breakfast I'll harvest next week but the other plants won't be ready for a few weeks yet. Druzba is almost always the first to ripen, at least for me. Thank goodness, a taste of what's ahead~
materlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2012   #18
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by materlvr View Post
Ted, Druzba was my first (and only) tomato besides Stupice I've harvested. I have a Kelloggs Breakfast I'll harvest next week but the other plants won't be ready for a few weeks yet. Druzba is almost always the first to ripen, at least for me. Thank goodness, a taste of what's ahead~
I kept checking my Druzba plants after most others were producing ripe tomatoes. It seemed to take forever to set fruit. When it did set fruit, it went crazy producing beautiful tomatoes. I started trimming my plants way back yesterday, but I am leaving the Druzba alone because it still has a lot of tomatoes in various stages of ripening. Many of my other varieties still have some ripe tomatoes on them, but to be honest; we are suffering from tomato fatigue. We have some contractor employees working on our house and I have been encouraging them to load up with tomatoes and peppers every day for their wives, girlfriends, neighbors; and anyone else they know who may want some tomatoes. One of the Latino guys saw me whacking plants down this morning with beautiful ripe tomatoes on them. He asked why I was throwing beautiful tomatoes away. I told him to take all he wants because I can't use any more.

I guess this has been a good tomato year every where. In Walmart this morning, they had their regular tomato displays with each tomato looking perfect in it's display, but they also had tomatoes literally piled up on tables with very low prices on them.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 6, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old July 7, 2012   #19
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
I guess this has been a good tomato year every where.
Ted
I wish.

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote