Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2012   #46
Mandy97
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday! Thank you for all of the help you give everyone!
Mandy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #47
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday!
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #48
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday Carolyn

Here's to many more tomato growing days.
Old June 26, 2012   #49
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Happy birthday! I hope you spent the day doing whatever gives you joy!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #50
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

happy birthday carolyn our queen of tv i hope you enjoyed your specil day and also you didnt have as much wind as we did in central ny so yor plants would be happier
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #51
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Well look at lucky you. All of these people wishing you cheer on this special day. You are very special to more people than you have ever realized. We are all very lucky indeed to have come across your path in the big old tomato patch. You teach us all well my dear lady. We are grateful!

Happy Birthday Carolyn

Patti
Old June 26, 2012   #52
Gussie
Tomatovillian™

Hope you are having the happiest of birthdays. Thank you (I think!) for turning me in to a tomato nut by writing a book that still fascinates me every time I open it. And here you are live and in person on Tomatoville. Still have to pinch myself each time I see a post from you, a true tomato hero. Here's wishing you a wonderful year ahead!
Gussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #53
GreenGardener
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday Carolyn! Wishing you many more happy and healthier years!
GreenGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #54
NorthTom
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday Carolyn!

9 of the 12 varieties I am growing this year were introduced/distributed by Carolyn, so thank you for the flavors I will be enjoying! My garden would certainly not be the same without you.
NorthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #55
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

A happy birthday wish for you. Thanks for being who you are.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #56
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Happy Birthday Carolyn. You've been such a tremendous influence, help, and inspiration to the tomato community by sharing your knowledge and seeds. Enjoy Wimbledon. You planned it so that your birthday would be during Wimbledon right?

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #57
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much for the Birthday wishes from all of you.

And I'll be back later this AM, perhaps this afternoon, to share with you what yesterday was like, and even more so the day before that, on Monday.

But rest assured, there is Wimbledon , chocolate, and nuts as those who know me well spoke to. I am what I am.
Old June 27, 2012   #58
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Hippo birdie two ewe's!!!!!

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #59
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for the Birthday wishes from all of you.

And I'll be back later this AM, perhaps this afternoon, to share with you what yesterday was like, and even more so the day before that, on Monday.

But rest assured, there is Wimbledon , chocolate, and nuts as those who know me well spoke to. I am what I am.
I was in a hurry b'c I expected Freda to be here this AM but she just called and can't make it and I don't know when she will be able to get up here. No, she's OK, but a relative is not.

Yesterday was a quiet day, VERY cold and windy, no B-day cake except the one I saw in one of the posts here in this thread.

Yes, I watched Wimbledon and when I wasn't that interested in who was playing I read an Agatha Christie b/c I'm determined to finger the perp in at least one of her books. Same with Georgette Heyer's mysteries and some other authors. And I really must post about what I have been reading lately, b/c there have some real winners and I don't think I've posted about books in a very long time.

I was going to call the local pizza place for delivery but decided not to do that either. A few local happy B day calls as well. But I haven't been able to drive my car since last November, so just haven't been out and about to attend this or that so the longer I'm away from people and events, the more once friends become past friends, but there are a few who are hanging in there with me.

But Monday was the amusing day. My brother and a friend had driven up to MA from NC on Saturday for trout fishing and were to arrive here Monday mid-morning. OK, they were a bit late, no matter. Normally my brother would stay with me and Freda would have to move all my tomato related stuff in the back room to put sheets on the sofa sleeper, but they planned to drive back to MA Monday night and then head back down to NC on Tuesday.

Trout fishing won out on any time I had with my brother, not a surprise. He'd asked in advance if I could get him several pints of maple syrup, which I did, and I had several books I wanted to send back with him. But it was the huge green barrel composter that interested him the most. This big green thing that the prior owner of my home had, but never used. So he and his friend hauled it out to his truck. He had asked before hand for it so not an ASAP decision. It was for my nephew.

I'd asked Dave if he would please see if my car started Ok, b'c since I hadn't been driving it, and it had been taken away a few weeks ago on the what I call flat bed truck car ambulance, I wanted to be sure all was OK.

He suggested his friend do that, explaining that he was a NASCAR fan and raced himself on dirt and asphalt. His non-hobby job is as the owner of a bakery in NC and Dave had already been sitting there across from me telling me what the guy brought him from the bakery when it was he who was picking up my brother when they went fishing. So I had to listed to German Chocolate cake, strawberry layer cake, cookies galore and more, and I was salivating. Nope, never thought of bringing at least the cookies to me as a B-day present.

So his friend took the keys, the car started up ASAP and off he went for a short ride, came back and said I should look into a possible break problem, and here I'm not going to go into detail. I told Freda about it and she wasn't convinced b'c she had borrowed my car for several weeks when her truck was having computer problems. Now Freda is also a NASCAR fan as many around here are, and her husband, now deceased, and her son, both raced and she was part of that team who built their cars from bare chassis up. And Freda is a great mechanic.

On top of all that I got pulled into a complicated, somewhat nasty situation having to do with the recent death of a relative of Freda's so there were phone calls, and more swirling around that.

What I'm saying is that while I was alone here with my one remaining cat, there was no peace, no tranquility.

My brother left, said Happy Birthday and off they went. I had expected to have him go get stuff from the pizza place for lunch but they'd stopped by the home of my brothers best fishing buddy up here before getting to my home and Pete had offered to take them out for I guess both lunch and dinner, they accepted,and I said, better Pete's money than mine.

Last night I went back to reading my Agatha Christie b'c I really wanted to know who the perp was and when I turned on the light next to my recliner chair now there's no low light and the 100 didn't turn to the 150 which I want to be able to read. And I couldn't get the bulb out to replace it and Freda had replaced the socket just last year.

So I went to bed kind of upset last night about all that has transpired around here lately.

I used to keep a Peanuts cartoon panel on my office door when I was working. Basically it showed God sitting on a cloud with Peanuts looking up and saying WHY ME, and God looking down and saying, WHY NOT.

So I said why not, and went to bed. I'd hoped that Freda could fix that lamp but now she won't be coming, and of course her first obligation is to her own relatives.

Main heat is turned off, but the baseboard electic heat came on this AM, just to share with you how cold it is in here right now. I switched the leads for my small electric heaters off last week to fans when it was sweltering around here, and since it's supposed to be back up in the 90's by Friday, I just sat out there watching tennis with a warm winter lounger on. Who knew!

Two positives on the brother visit. He didn't say one word about my lousy looking tomatoes in the back yard, but showed me pictures of HIS superb looking tomato plants, and he didn't ask me if I'd made my new will yet.
Old June 27, 2012   #60
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Main heat is turned off, but the baseboard electic heat came on this AM, just to share with you how cold it is in here right now. I switched the leads for my small electric heaters off last week to fans when it was sweltering around here, and since it's supposed to be back up in the 90's by Friday,
sounds like a full day! i ate some chocolate last night to celebrate your birthday.

tell me about the cold! yesterday, as you noted, it was almost cold here and very windy. this morning i was debating about turning on the furnace! 4 days ago it was in the upper 90's with very high humidity a 3 day heat wave and by friday we are looking at 90's and another heat wave.

stay warm for a day then try to stay cool!

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote