Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2012   #16
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Brads is my fav, i posted shots here a few days ago Tracy you should look for them here. They get big healthy fruit and plant, i had a fungus disease last year it was my last plant to die. and we so much rain in june i never had to water the garden but i pick fruit off as soon as any color came . Because they would Blow up from the rain. Finally in August I left one on the plant to rippen it was wonderful strong taste.
If you don't mind being ask, what was your original seed source? Did you save seeds from any of the tomatoes you produced?
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #17
tedln

tjg911,

I am really looking forward to eating my first Prue. I'm hoping my plants will be productive. If the plants don't have a tendency to drop blossoms, they will be productive. They have a lot of blossoms on and I hope they set fruit.

I haven't read any comments in this thread about Granny's Heart. I seem to remember some good reports last year. I may be the grower who reports on it this year.

Ted
Old April 18, 2012   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
tjg911,

I am really looking forward to eating my first Prue. I'm hoping my plants will be productive. If the plants don't have a tendency to drop blossoms, they will be productive. They have a lot of blossoms on and I hope they set fruit.

I haven't read any comments in this thread about Granny's Heart. I seem to remember some good reports last year. I may be the grower who reports on it this year.

Ted
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=granny

There already are some folks who have reported on it at the end of the above thread. And you can see how many people got seeds from Bark, and I'm sure many are growing it out this summer.

In my annual seed offer this past Jan I sent out "tons" of seed for it and reports back in my germination thread are ongoing and later in the summer I always put up another thread asking how the varieties worked out for folks.

I grew it last summer and thought it was excellent.

I could list many hearts here but I know that there already are other threads with the same topic, so won't.

Ja, I'm a heart lover, tomatoes that is, from way long ago. and I think that someone said they got some from Sportsguy and I think I recognize some of them as ones I sent him.
Old April 18, 2012   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Tracy, they are just like any other tomatoes some are very productive and some aren't.

The varieties that I have grown in the past that were very productive for me per plant were:

Hungarian Heart
Kosovo
Linnie's Oxheart
Wes
Oleyar's German
Gildo Pietroboni

The ones that stood out for low production for me were:

Brad's Black Heart
Joe Thienaman's Australian Heart
Bull's Heart
Mazarini

The rest of the hearts that I have grown have been moderate producers.
Thanks! Figures, I picked a low producer!
I will pick one of the higher producers next year.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2012   #20
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Brads is my fav, i posted shots here a few days ago Tracy you should look for them here. They get big healthy fruit and plant, i had a fungus disease last year it was my last plant to die. and we so much rain in june i never had to water the garden but i pick fruit off as soon as any color came . Because they would Blow up from the rain. Finally in August I left one on the plant to rippen it was wonderful strong taste.
Thanks, Filmnet!
Old April 18, 2012   #21
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

This year no new hearts for me just old favs! Thats the way I will roll this year. I bounced Kosovo from the must grow list to re visit some old friends named Anna and Ukrainian. Orange Strawberry will stay for another year as she tastes so good grown in fast soils, yummy yummy. And last but not least is Lilah's Heart that i'm working on that is a cross between Hungarian Heart and Olena Ukrainian. The selections I've made over the last 2 seasons have been excellent! Good luck everybody with those hearts!

Damon

p.s. I still have yet to try BBH
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #22
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

This is the time of year I start thinking about what to plant next year.

Here is a list of hearts I have seeds for or seeds that are on their way.

2013 Tomatoes

G- Gleckler's
h - Heirloom Seeds
T - Tatiana's

Fish Lake Oxheart (New) Trade
German Red Strawberry – Heart (New) h
Granny's Heart (New) Carolyn Male
Homer's German Oxheart (New) G
Hungarian Heart (New) h
Indiana Red – Heart (New) G
Jefferson Giant – Heart (New) h
Sylvan Guame – Heart (New) G
Ukrainian Heart (New) T
Volovie Ukho – Heart (New) T
Wes – Heart (New) G
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #23
tedln

Carolyn,

Thank you for the link to Barkeaters thread on Granny's Heart dating back to 2010. I remember following the thread now.

His comment that "Granny" originated the cultivar by crossing a beef steak and plum variety reminded me of a question I asked in my first post starting this thread. I'll ask it again since I doubt if the original beefsteak or plum shaped parentage of Granny's Heart had the typical wispy foliage of hearts. What is the genetic relationship of wispy foliage and heart shaped tomatoes? I would understand the genetic relationship of wispy foliage heart varieties if they all descended from common parentage, but Granny's Heart seemed to not descend from the parentage of other hearts.

The tomatoville member who traded some Granny's heart seed with me, mentioned he sometimes has PL seedlings germinate from Granny's Heart seed. His original seed was provided by Barkeater.

Ted
Old April 19, 2012   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, I'm not saying Brads Black Heart won't do well for you. I was really looking forward to trying it last year and planted several and none produced any fruit. It seemed to be very susceptible to fusarium which is the bane of my garden.

Since you live where the temperature is even hotter than here you might want to try varieties that do fairly well in the high heat. I have grown two hearts that have set fruit well in very high temperatures because I usually set out plants right through July. Last year Fish Lake Oxheart and Kosovo set fruit during the hottest months of the summer. Another one that does pretty good during the hot weather is Linnie's Oxheart.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #25
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I am using seed of my plant from last year, I got them a few years ago from Helpfull garden website, Brad did send some to them to spread around this years also. I did buy a few of Brads new ones 2 months ago, gemanition was great so far Trenton's Tiger, and the flame one don't remember then name.
Here is Brads B hearts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BradsBlackHeart.jpg (80.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg BradsHeart.jpg (100.3 KB, 43 views)
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tracy, I'm not saying Brads Black Heart won't do well for you. I was really looking forward to trying it last year and planted several and none produced any fruit. It seemed to be very susceptible to fusarium which is the bane of my garden.

Since you live where the temperature is even hotter than here you might want to try varieties that do fairly well in the high heat. I have grown two hearts that have set fruit well in very high temperatures because I usually set out plants right through July. Last year Fish Lake Oxheart and Kosovo set fruit during the hottest months of the summer. Another one that does pretty good during the hot weather is Linnie's Oxheart.
I'll see if I can try one of those next year.
I'm not sure it really matters if something sets well in the heat in AZ. Once it gets hot here, it gets so hot that nothing can set. The challenge is getting fruit set quickly before the heat sets in because there is simply nothing that can set when the average temperature is over 105 and the nighttime temps start staying above 85-90.
Sometimes, I think I'd be better off getting tomatoes that are short season and set in cooler temperatures because it goes from cool nights in the 50s to suddenly being so blasted hot in May. We just don't get much spring here. Last year, what fruit I did get was mostly first, some second truss and it was badly cat faced.
I do still like to try the tomatoes that set in heat and had some success last year with Arkansas Traveler. I also had some fruit set when the monsoon started with Cherokee Purple, Striped Roman and Reisentraube.
Old April 19, 2012   #27
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tracy if you are looking for hearts that set fast then you really need to try Fish Lake Oxheart. It made faster than over 100 varieties last year. The earliest FLO made in was 55 days. Another that has produced very quickly is Kosovo which usually takes about 60 days.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2012   #28
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tracy, they are just like any other tomatoes some are very productive and some aren't.

The varieties that I have grown in the past that were very productive for me per plant were:

Hungarian Heart
Kosovo
Linnie's Oxheart
Wes
Oleyar's German
Gildo Pietroboni

The ones that stood out for low production for me were:

Brad's Black Heart
Joe Thienaman's Australian Heart
Bull's Heart
Mazarini

The rest of the hearts that I have grown have been moderate producers.
I love knowing this for your location. I hope it proves true for mine, too, because I'm growing Kosovo (Carolyn) and Mazarini (Trade from reliable source).
Isn't Anna Russian considered a heart, and a good producer? Or is it just a moderate producer of amazing tomatoes?

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
I love knowing this for your location. I hope it proves true for mine, too, because I'm growing Kosovo (Carolyn) and Mazarini (Trade from reliable source).
Isn't Anna Russian considered a heart, and a good producer? Or is it just a moderate producer of amazing tomatoes?

j
Yes, Anna Russian is a pink heart, quite early for a heart variety, tastes good and has always produced well for me.

There's also Russian #117, a double red heart, and well, I could make a long list of ones I've grown and liked, and to be honest there are few heart varieties that I didn't think much of, but I know there are other threads here where I and others have made such lists of ones we liked.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...haped_Tomatoes

Above is a list of heart varieties from Tania's site and for those who are interested it's a great way to find yet more heart varieties.
Old April 20, 2012   #30
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

I only went with three hearts this year. I love hearts but so many of them have longer seasons. Almost all my selections this year only made the cut if they were mid-season producers.

Hays
Anna Russian
Sherry's Sweet Heart

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote