Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2012   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Neem oil is organic,comes from the Neem tree, and works much better than pesticides. you can get it from Gardensafe online with free shipping. I usually get 3 bottles at a time and that gets me through a season. I spray once/week, and the oil in it coats the whitefly bodies and smothers them, nymphs don't live either. They develop resistance to pesticides, but not to Neem oil. Insecticidal soap works well too, but I found Neem to be a little better.
(Just be sure to spray when it is early morning or late afternoon or the sun will cook your leaves after spraying.)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #17
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I have NEEM. I mix it with Maneb.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #18
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

That Brandywine plant looks extremely healthy!!

Very impressive!

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #19
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you do get some seeds make sure to ferment and or sterilize if you are worried about any diseases.Some diseases will carry over into the seed coatings and might emerge next planting.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #20
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
That Brandywine plant looks extremely healthy!!

Very impressive!

Julia
The plant is dead. I tore it out today. It had TYLCV.
Old June 25, 2012   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

USDA homemade remedy to White Flies

Mix together;

1 Tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial things)

1 Cup Vegetable Oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well.
DON’T USE THIS AS YOUR SPRAY; IT MUST BE DILUTED!

Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of this master solution into 1 cup of water
then,

Shake well and spray on infested undersides after the sun has set, otherwise the oil will burn your leaves in the sun.

I make this for white flies and it is the only thing I was able to use that got rid of the white flies, I have battled them for over two seasons. Even Neem Oil didn't do it for me and I was in constant battle with it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2012   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidstcldfl View Post
Hi Garf, I just did a search for what Ginger was referring to. Unfortunately, I've seen it in some of my tomatoes. At least now, I know what I'm having an issue with.
http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/agriculture/...ome_mgmt.shtml

Just a quick 'Hi' to everyone. This is my 1st post. I joined some time back, just been reading as much as I can....
Great link David. Hope you can come to the Florida Tag tasting in March, or the plant exchange in Nov.
If you can't , thanks for the link.
Old June 29, 2012   #23
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mulchplant5.jpg (416.7 KB, 14 views)
Old June 29, 2012   #24
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Kind of a small plant for Brandywine
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
If you do get some seeds make sure to ferment and or sterilize if you are worried about any diseases.Some diseases will carry over into the seed coatings and might emerge next planting.
Not to worry, the virus doesn't settle into the seeds, and it is transmitted by a vector(whitefly), so his seeds should be just fine.

Question: Is dried seed germplasm considered living? I ask because viruses are obligate intracellular parasites and can't "live" on their own outside of a living cell for more than about 10 minutes.
Old June 29, 2012   #26
casserole
Tomatovillian™

Mix together;

1 Tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap (the regular kind; NOT one of those anti-microbial things)

1 Cup Vegetable Oil (peanut, corn, soybean, sunflower or safflower) and shake well.

then,

Shake well and spray on infested undersides after the sun has set, otherwise the oil will burn your leaves in the sun.

I make this for white flies and it is the only thing I was able to use that got rid of the white flies, I have battled them for over two seasons. Even Neem Oil didn't do it for me and I was in constant battle with it.

Are you sure that recipe only makes one cup of spray
casserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2012   #27
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by casserole View Post

Mix together;

then,

Are you sure that recipe only makes one cup of spray
I thought oil and water didn't mix? Also does the oil act as a active ingredient or is it the soap that's acting as the repellent.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #28
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
I thought oil and water didn't mix? Also does the oil act as a active ingredient or is it the soap that's acting as the repellent.
Correct, oil and water don't mix, but when you add the soap they do. it becomes a "dispersant". Also for whiteflies the oil coats them so they can't breath, gets into their soft waxy bodies too, and the soap ruptures their soft wax . it's a good spray because they cant develop immunity to it, and they do develop immunity to some pesticides. Neem oil works the same way, and they add soap to it too.
Old June 30, 2012   #29
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Question: Is dried seed germplasm considered living? I ask because viruses are obligate intracellular parasites and can't "live" on their own outside of a living cell for more than about 10 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know the correct answer to this from a scientific view?
Old June 30, 2012   #30
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Yes, until it is not <grin>

It is alive so long as you can get it to germinate I guess. Some seeds will last for decades, others will give up the ghost in a very short period of time.

They "live" slowly, basically in a kind of stasis, waiting for conditions such that are suitable for growing.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote