Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2018   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We also got a cold rainy, windy wather starting past saturday. The forecast called for a low of 37F. But I could not trust itm so i did a whole lot of covering, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplants, bean, ...some more. It has been cooler eversince. But noght lows stay above 40F. I can live with that. Warm weather is due this Thursday. Thanks for the winds coming from SW. Is that TX ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #47
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well I did it. Plants went out in their cups for a hardening off on a sunny afternoon in the 70's. Unfortunately I did have to water them before they went out as they were way too dry for sunshine and greenhouse heat. Protected with some row cover for their first night which dropped to 46 F.... and stayed under cover all the next day, which only got up to 52F. Then last night dropped to the 40 F.

The good news is, we're getting patchy sun this morning and up to 50 F by 9. So I'm hoping it will be heat not cold that challenges today - or not too much of anything.
The plants do have flower buds in progress, some are close to flowering, so I will see down the road if there are any detrimental effects on those first cluster fruit...
They're not looking extremely happy at this point, so now that my breakfast is done, I better go take the cover off, give them a pep talk and a closer look.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #48
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

whoo hoo! above freezing tonight and tomorrow night.... barely, but still above freezing. 36° and 41°. planting up the high tunnel today if we can get that far. tilling, laying plastic, planting a couple rows of corn and errands to run today... lots to get done but I think January is finally gone.
Old April 21, 2018   #49
bower
Tomatovillian™

Woot! Glad to hear it Carolyn!! Fingers crossed for finally turning the corner.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #50
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
... lots to get done but I think January is finally gone.
What a great way to put it!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #51
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm glad it's warming up - it's past time if you were to ask me. The coming week's forecast has no low temps below 50. I hope they are right.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018   #52
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

After last year's crazy spring weather I decided to start tomatoes two weeks later than usual. And I'm glad I did. We had a low of 28 here a full week after the average last frost date. Covered as many outdoor plants as I could, also covered inside the greenhouse, which got down to 38.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
But night lows stay above 40F. I can live with that. Warm weather is due this Thursday. Thanks for the winds coming from SW. Is that TX ?
This past week we had two nights right at freezing, and I had to cover all my fig trees and move recently potted-up tomato seedlings indoors from my unheated greenhouse. This morning it was 33! The weather has been really unpredictable the past three years. I hate to miss out on early tomatoes, but I will probably start seeds late again next year just to avoid having to bring plants indoors multiple times.

Last edited by fonseca; April 21, 2018 at 07:54 PM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote