Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2012   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default My Garde update July5th

bottom side of 4 plants from left, 2 Trenton's Tigers to right is Amazon Chocolate and a sungold third is Black Cherry and to right corner in Markos Florist
Middle row has from left P Robeson right beside birdbath Stump of the world, and last right is Solar Flame
Back row of 4 plants BTD, Brads Black Heart, Black/Brown Boar, corner plant is Amazon Chocolate
2 lg pots back right are Jaunne Flame, and Siberian and growing beside fence are Red Pear and Carbon
window boxes 5 basil, Mrs Burns, Siam queen, Sweet, Dwarf,Lime
parsley and mixed set
Peppers spread around in groups so no crosses? Slovena Uvo. Paladancko, Perrperadew, Fatilii, Red Caribbean, Red and Yellow Bhut, Scorpion
Corno Di Karpi.
RussianGiant Garlic coming out this weekend, Butternut squash started in back trained to stay in back
Cuke's growing vertical hopefully in 2 cages
All plants have either flowers or fruit except Black/brow boar 2nd terrible year with these seeds very small plant stunted like last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july5.jpg (508.8 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by FILMNET; July 5, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

They're really taking off now! Your ground is good and soaked from all the rain so they should be mighty happy with the sun and heat we're getting now. Are you staking instead of weaving this year?

I pulled the last of my garlic yesterday and am trying to train my butternut to stay in place and cukes to climb a trellis. It requires a bit of tending.

I think your peppers are likely to cross being so close- all it takes is for one insect to go from one to another. I've been bagging but I have even worse luck with the peppers than the tomatoes- so many of the fruits just dry up and fall off. I did manage to get some Slonovo Uvo but haven't had any luck with the Palanacko Cudo yet.

Thanks for posting the update pic.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2012   #3
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Florida weave i will not use this year plants have never grow like they did 3 years ago it was great weave. I even used small bamboo sticks on plants this spring, just this weekend i used the 8ft sticks. I know you are not to change stick, after theY are growing, but i did pound the stick's with a hammer in the ground 12". And I am cutting stems or leafs off on bottoms, i want the plants to grow up to 5ft. Kath, the pepper ever years are ok i have not grow any bad ones, with correct ?
Some tomato plants made 2 stems really early so both stems i will get grow, and use 2 sticks for this.
Yes my Solvena and Padadanck pepper are have a bad summer so far also
But Pepperadew peppers are growing great

Last edited by FILMNET; July 5, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old July 5, 2012   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

If you're only letting them get to 5' you can attach 2 stems to the same stake if it's sturdy enough. Are you using 8' bamboo sticks or 2"x2"x8' wooden stakes?

My little peppadew plant is only about 1' tall but already has ripened 3 peppers. Is it supposed to be that short?
Old July 5, 2012   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes pepperadew will only grow to 1 ft , BTW this is the spelling! funny Pepperadew if you keep the plant alive the fruit will come later a ton, it loves cold nights late year.These are 8ft very hard wood,not pine they sell here, they are dipped in something dark liquid which save's it for years , 2$ each great deal
Kath have you bought any Pepperadews in stores yet they are selling like crazy now some stores have them in Deli now. I am growing 5 and a friend i gave plants to has now 7 more. If you are a good cooker can you make something like they have in stores.
Old July 5, 2012   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to remember to look for them next time I'm shopping and to check online to see how to prepare them. Believe it or not, they're pretty hot for me.

That burst of new blooms and fruits in the fall happens most years with most of the peppers I grow. My former favorite sweet pepper, Carmen F1, isn't doing well this year- they almost look like they have the stinkbug damage that I saw later in the summer last year. So far, Slonovo Uvo and Palanacko Cudo are doing the best. I may actually have found my ultimate open-pollinated sweet peppers- I'd be happy with no more pepper trials.
Old July 5, 2012   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I loved the Marko peppers i even gave some ripen ones to a friend 96yr old Italian neighbor, i am keeping seed for sure same with Pepperadew. You must clean the seeds out and the inside out of the pepperadews, they do this and they will not let you know what they are soaked in in the bottles or on there website, Very secretive company. I told you this before didn't I? Thats why no seeds are sold anywhere? for sure!!!!!! The bottles are not marked but they are cleaned which hold the heat. Ever day i see a recipes on cooking shows with them on national tv shows, and food network.
Old July 5, 2012   #8
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Your garden is looking MUCH better! yay!

You know, I have what I 'thought' was a peppadew, has not flowered yet, but it is a bit taller than 1'. They really stay that small? Do they spread along the ground? My peppers are not as organized as my tomatoes unfortunately. I have some here, some there all mixed in with other plants like my dwarfs.

My B&B Boar is about 4' tall but not too many blossoms or fruitset. It is in a SWC with Pink Boar, and Pink Boar is kicking it's butt, many more fruit and those look to be almost ready to blush. I expected more out of the B&B Boar to be honest as everyone says it is so productive. Both plants get the same treatment. hmmm... Well, I'll let you know if the Pink Boar is tasty!
Old July 6, 2012   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I remember B/B Boar from 2 yrs ago it was wonderful black tomatoes which i love.
The peperadew's grow different than any other pepper plant 1 stem large leafs the fruit comes out straight up small round green ones, as they grow bigger and about to change to red they tip over here is some shots from last years plants which survived till late September.
No they do not spead only 1 stem. On their website in North America site, they posted a photo of there plants in their new farm in New Jersey. look for it
Lakelady this farm is open to the public might be a nice trip for you NW New Jersey
BTW if you go, don't tell them you are growing any!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pepperdew1.jpg (18.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Pepperdew2.jpg (24.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg pepperdue.jpg (80.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by FILMNET; July 6, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old July 6, 2012   #10
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

New page on Pepperadew facebook page from their New Jersey farm new gold pepperadews growing in there filelds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 8.jpg (215.9 KB, 11 views)