Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2012   #31
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinslair View Post
Yes, until it is not <grin>

It is alive so long as you can get it to germinate I guess. Some seeds will last for decades, others will give up the ghost in a very short period of time.

They "live" slowly, basically in a kind of stasis, waiting for conditions such that are suitable for growing.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
So are they alive enough to harbor a virus, being dried out like that? I know the answer is yes for bacteria and fungi, but a virus needs an active cell to live ,uses the cells DNA to replicate itself. Bacteria and fungi can live on their own, have their own DNA and water.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #32
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://sparknotes4pak.blogspot.com/2...ature-and.html This will kinda clear up some questions.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #33
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I don't always trust blogs, soI did some online research, this from a source that is a newspaper, which is for the state of Hawaii
Quote:Spread of TYLCV
TYLCV is primarily transmitted by the sweetpotato whitefly (Bemisia tabaci) and the biotype B (or silverleaf) whitefly (Bemisia argentifolii). These whiteflies can acquire the virus in as little as 5 minutes by feeding on infected plants, and they remain infective for life; the virus, however, is not passed on to their progeny. TYLCV is not spread by other whitefly species such as the greenhouse whitefly, Trialeurodes vaporariorum, which is also common in Hawai‘i. TYLCV cannot be spread by seed and is not mechanically transmitted (e.g., by pruning equipment or by touch). Long-distance spread of TYLCV occurs primarily by movement of infected plant material or by wind dispersal of whiteflies harboring the virus.

Here's the whole link:http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/20...waii-tomatoes/

Here's another link:http://www.infonet-biovision.org/default/ct/88/pests

And a quote from it:Source of infection and spread
The tomato yellow leaf curl virus is not seed-borne and is not transmitted mechanically. The disease is spread by whiteflies (Bemisia tabaci). Whiteflies have a wide host range. New plant growth attracts whiteflies, which feed on the lower leaf surface. It takes about 15-30 minutes for the whitefly to become infected by the virus. The incubation period is 21-24 hours, and the transmission period at least 15 min.
So you see, there is no danger of getting the TYLCV from seed. Good to know, at least that is one less thing to worry about!
I especially trust .ORG sources for research because they are mostly from universities or other non profit research oriented sources.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote