Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2012   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default Tom Prudens purple tomatoes

We put out three Tom Prudens purple tomato plants. This is a first for us. Has anyone tried them in the past?How do they taste?

One problem we are seeing is that they are large plants and only the very top seem to be flowering.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
We put out three Tom Prudens purple tomato plants. This is a first for us. Has anyone tried them in the past?How do they taste?

One problem we are seeing is that they are large plants and only the very top seem to be flowering.
Prudens Purple IMO is an excellent variety. Large pink beefsteak fruits, lots of them, and the taste is great.

There was a lot of confusion when Pinetree starting listing it b'c they referred to it as an "early" Brandywine, but of course it wasn't Brandywine at all.

I don't know how large your PP plants are but I always sprawled my plants so couldn't tell you if the blossoms were at the top or bottom of the plant. All I know is that there were many of those blossoms that set fruit, which was good.
Old July 1, 2012   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Prudens Purple but I never heard of "Tom Prudens" purple.

Did your seed packet maybe get labeled "Tom." as an abbreviation for tomato, followed by the variety name of Prudens Purple?

I can foresee future threads here asking if Prudens Purple and "Tom Prudens" Purple are the same variety.

My Prudens Purple did get to be large plants but the flowers and fruit were not all at the very top of the plant as you describe.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #4
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

One of the tops for me! Largest fruit of 2011, early, nice looking fruit and plant, and great tasting. Prudens Purple had locked in a permanent spot in my garden.
Old July 1, 2012   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Pruden's Purple has a spot in my garden this year for the first time. So far, at about 3', it's not among the tallest of its peers and it's far from having the most fruits. It has been pruned to 2 leaders and although it only set one fruit low on the plant it has about a half dozen set in the 30-36" area and lots of flowers now. It was recommended to me as one I might like, so I'm hoping I like the taste, too, Elliot.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #6
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I have an unpruned Pruden's Purple (seeds from Burpee) that's been pumping out a decent amount of fairly nice to great tasting 5ou to 1/2lb fruit. It's completely loaded with both blossoms and fruit and was setting a large ratio. It's been one of the more disease resistant heirlooms in my garden. In previous years, the tomatoes better resembled a standard BW fruit, being larger and more flat/oblate. I'm surprised to find these very round globes coming off the plant this year; correct "purple-pink" color with a larger number of fruits, but just not hitting the expected sizes. I'll definitely grow again, and again.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote