Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 25, 2017   #1
ChefBertMor
Tomatovillian™

Default Found Pine Bark Fines!!!!

After years of searching I've finally found pine bark fines that are fine enough for my containers. OK, its not 'partially composted,' but its a start.

They also had a product from Bonnies, a potting mix 70% canadian peat and 30% perlite. No wee buggies. But for $12 I was wondering if anyone has come across this product and is it any good?

Chef Bert
Old September 25, 2017   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I haven't found fines after the prolonged search either. Is your new source a bulk product of a commercial bagged product?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I use the soil conditioner from home depot. Works great for me.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #4
ChefBertMor
Tomatovillian™

I got it at Bushel Stop. Its not quite a nursery, and its not quite a rock quarry, but both. Its a 2 cf bagged product. Smells like a pine forest
Old September 25, 2017   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I had to look it up, I forgot the brand. It's Timberline.... someone here had posted about it when I first joined. I was having a hard time finding as well. Is this what you are referring to? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Timberlin...il+conditioner

Says in the product overview that it's great for container gardening and I have used this when making up my own mix. Also when I am reusing old potting mixes and such. Very satisfied with the results.

I wouldn't have thought about calling it soil conditioner. At any rate, I had a difficult time when inquiring about either name (pine bark fines and soil conditioner). No one around here knew what the heck I was looking for, never heard of it.
Old September 26, 2017   #6
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

it is not avail to my stores. Thanks for posting link though I gotta keep looking.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #7
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I had to look it up, I forgot the brand. It's Timberline.... someone here had posted about it when I first joined. I was having a hard time finding as well. Is this what you are referring to? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Timberlin...il+conditioner

Says in the product overview that it's great for container gardening and I have used this when making up my own mix. Also when I am reusing old potting mixes and such. Very satisfied with the results.

I wouldn't have thought about calling it soil conditioner. At any rate, I had a difficult time when inquiring about either name (pine bark fines and soil conditioner). No one around here knew what the heck I was looking for, never heard of it.
I buy and use Timberline PINE BARK MULCH from WM ( ~$4 per 2 cu.ft). I use it as soil conditioner/amendment and also for few container planting. I screen it through 1/2" mesh to get the big chunks out. For containers I add about 20% floor dry from O Reiley. It is 100% DE. This is instead/in place of perlite.

What is sold as water saver is also pine bark fine.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017   #8
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I buy and use Timberline PINE BARK MULCH from WM ( ~$4 per 2 cu.ft). I use it as soil conditioner/amendment and also for few container planting. I screen it through 1/2" mesh to get the big chunks out. For containers I add about 20% floor dry from O Reiley. It is 100% DE. This is instead/in place of perlite.

What is sold as water saver is also pine bark fine.

That Timberline is half the price I paid for mine. But mine 1/4 in or less, and yours is probably produced in state. Just guessing.

Perlite vs DE, why? whats the benefit over perlite?

Where and what is water saver? Hae no clue where I would look for it.
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017   #9
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I love the soil conditioner because it doesn't need screening
Old September 30, 2017   #10
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

The HomeDepos near me in SoCal don't have Timberline but do carry a small pine bark product that is usually pretty cheap.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017   #11
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBert View Post
That Timberline is half the price I paid for mine. But mine 1/4 in or less, and yours is probably produced in state. Just guessing.

Where and what is water saver? Hae no clue where I would look for it.
Quote:
I like DE because :
-- It won't float.
-- It will absorb moisture \
-- It won't fall apart due to cold/freezing ...
-- As it hold just right amount of moisture, release it slowly, it also provides drainage
-- Price wise it is about the same as perlite or cheaper.
-- it is more uniform is size.

I used to do a lot of container planting before. But now that I have all the garden space that I want, I just do a few ornamental peppers and dwarf tomatoes.
But I mix DE with all my starting and potting mix for seedlings for just about anything that I start from seed ( herbs, flowers, ...).

I use pine bark fines because my native soil is better than 90% fine sand. So it helps to retain moisture better. I mix some of it at the bottom of planting holes.

Happy Gardening !
Old October 1, 2017   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

My Home Depot carries bags of “mini nuggets” which I use in larger container mix.Thier source in ga /no lets you buy larger units.I get mine at 2 .97bag.Do not let sit in water too long.If left too long ants love the nesting opportunities.We fill in bald spots,dog runs,the proverbial car tracks.The larger nuggets are...........LARGE.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-cu-yd-L...BMN5/205325452

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Timberlin...8083/100348875

Last edited by kurt; October 1, 2017 at 01:11 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #13
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
My Home Depot carries bags of “mini nuggets” which I use in larger container mix.Thier source in ga /no lets you buy larger units.I get mine at 2 .97bag.Do not let sit in water too long.If left too long ants love the nesting opportunities.We fill in bald spots,dog runs,the proverbial car tracks.The larger nuggets are...........LARGE.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-cu-yd-L...BMN5/205325452

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Timberlin...8083/100348875
I used to buy Greensgrow mini nuggets, at Lowes, in PNW.
Then I had to add peat moss to it. But with pine bark mulch I don't need to add PM, cause it has a good portion with PM consistency.
According to Al Tapla ( creator of 5-1-1 mix ) Max nugget size shoud be about 3/8". and mostly 1/4" to under 1/2". For that reason you add PM to improve moisture retention.

Happy Gardening !
Old October 2, 2017   #14
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Trust me,here at 80/90 himidity,our centipede grasses,knock it down in no time,add our rainfalls ....The chunks in the large nuggets are I kid you not 2/4 inches long up to1/2 thick(I use for smoker kindle starter)The industry standard grading system is nonexistent at this writing for me here.