Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 19, 2017   #256
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
If you want to do a "versus" with Prue, I have some seeds of Amish Paste (Scarzini strain). It's said to grow larger than AP, and to have more of the Prue shape(s).
I pm'd you.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #257
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Arkansas Traveler vs Eva Purple Ball

I finally got around to picking one of the Traveler plants today and got 25 ripe or near ripe tomatoes off one plant. I noticed some were already on the ground. When I was picking these tomatoes off the plant a few would fall off when tugged on another. I thought to myself, just like Eva Purple Ball.

These are obviously not the same tomato, so let me just compare them the best I can.

Similarities

1- Both pink, about the same color

2- Both can have tomatoes that fall to the ground when ripe at least in my garden

3- Both have good disease tolerance

4- They are both about the same size tomatoes

5- Both beautiful round tomatoes with no cracking

6- Both have peak production in the fall which is kinda unusual at least here they do although they will produce all summer

7- Both set tomatoes equally well in the heat

Differences

1- Traveler is a compact plant about 6 feet tall and Eva Purple Ball can grow to 8 or more

2- Traveler has great complex taste. Eva Purple Ball has great complex taste too but is a little on the sweeter side.

If someone told me that Traveler was one of the parents of Eva Purple Ball I would believe it in a second. But of course no one can prove that but I would believe it with all the similarities. But I don't think anyone can prove that Eva Purple Ball is a 150 year old Heirloom from the Black Forest of Germany either.

Both great tomatoes

Last edited by seaeagle; September 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #258
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Indian Zebra vs Cherokee Purple

I grew 2 plants of each of these. All had tomatoes on the plants when they were planted into the garden. Both ripened the same time in late June.

The tomatoes on both plants were the same size and the same color through the whole summer.

The plants were basically the same height.

At times it was hard to taste any difference in the tomatoes.

Did a taste test today on vine ripened tomatoes on both which were the same size and at peak ripeness. Cherokee Purple had a very complex taste, sweet with a bold finish. Indian Zebra was sweeter at first bite but still complex but not as bold with the finish. I love both of them and depending on who is tasting them could go either way depending on one's taste.

Indian Zebra was more productive than Cherokee Purple. The reason for this I think is it set a little better in the heat and humidity.

I am probably going to grow both every year cause I do prefer slightly the taste of Cherokee Purple and it is very slightly.

Another note. I did not grow what I thought was Cherokee Purple which I had been growing for several years. And what I was growing wasn't the real Cherokee Purple. It was a darker tomato like Carbon almost brown, but otherwise identical to Cherokee Purple. I think what I had been growing was Cherokee Chocolate.

Got my seeds from Moscow today delivered by Homeland Security Actually they were in the mailbox, but really cool stamps and all
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #259
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

OK, the verdicts are in:
Medova Kaplya vs. Yellow Pear- Neither. Post Office Spoonful, Sungold, & Dr. Carolyn are the cherry-sized winners.
Anna Maria's Heart vs. Dotson's Lebanese Heart- Dotson's all the way.
Big Beef F1 vs. Better Boy F1 vs. Giant Beef F1- Big Beef.
Big Brandy F1 vs. Brandymaster Red F1
(yes, diff. colors, but both offspring of Brandywine)- Big Brandy, the only one with flavor.
Manalucie F1 vs. Crimson Carmello F1- Tie.
Orange Strawberry vs. Orange Russian 117- Orange Strawberry. Neither had much taste, but OS was more vigorous.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017   #260
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Spudakee vs Cherokee purple. Spudakee hands down. They are still alive! Survived through everything that killed the rest. They just refuse to quit. Flavor and production are about the same as CHP but now with an extra 7 weeks of production they have far surpassed it. If your a CHRP fan you need to grow this tomato!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote