Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2017   #526
imp
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a Lab pointer cross, but not seeing him standing in the picture ( side shot) makes it a bit tough. He seems to have a slight brush on his tail a lab shaped head and eyes, ear set/size also lab type more or less.

The best thing? You both have decided you belong together and are happy about it.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #527
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Best of all he is a mix.
It is unbelievable how many bad health traits are bred into some of the pure breed dogs.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2017   #528
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Looks like a Lab pointer cross, but not seeing him standing in the picture ( side shot) makes it a bit tough. He seems to have a slight brush on his tail a lab shaped head and eyes, ear set/size also lab type more or less.

The best thing? You both have decided you belong together and are happy about it.
Yeah, I also thought that he has some Lab Pointer feature. But I agree with Worth ; He has some Fox Hound blood for sure. He is more slim and tall than labs, I think.
Yes, we sure decided to be buddies.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #529
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Pictures

How about some pictures of the clean-up and your garden, mine is frozen solid.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #530
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Already!? Cheez.

Well, I guess it is October...

Yes, pix please.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #531
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

oh my oh my... froze already? we just mowed down the corn on saturday and I picked 1 1/2 bushels of beans this afternoon. not ready for frozen or even a frost (which we did already have a light one of). greenhouse isn"t even close to done.
Old October 3, 2017   #532
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
How about some pictures of the clean-up and your garden, mine is frozen solid.
Are you asking me for pictures? Sorry, my ell phone is a pain in the rear getting pics off of it and onto the computer so I gave up along time ago. It is not worth the frustration.

I can tell you they took our friends home out today and I just wanted to cry. I stopped myself though because I have already cried so much over their losses.

On a good note I took those adult bibs she made over to a care home in Portland, and they accepted them with a great big smile and said they could use them. They have three patients right now that could use a clean one at each meal. What a blessing my friend has given them.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2017   #533
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Most of the rubbish and brush has been picked up in my neighborhood they picked up our second pile yesterday. The neighbors on both sides of me have not finished their cleanup yet. The back fence lays on the ground where it landed during the storm. I guess they decided the church would pick it up. Let's see how long that battle lasts. This is the same neighbor I can't wait until moves. There were a lot of people looking at the property this last weekend.

The neighbor on the other side of me has not picked up any of the mess left behind after their huge pile was taken. There are still roof shingles all over his property and driveway clear out into the street in front of his house. Hubby picked up what was in the street but said the neighbor can take care of the rest.

The neighbor next to them is a single dad, hubby went out there and helped him clean up his yard and weed wacked the tall grass so it can be mowed real well. His mower is broken so hubby will mow it. He just had the requirement that everything be picked up because he doesn't want anything damaging our new mower.

That's about it around here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old October 3, 2017   #534
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Gardening wise, I am practically done with tomatoes but my peppers are loaded and keep pumping. Somehow peppers love this sandy soil. All I amended with was fall leaves, pine needles , some horse poo and wood ash. Very little in the way of fertilizing. Being my first year hear that I made a garden from native grass, I am amazed. My tomatoes did ok but not great.
I will repeat the same later this fall.

Happy Gardening !
Old October 6, 2017   #535
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Noticed our lowe's is open yesterday. The garden center is still pretty well beat up, won't be getting any tomato plants this fall.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old October 7, 2017   #536
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I did my final tomato plants clean up today ( except for a few second round planting ones)
Stupice and Sungold had lots of tomatoes on them but the taste was not good. So they went in the compost pile.
I have bought annual rye grass to plant in the vacated garden. I might mix some fenugreek and cilantro with it too. Fenugreek root is supposed to be nitrogen fixer.

Happy Gardening !
Old October 24, 2017   #537
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I just went out to turn off the trickle water on the crape myrtle tree we saved from our friends place. It seems to really like where we put it. I did use that potting mix in the hole when we planted it and it has new leaves growing on it. So, I guess the high heat summer wasn't so bad for it. Now it is getting cold out and I am hoping I got at least some good roots going in that tree to help sustain it through the cold. I think I will be wrapping it when a cold snap hits though just to keep it from freezing on the leaves which are turning a beautiful fall orange now.

I'm really liking this tree and it is in a perfect spot and since it won't get any bigger it is not detrimental to my very small yard.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old October 24, 2017   #538
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

And now I have another problem. Because there are no fences I am at the mercy of people mowing the church yard and shooting the grass and sand into my yard. This resulted in sand being blown all over my garden beds and the mix I have in them. I am afraid now I might have some RKN that have just been planted right into my beds. How do I combat this? I could remove the top inches of mix and cook it in the oven? Looks like I won't have a garden this year after all.

I saw the guy riding a dixie chopper and the grass and sand being blasted into my yard because he had the shoot fully open, not closed and directed at the ground. He loaded up the car with sand and grass because the tarp had come off the car. He sand blasted the RV and my shed too. It's also in my compost I have been working on, so I won't use that in my garden now.

What a jerk. I spent a lot of money and effort on this garden and he undid it in one lawn mowing.

Ugh!

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; October 24, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old October 24, 2017   #539
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Mindless idiots.
My neighbors lawn people spray painted my tomato plants with clouds of dust.
A sure fire way to put a tomato plant down.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #540
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

If I wasn't a somewhat social person I would live on an island. So so darn tired of idiot neighbors around here.

~Margaret Atwood~