Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 9, 2017   #451
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Thanks for explaining yourself. It helps. I was so mad at you, lol.
I caught it right off the bat.
As a friend, calm down and think, you are stressed out and been through hard times.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #452
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Went into Rockport looking to see if any of the restaurants are open yet and they are not. Saw more devastation because we went in another direction than we went before. It's just awful, that whole picturesque town is forever changed. Our friends will be here the 14th and will stay until the 16th. Their insurance adjuster will be out on the 15th to meet them in Rockport.

I called Samaritans purse today and left a message for help. They have posted a flyer asking for people in Rockport who need help with cleanup, salvage, etc. I hope they will help them. There is still plenty that could be taken from there. I think most kitchen stuff will be good. Some of their clothes from the bedroom, and of course the rest of the wood furniture we couldn't get into my truck.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #453
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, hopefully Samaritans Purse can help your friends recover what they can and clean up the rest. And thank you for trying to help others, when your own plate is full.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017   #454
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Samaritans Purse called me back this morning. They took all the info, then called me back with an okay they would help them. There are close to 600 people waiting for help from them so it will take a while because they need more volunteers to help them. I really wish I was healthy and could help people in that way.

As far as the dresses go, I can't find anywhere here that will take them because the outreach has been overwhelming and they have far too much stuff to give away. So, my friend will take them back with her and give them to the church for their next load going to the Houston area.

Her adult bibs she makes will be delivered to a senior home somewhere, maybe Portland. I can't reach any of the senior homes in Rockport. I don't know if they will be open or not. Not sure what to do with the kitchen towels she makes. They are awesome though, she puts a flap on them, with a snap to attach to handles on stove or cabinets. I love mine.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old September 15, 2017   #455
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Our friends are here sleeping in the guest room. Tomorrow they go meet with the insurance adjuster regarding their home. It's so sad. We were going through the things we were able to save for them and I asked her about all the little aprons she was sewing and she pulled one out that has all sorts of pretty little flowers all over it. She told me she made it when she was 10 years old, it was her first sewing project, and she said it was a flour sack she made it from. How neat is that. Then there was this little baby shirt I saw in her belongings and she told me she wore that when she was a baby. She uses it for a sample size to make more outfits for babies. She is such a neat lady, you know.

It's really hard knowing they have to start all over again.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 15, 2017   #456
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Our friends are here sleeping in the guest room. Tomorrow they go meet with the insurance adjuster regarding their home. It's so sad. We were going through the things we were able to save for them and I asked her about all the little aprons she was sewing and she pulled one out that has all sorts of pretty little flowers all over it. She told me she made it when she was 10 years old, it was her first sewing project, and she said it was a flour sack she made it from. How neat is that. Then there was this little baby shirt I saw in her belongings and she told me she wore that when she was a baby. She uses it for a sample size to make more outfits for babies. She is such a neat lady, you know.

It's really hard knowing they have to start all over again.
Rock, I am curious what insurance company they have? I know after our tornado, some companies performed MUCH better than others. Sadly some had to really fight to get a fair settlement.
Old September 15, 2017   #457
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
Rock, I am curious what insurance company they have? I know after our tornado, some companies performed MUCH better than others. Sadly some had to really fight to get a fair settlement.
TWIA is the insurance that has to cover the hurricane damage.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 17, 2017   #458
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Well our friends met with the adjuster and we knew it as a total loss already. I guess TWIA insurance is only for regular stick built homes, not mobile homes. The insurance they have isn't much so they will be taking a huge loss on it. Now with getting it off the lot it's on and them to decide what they will do for the future. It's just so sad.

Found out another friend of ours also lost her home in Rockport. She is in San Antonio and will probably be moving to Colorado to be near her son and his wife. Just so much loss around here. I balled today.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 17, 2017   #459
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

so sad Rockporter. and they are only one of an oceanful of sad stories. I see all the oodles of money being dumped at the relief effort but wonder who is getting help... really. I am a pretty skeptical person when it comes to funds donated.... we want to help and we give but I feel like all you who are going through it aren't getting it....
Old September 17, 2017   #460
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Me too.
Old September 17, 2017   #461
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Rock, I am sorry to hear your friends are going to be taking a loss. I am not familiar with TWIA or how it works or doesn't work. It's a tough situation for all involved.
Old September 17, 2017   #462
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

TWIA is Texas windstorm insurance. Without this insurance, the thousands of homes across Texas would not have coverage for windstorm damage.

https://www.twia.org/

~Margaret Atwood~

Old September 17, 2017   #463
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
so sad Rockporter. and they are only one of an oceanful of sad stories. I see all the oodles of money being dumped at the relief effort but wonder who is getting help... really. I am a pretty skeptical person when it comes to funds donated.... we want to help and we give but I feel like all you who are going through it aren't getting it....
I wonder about that too. It seems if you were totally down and out before you have so much given to you. If you were supporting yourself and doing all the right things it's a struggle to get any coverage. Seems to be what I am finding out anyway. Seems so wrong to give all the support to those down and out and not those who struggle day to day just to live on their own, and support themselves. They are in their 70's, so not young, and can't really rebuild their lives so easily. They have retirement income but it certainly is not enough to just go out and buy a new mobile on a whim.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 17, 2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old September 17, 2017   #464
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The minute you try to get on your feet they cut you off.
It is a self destructive stupid system for sure.
It propagates and breeds poverty ignorance and dependence because as soon as you try they knock you down.
Worth
Old September 17, 2017   #465
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

They who? The people who are giving you stuff?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote