Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 18, 2008   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Bigger Drainage hole for HEB?

I made my boxes last year with a 1/4 inch hole for the drain hole. I was thinking of making it slightly larger to 3/8 of an inch? It seemed that the drain holes plugged up easily from small pieces of growing medium and wouldn't drain properly. Some boxes I used pro-mix and others with Al's mix. Of course, once I realized what was happening, a screwdriver or large nail would easily clear the hole.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2008   #2
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I never post here, but read often. I have 6 of these HEB's that my kids and I made a few years back. I actually have 3 drainage holes in the back of each of my box. I also used old screen door screening to line the holes that I drilled into the PVC pipe for my wicks as well as laid it along top of the inside base there that sits atop the water (I used a partial box inside a box). The screening prevents growing medium from entering the water supply while allowing the water to seep into the growing medium without issues.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote