Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 4, 2007   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Fall Container Garden

Fall garden in full swing. Here are some of my containers with plants. Here we hope to be able to grow outside until the end of October.

The first photo shows from left to right Amish Old Red, Break O'Day in the same container with Amish Old Red, New Big Dwarf, Citron Compact and Black Sea Man. In front is Quarter Century.

The second photo shows from left to right in the front, Bushy Cucumber from SSE public catalog, Applegreen eggplant and Diamond Eggplant. In the back is Rideau Sweet Cherry, Gardener's Delight cherry, Tom Boy cherry and Wheatley's Frost Resistant cherry.

The third photo shows Roza Vetrov dwarf (its pink) and a container with Lipstick sweet pepper and Cherry Gold from the SSE annual.

The fourth photo shows from Sandhill the cuke named Greek. This is going to produce a tremendous amount of cukes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 fall outside garden 001.jpg (314.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 07 fall outside garden 002.jpg (304.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 07 fall outside garden 003.jpg (322.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg 07 fall outside garden 004 (Small).jpg (68.0 KB, 56 views)
Old August 4, 2007   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pictures, Michael!
I like you caging system.

Here is my late started Roza Vetrov.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july07 456 Roza Vetrov.jpg (210.5 KB, 32 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-Great looking plant. Mine is 25 inches (63 cm) tall and is starting to load up with fruit. The cages are from TGS-I have had them about 10 years or more-they fold after the season.
Old August 4, 2007   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Michael, mine is 60-70 cm tall now grown in greenhouse. This is not a best place for tomatoes as I found out recently.
A friend of my wife let us use their 2 greenhouses at their dacha's garden during this season while her parent will be living in USA with her sister's family. But there they have a very heavy soil and one old greenhouse with huge holes everywhere. So the Late Blight already killed 6 tomato plants there after all my prepairations not to give it a chance...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 4, 2007   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-we all make mistakes, and wish we could have anticipated the problems. I put my eggplant in a different place this year, and they did poorly until I moved them back to where they usually are (Good thing about containers is that you can move the plant!). They are doing well now-Rosita, Violette di Firenze and Violette Lunga are starting to pump out the eggplants. I just put in Applegreen and Diamond for my fall crop.
Old August 6, 2007   #6
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Actually that was a not a mistake but kind of teh luck of choice where to place so many tomato plants I have every years extra to the number I can transplant in 2 my main greenhouses

How about that eggplant varieties I've sent you aelry this year? Don't you you say you've already started one of them - the white fruited one?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 6, 2007   #7
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Always so neat and tidy! Very Nice.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-I got no germination on the eggplant you sent me except for one variety and that died before I could transplant-and only one seed germinated. I dont know why I had so much problem with them-maybe the seed was old-I have had it for several years-I got it when you first registered at GW-or maybe I stored it wrong.

Rena-Thats my obsessive-compulsive nature to have everything tidy.
Old August 6, 2007   #9
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Michael, nice plants and a nice looking area to raise them in. I definately like your cages. To bad they don't have anything like that here in Europe. Then again if they did you would pay an arm and a leg for one. Good stuff. Ami
Old August 6, 2007   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ami-I am surprised that there is nothing there for you. Shipping would be prohibitive to Europe from TGS. I am surprised someone hasnt started making them there.
Old August 13, 2007   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

You can make the same type "looking" cages by using concrete reinforcing wire, just bend it where it needs to be bent. They might not be pretty, but what the hay!