Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 25, 2017   #1
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Default Thrips, mites and aphids; Oh my!

I did a quick search before posting. Hoping this is the right approach.

Over a period of just a few days, I noticed some discoloration on the lower leaves of my four week old tomato seedlings. They have been in Earhtboxes about two weeks, and the ones still in the seedling pots are unaffected.

Years ago I would have thought little of it, but last year a problem that started out fairly minor seemed to do some damage. (First two pictures)

Last year I recall blaming aphids (last picture), and 10 years ago I blamed (russet or spider) mites (second to last picture) , but THIS year, I'm thinking thrips. (picture three, four, five)

I've used spinosad for thrips on my nectarines, after years of scarring that I could not figure out. Much better now, although I understand spinosad is not harmless.

I've read Spinosid, and insecticidal soap works for thrips, but not as well, and that insecticidal thread works for mites and aphids.

Any opinions? Anyone know how long the soap lasts, premixed, and concentrate?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aphids 2 2016.jpg (352.0 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg aphid topside 2 2016.jpg (400.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg thrips edges 2017.jpg (223.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg thrips underside 2017.jpg (219.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg mites 2017.jpg (295.2 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg home-design.jpg (47.2 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160613_123819263.jpg (382.9 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 26, 2017 at 04:19 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #2
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-p...hrips-control/

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7429.html
Old May 26, 2017   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

In the past I have had problems with the bugs you mentioned. Ever since i started spraying Spinisad and dusting DE on a regular schedule aint nuthin' livin' in my gsrden anymore. Its the only thing that works for me and it works well.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #4
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

nuthin'? Not sure how I feel about that, but thanks!
Old May 26, 2017   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Met52 is the answer to my whiteflies. It's supposed to work on thrips, too. From what I have read lately, no resistance to it from repeated use has been documented, which is the opposite of chemical sprays.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #6
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2017   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
nuthin'? Not sure how I feel about that, but thanks!
You dont need nuthin' if you dont have bad bugs. I still see plenty of pollinators.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old May 26, 2017   #8
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
You dont need nuthin' if you dont have bad bugs. I still see plenty of pollinators.
So I do need something since I DO have bad bugs?

I have plenty of polinators too, and want to keep them, so glad to know it can still happen.

Spinosad (Monterey garden ????) seems to have really improved my Nectarines. Weird it took so long for me to figure out it was thrips.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 26, 2017 at 04:26 AM.
Old May 26, 2017   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
So I do need something since I DO have bad bugs?

I have plenty of polinators too, and want to keep them, so glad to know it can still happen.

Spinosad (Monterey garden ????) seems to have really improved my Nectarines. Weird it took so long for me to figure out it was thrips.
After one year of TSWV killing off 120 or so plants and another year spider mites killing off around the same amount i go for the total annihilation method. Now i get to eat tomatoes with far less frustration and disapointment.
Old May 26, 2017   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I see aphids and spider mites. the one picture that says is this a bug? that is really bad mite infestation. clip off any leaves that look like that... covered in webbing. no help for that leaf at this point. insecticidal soap works fabulous on young infestations so does a hard spray of water from a garden hose, but it has to be directed at the underside of the leaves. My best approach to aphids when I had a really bad infestation in my greenhouse was ladybugs they got to the underside of all the leaves that were cupped or close to the soil line of any of the plants. if you can get beneficials established in your garden... because they have nectar, forage, coverage (hidey holes) and a protein source (bad bugs) they generally do a good job at keeping the bad bug pressure under control. I would be spraying with a (new, not a recycled one that you have had weed killer in)
hand pump pressure sprayer filled with soapy water-- on the tops and undersides of all leaves at this point and do a weekly scouting for the nasty bugs to keep them in check with the soapy water. the spidermite covered one may need to be pulled and tossed in a trash bag if the whole plant has those webs on it, and put in the garbage.
Old May 26, 2017   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
After one year of TSWV killing off 120 or so plants and another year spider mites killing off around the same amount i go for the total annihilation method. Now i get to eat tomatoes with far less frustration and disapointment.
What are you using for this total annihilation?

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #12
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Thanks clkeiper, and thanks all! The spider mites picture is from many years ago, but I will keep an eye out. The aphid one is from last year, and no visable aphids yet this year.

This year's pictures are pictures 3,4, and 5. Sorry I couldn't make that clear.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 26, 2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old May 26, 2017   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Spinosad will kill all of those as well and is harmless to people/pets. It killed all my thrips in the GH last year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #14
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!
Old May 26, 2017   #15
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

3 4 &5 look like sunburn damage to me, not insects. I may be wrong but it sure looks like mine when putting tomatoes out for hardening off.