Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old July 12, 2017   #1
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Default Rootstock for grafting

I've thought about grafting in the past, but I've always been put off by the price of the F1 rootstock seeds, especially as since joining here the number of plants I grow has gone up from about five or six to about sixty.
It's too late in the season here, but this week for an experiment and as a bit of fun I've tried sowing a couple of alternatives, just to see if there is an improvement in growth rate.
The first is Marmande, which I read in an thesis a couple of years ago is usable.
Secondly a Bulgarian F1 called Stara Mechta which I've not grown before but reportedly has very good root growth and disease resistance.
The scion I've chosen is an F1 called Rosada which for the last couple of years I've tried but it's growth has been quite spindly, so thought it would be a good candidate to try.
I'll try to grow one or two without the rootstock to compare.
Just wondered if anyone had tried anything like this themselves and/or does anyone have any opinion as to my chances of success or abysmal failure .

Kevin
kevrow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #2
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

What is your reason for grafting?
It will make a difference in stock choice.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #3
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for replying,

I suppose, that given that here in the UK we are known for the damp conditions, blight would be a priority.
Over the last two or three years, most of my Heirloom plants have had late blight which I've controlled by daily checking, cutting and spraying.
I've not tried grafting before, so at the very least it will teach me a new skill.
Old July 12, 2017   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Blight is not something than can be addressed by grafting as far as I know.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #5
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Didn't realize that Nematode, but I'm also guessing that growing with a rootstock would hopefully produce a stronger plant more able to recover quicker from an attack of blight or other diseases, so that would be useful.
Old July 12, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm just getting into grafting. I am growing out a plant each of Estamino and RST-105 for seed. The F2 will obviously not have all the disease resistance of the F1, but I am hoping to find some stabilized seed that will work for me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #7
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

I would never have thought of trying that Robbie, it's too late for me to try this year, might give it a go next year though, thanks.
Old July 12, 2017   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Look at it this way. Grafting can double your yield if properly maintained so you could go from 60 plants to 30 and get about the same production. Factor in the time savings from having 30 less plants to maintain + the savings in ferts/sprays & the seed cost is minimal in comparison.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #9
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

I get what you mean, I tend to plant two of each type, the price of the rootstock is half if I only need to plant one. By the way BigVanVader, I think you were involved in a post I read recently that involved Lean and Lower. I've started using this method now,hopefully this will improve my yields.
Old October 23, 2017   #10
nick1977
Tomatovillian™

u can graft tomatoes n eggplant to wild rootstock like the devils plant
a lot of europeans do it in melb im trying this yr

Sent from my SM-J105Y using Tapatalk
nick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #11
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Hello Nick,
I've managed to find a U.K. supplier of tomato rootstock, they stock three types at a reasonable price, Arnold, Submarine and Protector. I'm going to try one of those next year haven't decided yet which one.
Never heared of this Devils plant before though, I've just googled it and one of the results was for a Devil's Trumpet Plant that's supposed to be highly toxic. Do you think, that's the one?
Old October 24, 2017   #12
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

There is a post here about grafting onto Jimson weed which also refers to it as Devils Plant used as a graft in Australia.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32878

As there is a possibility of introducing a poison into the tomato, don't think I'll give it a go, shame it looked interesting.
Old October 24, 2017   #13
nick1977
Tomatovillian™

Default grafting

the devil plant im talking about are

solanum capsiciodes/ cockroach berry

solanum torvum / devils fig

giant devils fig solanum chrys

also australian native kangaroo apple can be used
Old October 24, 2017   #14
nick1977
Tomatovillian™

check out this website it explains which rootstock u can use in australia we can only buy grafted plants cant buy rootstock seeds like overseas

deepgreenpermaculture.com

type grafted eggplant onto devil plant in searchbar
Old October 25, 2017   #15
kevrow73
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Nick,

I've had a quick look and it looks interesting, I'll have to investigate further before thinking of trying it out. Hope it's not the same plant as a Jimson Weed though, I think its classed as a narcotic in the UK and might be illegal to grow. A hoop house full of drugs probably wouldn't go down too well with the local police.