Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2016   #736
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Seedlings were planted out after New Year's and are looking good. Varieties this year:

Big Beef
Sun Gold (back again, replacing Sunsugar)
Cosmonaut Volkov
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye (new!)
Kimberley (new!)
Super Sweet 100s (back again)
Fireworks
Bundaberg Rumball
Green Giant
Black Cherry (back again)

I tried to stick mostly to hybrids and varieties with lower DTMs due to the short season. I also added cherry varieties because some animal is eating the fruit in my garden... it's painful to lose a huge tomato just before it starts to ripen. So far everything has germinated and has true leaves except Green Giant, which also took forever to germinate in the fall.

Also growing some peppers: Horizon, Datil (only one yet to germinate), Banana and Jalapeno. And two new varieties of lettuce: Little Gem and Red Butterworth.

Planning on planting out February 6-7 depending on the long-term forecast. Could delay a week. Haven't had a night even get into the 30s thus far.
Looks like a nice list. The weather is so weird its hard to know what will happen.

Looking forward to pictures.... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #737
jpop
Tomatovillian™

4-8" plants into containers around Jan. 1st. The transplants took off and the oldest are over 2 foot and the younger ones just behind them around 18" and counting. 18 plants out of 20 have blossoms.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #738
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I have oodles of peas in leaf, no pods yet. Romaine lettuce is high about 6" high but spindly yet. Am harvesting Homestead 24 tomatoes 1 every day or so. Blossoms on all others. Rampaos have very strong stems and 3 sets of true leaves. I planted -3 weeks ago are so large they them have bent over in the winds. Will transplant tomorrow. 2 Red Siberian are up but still have seed casing still on their tops. Planted them about a week ago. As I did with Bibb lettuce which is just barely peeking its head out. This is the first time I've planted tomatoes in the Fall or Winter and the first time in Florida at all. I'm still learning as I am from Michigan. Planted them out last spring and seedlings were so good and healthy. Then I learned about nematodes. Never had them up north because of the long freezing weather. Now I am growing in bags for the first time. Any suggestions would be helpful I grew beauties of every sort in Michigan but wonder what skills are needed here.
I think Barb and Marsha on this thread use grow bags. I havent used any yet. Maybe they will chime in. I think they need to be off the ground but cant remember for sure.

Ginny
Old January 17, 2016   #739
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
4-8" plants into containers around Jan. 1st. The transplants took off and the oldest are over 2 foot and the younger ones just behind them around 18" and counting. 18 plants out of 20 have blossoms.
Awesome!
Ginny
Old January 17, 2016   #740
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Awesome!
Ginny
Thank you Ginny. Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-16 14.00.00 1.jpg (402.0 KB, 64 views)
Old January 17, 2016   #741
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Jpop they look so beautiful and healthy. Such big thick stems on them!

Where are you located again?

Ginny
Old January 17, 2016   #742
jpop
Tomatovillian™

East Fort Lauderdale, about 200 miles south of you "as a crow flies". Hope they hold up, unreal weather year thus far. Hope the rain finally subsides, I mean deluge, either every 2 days or 4 days straight.

Last edited by jpop; January 17, 2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 17, 2016   #743
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How are everyones gardens doing? What is doing well and what isnt? How are your seedlings for spring?
Its a cold windy day in Florida... good day for everyone to update.... :-)
Ginny
Tomato seedlings under grow lights:
Champion II
4th of July’
Jetsetter
1st Prize
Tomande
Granada
Mountain Magic
Bush Early Girl
Bush Champion II
Celebrity
Yaqui
Giant Beef
BD Cherry
Bush Goliath
Bloody Butcher

Yet to germinate and probably won’t:
Better Boy
Black Cherry

I’m with you Kay; it is easy to get some varieties started too early. Champion II, Jetsetter, First Prize and a couple others are close to the top of a tall plastic domes and I seeded them on the 6th of January.
elight; I will be interested in knowing how your Green Giant verity works out. I’m anxious to see how
my Giant Beef does. I hope it is all Henry Fields says it is.
My second crop of Premium Crop Broccoli is well on its way. Hope to be harvesting in 4-5 weeks. I have 2 new varieties of Broccoli on order.
1st Castle Dome with DTM of 50, 2nd Lieutenant with DTM of 55. If Castle Dome were to work out I could potentially grow 5 crops of Broccoli between Sep and June. With Lieutenant maybe 4 crops.

Have 3 new, to me, varieties of Bell Peppers under grow lights. Alliance, Early Summer and Touchdown. They are the most disease resistant varieties that I could find being sold in small quantity of seeds.
For example Early Summer and Touchdown are resistant to Bacterial Leaf Spot races 1-5, 7-9.
I’m a little puzzled in how they are currently doing. Possibly I could get some opinions from you folks.
I planted the Alliance in seed starter they germinated ok, but all didn’t make it and they are doing well under the grow lights. I planted Early Summer in a poor, free compost. Lots of leaves and sticks. It germinated well and did splendid under the lights, easily outgrowing the other two varieties. I planted the Touchdown in a potting soil, which contains some slow release fertilizer. They were the first to germinate and they germinated very well. However, they almost refuse to grow under the lights. The plants each have two small true leaves and the seed leaves have turned yellow and now are dropping off. I not at all sure the Touchdown seedlings will make it. What do you think? Variety or seedling soil?
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #744
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

One of my emails today had some good recipes for chile vinegars and oils.
http://www.fieryfoodscentral.com/201...gars-and-oils/

I got another 36 peppers stepped up last night but ran out of soil. I am only going to be keeping around 50 plants and the rest go to the herb farm but I am going to taking care of them through March.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2016   #745
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Tomato seedlings under grow lights:
Champion II
4th of July’
Jetsetter
1st Prize
Tomande
Granada
Mountain Magic
Bush Early Girl
Bush Champion II
Celebrity
Yaqui
Giant Beef
BD Cherry
Bush Goliath
Bloody Butcher

Yet to germinate and probably won’t:
Better Boy
Black Cherry

I’m with you Kay; it is easy to get some varieties started too early. Champion II, Jetsetter, First Prize and a couple others are close to the top of a tall plastic domes and I seeded them on the 6th of January.
elight; I will be interested in knowing how your Green Giant verity works out. I’m anxious to see how
my Giant Beef does. I hope it is all Henry Fields says it is.
My second crop of Premium Crop Broccoli is well on its way. Hope to be harvesting in 4-5 weeks. I have 2 new varieties of Broccoli on order.
1st Castle Dome with DTM of 50, 2nd Lieutenant with DTM of 55. If Castle Dome were to work out I could potentially grow 5 crops of Broccoli between Sep and June. With Lieutenant maybe 4 crops.

Have 3 new, to me, varieties of Bell Peppers under grow lights. Alliance, Early Summer and Touchdown. They are the most disease resistant varieties that I could find being sold in small quantity of seeds.
For example Early Summer and Touchdown are resistant to Bacterial Leaf Spot races 1-5, 7-9.
I’m a little puzzled in how they are currently doing. Possibly I could get some opinions from you folks.
I planted the Alliance in seed starter they germinated ok, but all didn’t make it and they are doing well under the grow lights. I planted Early Summer in a poor, free compost. Lots of leaves and sticks. It germinated well and did splendid under the lights, easily outgrowing the other two varieties. I planted the Touchdown in a potting soil, which contains some slow release fertilizer. They were the first to germinate and they germinated very well. However, they almost refuse to grow under the lights. The plants each have two small true leaves and the seed leaves have turned yellow and now are dropping off. I not at all sure the Touchdown seedlings will make it. What do you think? Variety or seedling soil?
Larry
Larry,

I don't know the answer about the peppers. Just wanted to say I have Jetsetter and Champion II growing as well. I did more hybrids than usual as some were listed as TYLCV resistant.

Somebody else on here should have input on the pepper question.. :-)

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; January 18, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old January 18, 2016   #746
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
One of my emails today had some good recipes for chile vinegars and oils.
http://www.fieryfoodscentral.com/201...gars-and-oils/

I got another 36 peppers stepped up last night but ran out of soil. I am only going to be keeping around 50 plants and the rest go to the herb farm but I am going to taking care of them through March.
Kay that's a lot of stepping up! I stepped up 7 tomato plants... lol. You have all of those Peppers under lights?

Those recipes look good. My friends that are from Jacksonville had some home made Datil Pepper BBQ sauce last night. It was yummy!

Ginny
Old January 20, 2016   #747
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

We all live in Florida but look at these temperature variances at 7am..

Kay -Jacksonville - 30 degress
Ginny - Oak Hill - 37 degrees
Barb - Indialantic - 43 dgrees
Marsha - plantation - 50 degrees

A 20 degree variance top to bottom.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old January 20, 2016   #748
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We all live in Florida but look at these temperature variances at 7am..

Kay -Jacksonville - 30 degress
Ginny - Oak Hill - 37 degrees
Barb - Indialantic - 43 dgrees
Marsha - plantation - 50 degrees

A 20 degree variance top to bottom.

Ginny

I might be the warmest, but I'm still cold! What about Kurt in Homestead? What's that temp?
It's our coldest day yet this winter season.I love love love it!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #749
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Homestead is showing 53 degrees ... :-) Thats almost shorts weather!! In the sun anyways with no wind.... lol.

Old January 20, 2016   #750
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I actually had a light frost on my roof this morning. This summer when we were having record breaking heat here I told anyone and everyone that would listen that I did not care how cold it got I would not complain. I flat out lied. I hate cold weather. At least the sun is shining. I am also tired of all the gray days and excessive rain.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote