Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 7, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Update on my "Farmer Shawn's Carolyn Seed" plants

This year I’m doing some heart shaped tomatoes (a type I’ve never grown before) and some others of foreign origin that I got when Farmer Shawn distributed Carolyn's seeds. Some of the tomatoes are setting fruit, something I’ve been waiting for just to see what they look like! Oh boy! Kinda like Christmas.

This is Vladyka, an indeterminate pink heart of Siberian origin. I can see the heart shape starting and the cluster looks like it will be elongated like some cherry tomato clusters.

Next is Honigsüsser Erloser (Honeysweet Savior), an orange heart from Germany, supposedly with a sweet flavor.

Then there’s Inzhir Rosovyi (Pink Fig), a midseason pink and heavily ribbed tomato of Russian origin. I really like that shape!

There are two others but they’re not showing any fruit yet. Süsse Friesin is supposed to have pale red, egg-shaped cherries and Koroleva Rynka (Market Queen) is just described as red, round, regular leaf,indeterminate and midseason; from Siberia.

Most of all, I can't wait to see how all of these taste!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2021   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if that bottom photo one, the Inzhir Rosovyi one, will be a meaty, paste type? Thanks for the update!
Old June 7, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

They look great. I hope you make seeds.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2021   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I wonder if that bottom photo one, the Inzhir Rosovyi one, will be a meaty, paste type? Thanks for the update!
Well, the brief description I found online said , "Pink pear-ribbed, Indeterminate. Mid season, 350-600g, meaty and juicy." So maybe it will be. It sure looks cool, though!
Old June 17, 2021   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I posted this elsewhere here but I'm gong to repost it under this thread to keep all the Farmer Shawn/Carolyn seed results together.

The first two Süsse Friesin cherry tomatoes from Farmer Shawn's Carolyn seed have been picked. One cherry is slightly larger than the other and measures 1.25" x 1.12", weighing 0.5 oz (13g). The '19 seed was started on 3/21 and the plant was transplanted out on 4/25. That makes the first fruits ready 86 days from seeding and 51 days from transplant. They are the first ripe tomatoes of all 23 varieties I'm growing. None of the others have even started turning yet. Hmmm, I'll have to check Rosella again. She might have one turning.

The description I have (can't remember where I found it) is: "Continuously growing pale red, egg-shaped cherry tomatoes 10-12g, very tasty, with sweet aromatic fruits, resistant. Good producer."

So the weight, color and shape seem to be right. For sure, the plant is loaded with tresses of little greenies. The tress these came from is down near the bottom of the plant.

I'm tempted to wait a day or two before saving the seed and tasting just to make sure they're fully ripe. They seem soft enough. Can't wait! Oh, and I checked Rosella. She has two cherries about ready to pick.
Old June 17, 2021   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i grew honigsusser erloser last year. it did fairly well, but i had a lot of blossom end
rot on early fruit, so maybe doesn't like cool weather much.

inzhir rozovyi, i am growing this year. i had planted two plants. i noticed one had
maybe damped off at the soil line, so i have the top of the plant in a glass of water
to see if it will root. the other plant appears to be ok. looking forward to how this one
does. i like pink, and i like figs, a perfect combo, eh.

keith
Old July 4, 2021   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The first ‘Pink Fig’ tomato (‘Inzhir Rosovyi’) is ready and we tried it last night. It weighed 6.6 oz or 185g. It was pretty good but it still can’t beat ‘Stump Of The World’ in flavor. Still, I’ve saved some seeds from it. This is how they look younger, very fluted:

And this is the same tomato when ripe, all those flutes filling in as it gets older. Just like people, come to think of it!

Old July 4, 2021   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

"It was pretty good but it still can't beat Stump Of The World in flavor". Yes SOTW is a good one for sure. It's been on my grow every year list for many years now.

Last edited by Yak54; July 4, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2021   #9
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Your tomatoes look great! Will you please post pics of Honigsüsser Erloser (Honeysweet Savior)when it ripens?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2021   #10
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Here's the Honigsüsser Erlöser, and it weighed 9.6 oz (272g) . This was taken June 26. I guess I forgot to post it! I've had two more since then but they were cluster mates and touching and where they touched they had been rotting.

And here's the inside. I couldn't find many seed but saved what I did find..

Last edited by GoDawgs; July 11, 2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old July 11, 2021   #11
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

That one looks fantastic! Hearts are pretty stingy with seeds, but I love their meatiness.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2021   #12
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Here's another Inzhir Rosovyi, this one 10.5 oz (294g):

And here's the interior:

Those seed cavities run deep. I couldn't really squeeze out much seed but found more deep inside by scooping with a spoon.

Last edited by GoDawgs; July 13, 2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old July 13, 2021   #13
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I can't find the danged EDIT to fix the ginormous pics!

OK, Imjur has not been cooperative but I finally was able to upload resized photos. Now if I could only figure out how to delete this explanation post!

Last edited by GoDawgs; July 13, 2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

hi! was the tomato sweet? the honigsusser?

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #15
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
hi! was the tomato sweet? the honigsusser?
I am waiting for someone to answer too, Amen!!

I Pray that everyone can come back one day to continue our Research in Dr. Caorliyn Amen!!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote