Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 10, 2020   #46
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

According to Fusion Power, Lorelei seeds are already on their way home, as are Mountaineers seeds. I will grow three plants of each variety the way I'm used to - one shoot. I look forward.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2020   #47
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I received a Christmas present, seeds from Darrel:
Lorelei- which I will grow with other hardy tomatoes (Mountaineers) 041744
Pienollo x La 041744 -together with Pienollo del Vesuvio
Hibor - it would be a good comparison with Sungold (including some Brix measurements), I need to see if I still have any Sungold seeds
Cherokee Jumbo - I have some older seeds Cherokee Purple, maybe they will germinate
I'm looking forward to testing. Thanks Darrel
Vladimír
Old December 24, 2020   #48
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

What is known about the breeding work behind the Mountaineer varieties? I have purchased "Delight." Does Lorelei share the same approach to resistance? Getting another several weeks of good production would certainly be useful to me. And might make spraying a little less frequent. (?)
My experience to date with "Septoria resistance" is pretty mediocre, except that Stellar held up better than Iron Lady, and Stellar is one heck of a producer.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...lar#post746572
That basket of Stellar was one picking!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2020   #49
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I don't have direct information about the genetics of the Mountaineer tomatoes, but from a recent discussion, suspect they are derived from Martha Mutschler's work on Septoria tolerance at Cornell. Supposedly it is better than Iron Lady. As stated earlier, I have not grown them yet so don't have experience in my climate. Iron Lady was not tolerant when I grew it a few years ago.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2020   #50
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

" Supposedly it is better than Iron Lady."
In a one-time test here, Iron Lady was distinctly poorer with Septoria than Celebrity. There is no citation of Septoria resistance with Celebrity, so presumably it owes that to its vigor. If only I liked the taste!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2021   #51
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

This is a great thread. And I am honored to be one of those who will test both Mountaineers mainly for septoria and late blight resistance. The two have been my nightmare for years.

I have a question though that is not about them. There was a discussion on our Czech forum about blossom end rot resistant varieties. It strikes me strange as BER is a physiological problem, not a pathogen. Is there any such variety? Is it possible to cultivate such a variety? Or is it just about higher or lower tolerance to BER?

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #52
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It means it is less sensitive to what causes BER. Probably better calcium absorption through the roots, a more even transpiration, who knows what other ways of regulating calcium transport. There are definitely big differences in ber 'resistance' among varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #53
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

That is exactly the question: what factors are at play and to what extent? We know the basic principle: insufficient intake of calcium. We probably know of some factors but I believe there is a whole set of factors we just don't know about or don't understand well. We can't really make a plant truly resistant to BER. That would mean defying all the factors, not just one pathogen. It's a completely different kettle of fish.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2021   #54
atilgan
Tomatovillian™

Mountaineer Delight got good returns from 123 growers for taste and Septora leaf spot resistance. For details
https://www.northeastipm.org/partner...m-report-2019/
atilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2021   #55
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hi Darrel,

Thanks for sharing seeds. A couple questions out of curiosity I'm hoping you can answer.

1) Is Lorelei the first generation saved from the stand out plant from LA0417 or have you followed it and saved seed for multiple generations?

2) Is Piennolo X LA0417 plant #4 the same as Piennolo x Lorelei and is the seed F1 or have you followed a selection for multiple generations?

Thanks in advance. I'm excited to grow Lorelei and Cherokee Jumbo this year.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2021   #56
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

1. Lorelei is about 7 generations from the original plant of LA0417 that was highly disease resistant. There were minor variations in the first 4 growouts that have stabilized in the current line. Most of the variation was in some fruit having a slight nipple and others having a round blossom end. There was some variation in flavor nuances so I selected for rich tomato taste.

2. Piennolo X LA0417 is 3 generations (F4 seed) from the F1 cross between Piennolo del Vesuvio X LA0417. I selected for stable disease resistance, high production, storage ability (set on the counter ripe for a month or more), and flavor. It happened to retain the Potato Leaf gene but that was not a selection criteria. One caution, these plants set a VERY heavy fruit load. Amend the soil accordingly!
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2021   #57
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again Darrel, I am growing Lorelei and Cherokee Jumbo this year. In my attached image, Lorelei is with 15 other indeterminates and 2 tomatillos all seed sown on 4-4-2021. Lorelei is quite the vigorous little seedling with unique leaf shape compared to everything else. Lorelei is middle row 2nd position from the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79775EF9-3FB7-48C6-8223-0E098E7EC7D1.jpg (235.1 KB, 182 views)
Old May 13, 2021   #58
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

All my indeterminate seeds were sown April 4th. Planted out today, May 13. Lorelei stands out as a plant—height, branching and spread, and also had the most roots of any of my tomatoes—a collection of heirlooms, crossed and commercial F1. Closest in size and roots was Lilians Yellow Heirloom. Attached are pictures of Lorelei. Thanks Darrel! I should add, this was planted a couple inches deep as well and has a nice thick stem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6BD1233C-63C5-4A82-ABF7-F0EDA1E8A7CE.jpg (194.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 45836CE0-AB35-4FCF-BA7C-E5ED7D176509.jpg (348.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; May 13, 2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old May 16, 2021   #59
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I have planted two Lorelei plants next to Mountaineer Pride and Mountaineer Delight. One Hibor plant and one Cherokee Jumbo. I'm really looking forward to Pienollo x LA 04174, I have three seedlings and I'll compare them with Pienollo del Vesuvio. So far the season has not started well, winter and now it has been raining for four days.
Vladimír
Old May 27, 2021   #60
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It's cold and wet here. So far, the tested tomatoes are bravely holding on and, just like me, are looking forward to the predicted heat.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2953.jpg (209.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Teploty v květnu.jpg (56.5 KB, 84 views)