Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2018   #1
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default It's possible?

Good afternoon from Spain, first of all thank you for everything I am learning with you. and for your generosity.
This year I will dare to make crosses of tomatoes, and I have a question. Is it feasible to cross a small cherry tomato with another giant tomato? or maybe it is better to try to make crosses with the size of the similar tomato ?. I hope to have explained well and sorry for my English. Thank you very much.

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #2
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

It is indeed possible. The F1 will be however cocktail size (30-60gram). But you get a big diversity in sizes and possibly shapes from f2 onward.
You can get some pretty interesting tastes however, since there's imo more variance in cherry taste then bigger varieties.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Nicolas!

You may be wondering about the feasibility of recovering large size from a cross between a cherry and a large fruit? Assuming that a large fruit is desired.

Small size does tend to dominate in resulting F2's, so that you will have to grow more F2 plants to recover a large fruited line from your cross. The same is true for a cherry or intermediate sized fruit, that the F2 will tend to be skewed towards the smaller sized parent in the cross.

If growing space is at all limited, you may find your F2 selection is all about finding those few large fruited ones, in crosses with smaller fruit. Frogsleap published some statistics on his blog, where they found the recovery of large size to be only around one in ten iirc. So you might find 2 large fruited F2's if you grow 20 plants. If you want more than two to choose from, to select for other traits in that generation, you will have to grow more.
In contrast, if you cross two larger sized fruit, your F2 selection can be focused on other traits.

Asi sera mas dificil buscar fruta grande utilizando un pariente 'cereza', pero es possible (con mas espacio/ o paciencia / o suerte que tambien figura) segun la decision que este tiene rasgos geneticos distintos e importantes para su objectivo, que no se encuentran en otro tomate mas grande. (Wow that was harder than I thought! Just thought I would stand in your shoes for a minute. )

Don't forget to post about your crosses in the Crosstalk subforum! We love hearing about these projects.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The KARMA cherries are the result of a cross between a cherry and a large beefsteak. All the progeny from this cross has been cherry- small cocktail size except one small beefsteak that appeared in the F5. Cherry size and form is strongly dominant. If your goal is a beefsteak I would cross two large tomatoes. If your goal is small fruit you can use a large tomato as one of the parents.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2018   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

As has been said,small size is dominant to large size and here's just one example that Bill Jeffers bred to show how he got what he did.

The final variety was and is called Little Dixie, which is a cocktail meaning large red cherry.

The initial cross was between Brandywine, large and Pink, crossed with NAR, Neves Azorean Red, a large beefsteak type.

Then he made selections, got what he wanted and crossed that with a cherry, I assume a red cherry, he didn't specify which cherry.

Made selections again, and finally got what he wanted and when it was genetically stable, he named it Little Dixie and I love it.

Others that he bred well, two more where he didn't give all the specifics

Eva Ste. Wendell; Big Beef X Eva Purple Ball

Rosedale: maroon, clear skin flat beefsteak, is PL, has Cherokee Purple as part of the parentage.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old March 25, 2018   #6
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much for your clarifications, I am quite clear, Thank you

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote