Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 1, 2014   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Clash Of The Titans

Yes invasive species is what I am taking about.
Last spring I planted two of the most horrid plants on earth.
English Ivy and Cape Honeysuckle.

I intended to grow them knowing full well some peoples hatred of them.
So far they are doing quite nicely in their new home.
The honeysuckle isn't blooming but I think it is because of too much shade.
The crazy thing has put out runners everywhere looking for sun.
It is weird it will run a bit put out a bush and run again.
I have never seen anything like it.
I feel like a mad scientist watching his monster grow.
The ivy is doing better than expected too, they are running all over the place and it is only in its first year.

If they take over it will be fine by me all I have to do it keep it trimmed on the tree trunks about 8 feet up.

In my back yard there are china berry trees coming up everywhere.
Soon it will be reforested by them.
They are like a cactus of trees, during the drought they didn't even act like they wanted water.

I dont know why I didn't do this years ago.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

When I go out into the woods, I can't tell which species have been growing here for a year, or which have been growing here for a decade, or which have been growing here for 500 years, or which have been growing here for any other arbitrary and capricious length of time.

They all provide ecosystem services of one type or other. They are all preyed on or used by some species or other. I don't see any mono-cultures of invasive species... The only thing I can observe is species co-existing just like they have always coexisted in every habitat: being used as food or shelter by other species at some time or other in their respective life-cycles.

I am certain that none of the species of plants that I observe are native species, because around 15 thousand years ago what is now desert was covered in 600 feet of water, and so were the surrounding 20,000 square miles. So there are no native species of plants in my area.

The USDA sent me a letter the other day accusing me of being a terrorist smuggler and destroying the country because of my interest in growing non-native plants. I scoff at the paradigm that there is something that can be labeled an invasive species. The way I see it, invasive species propaganda and fears are just a method of instilling fear in order to more effectively sell poisonous -cides.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
The USDA sent me a letter the other day accusing me of being a terrorist smuggler and destroying the country because of my interest in growing non-native plants. I scoff at the paradigm that there is something that can be labeled an invasive species. The way I see it, invasive species propaganda and fears are just a method of instilling fear in order to more effectively sell poisonous -cides.
But yet I bet they never send Home Depot or Lowes a letter reprimanding them for introducing invasive spieces to the environment.
Not much they have to sell there came from Texas and many of them are considered invasive.

The Chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach) was introduced to America in the 1830's as an ornamental and has done very well.
When I was a kid you only saw them in yards now everywhere I look there is one coming up.
The wood is valuable but not utilized in the US.
It is kin to the mahogany family.

Joseph are they after you for growing Okra?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote