Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 26, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Muddy Bucket Farm has begun 2019 Season

I thought I would show what we're up to this year. I have acquired a 4 foot long germination heat pad. This is my setup to get the flats loaded and seeds into the flats. This year I'm comparing Miracle Grow Seed Starting mix with Jiffy Seed Starting mix. In the picture below, there are three 72 cell flats, two 24 cell flats, and the first of the seedlings into pots (the gray wash tub). This is day 6 and I have about 10% of the cells with germination showing "little hooks" coming up.

Also in the picture is the white bucket with two plants that I've overwintered. To the left of the window is the controller for the heat mat and that is set for 81 degrees Fahrenheit.

And, also on the left, the pink "Christmas Cactus" that I've had in my ICU most of the winter. A family member said they had been trying to get it to bloom, but had no blooms for two years. I gave it a shot of "MG for acid loving plants", and it bloomed its butt off.

So, that's my setup this year. 121 varieties scattered among 264 starter cells.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GerminationCentral2019.JPG (228.7 KB, 113 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Nice! I know there are some KARMA seeds in this very neat and orderly system
Here’s to a great start and an excellent season ahead.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Karen. Karma Pink, Karma Peach, Karma Purple Multiflora, Polaris, and Midnight Sun are all there. All are already showing little hooks except for Midnight Sun which should show up any moment now. I check all my trays three times a day until they are all up.

I grew Karma Pink last year and I'm really looking forward to the other 4. Thanks again for the super generosity of both you and Marsha.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 26, 2019   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Yes, Karen. Karma Pink, Karma Peach, Karma Purple Multiflora, Polaris, and Midnight Sun are all there. All are already showing little hooks except for Midnight Sun which should show up any moment now. I check all my trays three times a day until they are all up.

I grew Karma Pink last year and I'm really looking forward to the other 4. Thanks again for the super generosity of both you and Marsha.
I'll be interested to read about MS, I have more seeds if it doesn't come up, from different fruit.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I'll be interested to read about MS, I have more seeds if it doesn't come up, from different fruit.
Well, I'm not worried, but I do fully appreciate your concerns. It's way too early in my processes. I won't be concerned until something like day 14. Right now, for the ones in the Jiffy mix, it is only day 2 1/2. I'll keep posting as things progress.

Marsha, just remember last year and Grandma Oliver's Chocolate. The seeds from you were up in just two days == 5/5,

Take care, ladies.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 26, 2019   #6
clara
Tomatovillian™

This a really nice looking set-up, Ted! Good look for all seedlings, but I'm sure you'll have it!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2019   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
This a really nice looking set-up, Ted! Good look for all seedlings, but I'm sure you'll have it!
Well, howdy, Miss Clara. Yes, there are a few in there you'd be interested in. A couple of Pulheims, a yellow dwarf, and one with your handle on it. I hope that one germinates. I'll have to check my list for others that might hold your interest.

I'll let you know what else might show up. In the meantime, tell that adopted great nephew that I think about him. And be sure to give him an extra hug.
Gotta go and fix some supper. I'm on permanent KP until the surgeon clears DW for retaking her house. I may keep her for another 55 years.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 26, 2019   #8
PlainJane

Very nice looking seed starting space and setup. Just natural light?
Old March 26, 2019   #9
clara
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, howdy, Miss Clara. Yes, there are a few in there you'd be interested in. A couple of Pulheims, a yellow dwarf, and one with your handle on it. I hope that one germinates. I'll have to check my list for others that might hold your interest.

I'll let you know what else might show up. In the meantime, tell that adopted great nephew that I think about him. And be sure to give him an extra hug.
Gotta go and fix some supper. I'm on permanent KP until the surgeon clears DW for retaking her house. I may keep her for another 55 years.
Ted, I've been thinking of her so many times! All the VERY best to her - and you of course!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #10
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Midnight Sun made its debut last night. Now all the varieties I got have shown germination and will be just another "I told you so".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old March 28, 2019   #11
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Nice set up. I haven't used a mat myself either. Curious to hear your opinion on it.
Old March 28, 2019   #12
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
Nice set up. I haven't used a mat myself either. Curious to hear your opinion on it.
I really think it takes the mystery out of the process. You don't have to totally rely on room temperature. I have the one pictured set at 81 degrees F. At that temp, I can do peppers easily as well as make sure that tomatoes are coming on earlier. I paid about 55 bucks for that one you see. But, it allows me to set the temp any time I wish. I can only say that I wonder how I got along without one for so many years. It is definitely worth the price.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; March 28, 2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old March 28, 2019   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to future pictures and updates.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Midnight Sun made its debut last night. Now all the varieties I got have shown germination and will be just another "I told you so".
Y ipee! Yay! Hooray! Did I mention I am happy?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote