Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 1, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplanted all to cups

First year of trying to grow from seed and today after 4 weeks of growth in the peat pots I replanted all 22 Tomato & pepper plants into clear 9oz. solo cups. Here's what I did filled each cup 3/4 full of new Burpee coconut coir seed starter mix that I put in the microwave 3 times with 2min. sessions to kill any bad stuff. I very carefully removed each seedling from the old mix and removed as much coco coir from the roots as possible. I labelled with marker pen each variety before hand then made a generous cavity in the new mix so there would be enough room for the root system, I planted the tomatoes deep so they will have a strong root system when its time for final planting outside. I know replanting puts some stress on the seedlings so I have them in a dark area now. How long would you wait til they go back under the grow light and how much time should they spend under the lights before I go back to 16hrs? Another question concerning watering... In the peat pots the seedlings seemed to either be to wet but then in just a few days the seemed very dry what can I expect from the 9oz. plastic cups? I poked holes in the bottom of each cup so I can still bottom water. I was wondering if I could use a spray bottle to add a little moisture to the plants between watering?
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #2
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you're doing fine! I'd give em a day in low light to acclimate, then give em a nice shot of half strength MG Blue and put em back under the lights. Good luck!

Jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jetstar, I personally pot up in 16 oz. cups, and I don't change the lighting schedule. I only bottom water.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #4
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Mine usually go directly back under the lights. Never had a problem. but I don't remove any soil from around the roots. Just out of one cup, root ball intact, into another larger cup. So yours may need a little more time to recover. Someone here experimented with the clear cups once I remember but I can't recall what the result was. It will be interesting to hear how you do.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #5
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Unless you had multiple plants in the peat pots & wanted to separate the seedlings, I don't know why you would take them out of there & remove any coir but, to answer your question:

I would put the seedlings back under lights, toward the ends of the the tubes, 6 inches below them. Start with reduced hours (at least 4 or 5), as a precaution. Keep them just barely moist, no more. If they show no ill-effects, you should be able to quickly (within a couple of days) work your way back up 16 hours & the center of the tubes.

If you have Superthrive (plant vitamins) give your seedlings the recommended dose for transplanting. I have not used the product in >15 years but 10 drops to 1 gallon of water seems vaguely familiar. If you don't have Superthrive, give the seedlings a weak solution (1/10th strength) of a balanced fertilizer.

As long as it is not too cold, they should be fully recovered & making new roots within a week.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2018   #6
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies its all new to me so any advice is welcome
Old April 2, 2018   #7
killab
Tomatovillian™

typically you want to avoid clear cups as it'll encourage algae growth....not a big deal,but you might want cover them up with tape or something
killab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I had to use clear cups once a couple years ago and they were fine. I was traveling and
that was all I could find. Just a dozen tomato starts but produced nice fruit once the
seedlings recovered from being hit by frost in their 1010 tray.

I prefer my tall 4" pots.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #9
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

There now back under the grow lights and looking just fine, I have to ask why some here are against using clear Solo cups? Why would a clear cup be bad?
Old April 2, 2018   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is a thread about using clear cups somewhere here - it has been a while. They work fine. I use red ones because I like the color red.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #11
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
There now back under the grow lights and looking just fine, I have to ask why some here are against using clear Solo cups? Why would a clear cup be bad?
Algae, for one.

Roots also don't like to be exposed to light.

And some of the light passing through the clear plastic will heat up the root-zone... which also could be bad (depending on the ambient temperature).
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2018   #12
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Okay I can just slip a colored cup over the clear cup thanks for the heads up.